Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,
what is the latest and greatest in kayak bike trailers? Is extra cycle still the best out there?

I am looking for something for either road or mtn bike. It would need to be very efficient as I have a good hill to climb.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. The trailers look nice but they weigh 30lbs. I'd be interested to see how much harder it is to pull a 30 lb trailer loaded with kayak gear.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Why not use a boat cart? The boat becomes the trailer. If you have enough storage space in your boat, you can even haul the cart with you down the river. You would have to rig up the tow bar yourself.

·
Renaissance Redneck
1,251 Posts
Look on Goog Images for "Bike Trailer" There are lots of pics of modified kid carriers.
I made a boat trailer out of one of the old cheap kid carriers (the one with the orange plastic tub that they sit in). I replaced the tub with a 2x4 mounted to the axle at one end and the tongue at the other. Then strap a kayak or canoe to the board. Worked great.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yeah kid carriers are good too. I actually have one, a Nordic Cab, the superstructure comes off and its probably slightly less than 30lbs. But they are only certified up to about 50lbs or so. Not enough for creek boat and gear, and atleast with mine I'm pretty sure it would break much beyond the limit.

·
Renaissance Redneck
1,251 Posts
Yeah kid carriers are good too. I actually have one, a Nordic Cab, the superstructure comes off and its probably slightly less than 30lbs. But they are only certified up to about 50lbs or so. Not enough for creek boat and gear, and atleast with mine I'm pretty sure it would break much beyond the limit.
Nah... weight limit schmieght limit.
I had a canoe, day trip gear and 2 kids riding on the one I made out of that silly little POS bike trailer.
If you already have it you might as well hack it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I built one out of a bike trailer for a child. All i did was lay down the push bar behind it to support the rear of the kayak. worked great !

·
Registered
32 Posts
$45 Special

I got a used Cabela's aluminum kayak cart that I strap my XP10 to and then I made a simple hitch set up that mounts to my rear rack of my mountain bike. The wheels are detachable and the cart folds so I can do solo shuttles. It has worked so well that I have no need to look into a more expensive unit.

If I had some pics I would post them but everyting is put away for winter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts