Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate driving my car the two miles down to smelter because wasted gas/environment. So I was wondering if anyone has made a bike rack. I read somewhere that Eric Jackson was designing one for himself and two kids. I don't care if it mounts to the bike, but I think a little pull trailer would be nice to also hull gear. Please reply with any pictures/ideas. If its a good one you can market and sell it because I don't see anything on the market. Thank you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply that companies is sweet. I read the reviews and multiple ones mention carrying a kayak but I still don't understand what attachments I need, and what size kayaks they will carry. Thanks sorry to be slow.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Those things will carry any of the playboats - new and old - and I wouldn't doubt that they would carry the old school boats, like the Dancer and Hurricaine (Pro Rodeo Model). Personally I've seen a Necky Switch strapped up on one and the rack was bomber. This set-up would be perfect for the short commute to the town playpark. I'd like to get one myself, or at the risk of taking business from one and giving it to another, maybe we should give Hobie a shout and see if he could weld up a copy...

·
Registered
105 Posts
make a rack

Thanks for the post I've been looking for these things for a while. I've seen them around but could never find who makes them. Problem is they are a mad expensive for me. I was wondering if someone thought a setup simimlar to the surfboard carrier would work and if someone like hobie could make one up. Here is a link to what I'm talking about. I just need to carry a g-ride.
http://www.rodndtube.com/surf/info/surf_racks/BicycleSurfboardRack.html

-Leo

·
Registered
569 Posts
I think that you are going to struggle with the weight of a boat being that far from the center of the bike. Surf boards don't weigh much. It might work if you balance your gear on a rack on the other side but you should try to keep it as close to the bike as possible.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I hauled a 12 foot kayak, 70 lb. dog and a small raft from Savanah Ga., to Key West Fl. It will haul anything.

hobie

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi,

I made a bike trailer last year to take my boat down to smelter. I lived up by North City Market and biked down there all the time with it and it worked well. It only cost me about $75 to make. Click here to see a picture of it. It worked sweet for me. Let me know if you have any questions on making one. Have a good one.

Tim

·
Registered
3 Posts
I saw a guy use the Kayak Pack (www.kayakpack.com) on his bike to haul his boat around town. Another guy at Gauley Fest last year was carrying his kayak on his back with the Kayak Pack using his unicycle, plus he had a beer in one hand!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Timmy

Hey thank you all for responding. But timmy, where did you get your materials, are there wheels on the front and back? and how did you attach it to your bike. Thank you. Marc

·
Registered
1 Posts
here's an idea

I always thought that a golf bag caddy would make an excellent beginning for a kayak trailer. It might be that all you need to do is tie the boat to it and tie the front of your boat via the carry strap to you bike's rack. I've seen caddies in Gart sports adds for under $35.00. Or better yet, steal one off of a golf course! Those bastards could stand to get SOME kind of exersize :) Send me a picture if it works!

·
Registered
245 Posts
what a timely post! I've been wrestling with this idea for a year or so now, and haven't really gotten very far. I tried a really old golf bag cart, which I just couldn't get sturdy enough, or lashed well to the boat. I think the idea of just attaching wheels to the boat, and the boat to the bike afterwards, using the hull to be the "trailer" and stuffing everything into it would be best.

tim->how did you attach your boat to the bike then? did it require stabilizers or did the two wheel approach keep it solid?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts