Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for recommendations on a creek boat bag for an upcoming trip to South America. I've looked into salamanders bags, i'm just wondering if there are any other companies that are also making bags. also, if someone has a bag they would like to get rid of, i'd love to purchase a used one.

thanks for the beta

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my boat is 102" long, so i'm pretty positive it will fit salamander bags. THank you for the offer, I may have to take you up on it. Airlines are getting crazier about what they will allow to fly, so i'm hesitant to put my eggs all in one basket. Ive got a lead on a boat in ecuador, so hopefully the offer will still be on the table if and when this falls through. thanks again, and i'll shoot you an email if i need to borrow your bag.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the heads up, my boat is the same length. how did you modify it? and was it a permanent modification?(which would rule out me borrowing somebodies bag)....patty thanks for info on golder river sports, Ill give them a call to see what the story is.

·
Registered
186 Posts
just a heads up. Flying to south america once with my kayak in a kayak bag for travel, the airline had me open it and said nope. that's a kayak. the you're fucked. miss your flight and go home with your boat in a bag or scramble for air frieght which gets very complicated and you probably miss your flight anyway. don't think your fooling anybody by calling it a jungle exploring vessel in a bag. take a friend with you to the airport that is not traveling so that if they say no, your buddy can just take it home for you and you don't miss your flight.
i've been busted around the globe flying with a boat and i really now just avoid it. line up one to buy or rent wherever you are going then sell it when you leave. or line up air frieght before u go and plan on spending a full day retrieving it on the other side.

·
Registered
186 Posts
oh yeah i forgot to say i have a kayak bag for sale in carbondale.
i'm in south america now with a a boat line up. fuck flying with a kayak if you can avoid it. it can really complicate and make your trip expensive.

·
Registered
303 Posts
who are you flying with? i flew my boat to montana this summer with frontier and they didnt have any problems with it. they just charged me an oversize bag charge, which granted was as much as my ticket.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Ask for Bart at Golden River Sports for sale prices. Also, Bart has some grey muslin type cloth he gives people for free that you can wrap your boat in inside the boat bag. Tell them it is a "surf ski" at the airline counter and they probably won't question you as long as height, weight and depth added together is under 126" and weight is under 50 lbs. If they do open the bag, all they will see is a grey cloth and usually won't go through the drill of having you unwrap it. Don't fly Delta - they won't take it. Period. Frontier is the best. United is pretty good. So is US Air. But you will pay. Usually at least $100 each way.

Also, my best advice to all travelers is GET YOURSELF SOME TRAVEL INSURANCE. Its worth the $50. They broke my paddle last year and my dry bag looked like it had been dragged across the tarmac for a mile. My insurance paid for a brand new paddle and a new dry bag too. Plus if you get sick or have to be evacuated or whatever - travel insurance will save you thousands upon thousands. I got really sick in Costa Rica 4 years ago. Covered hospital bills, change in airline fare, hotel stay, phone calls - everything. Over $2,000 they covered for $50 worth of insurance. http://www.travelinsure.com/what/selecthigh.asp

1 - 11 of 11 Posts