Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Buzzers.

I'm looking for a kayak for my 15-yo daughter. She is 5' 7" (on her way to 5' 9" prolly) and is about 105 pounds.

She had her roll in the pool at age 8 in a Fun 1 and then later in a Fun 1.5. She had a short (safe) swim in the Ark at Big Bend and got nervous about kayaking and has been out of it for a couple years. I'm psyched she recently asked for another boat.

We're looking for a stable, easy to paddle, used kayak for someone her size. She's not the play boater type (I think a down-river kayak would be her style?) and she's strong, but not super-aggressive.

Advice? Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
i have a kayak my daughter use for a few years called perception madness it was super stable for her she was about the same size as my daughter.
let me know if your interested. I would let it go for 100.00

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
If she's looking for more of a river runner then maybe the Dagger Axiom XS? They are selling it as the Rewind XS now too if you can't find one used. A little longer and higher volume but still has a decent planning hull and edges so you can carve in and out of eddies and have fun surfing.

Its hard not to recommend the Fun series since she has experience. If she really doesn't want that...maybe look into a Zen series in whatever the smallest size is. A couple companies make creek boats for the smaller people too.

Gotta love the good cheap kayak that go2water offered too. Its on the older side...but certainly worth what they are asking. Maybe worth grabbing to see how serious she actually is about getting back in the river.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks go2water! I'm definitely interested; where are you located?

And thanks EM! I'll look into the Axiom XS. I think she's wanting a more stable and forgiving boat for the next phase of learning. And river runner (higher volume?) is what I think would fit her now, but I know nothing about kayaks!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have an original (I think) Jackson rocker, which is a great boat. Smaller volume creeker. Let me know if you’re interested. May not be what your looking for but I loved it.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts

And thanks EM! I'll look into the Axiom XS. I think she's wanting a more stable and forgiving boat for the next phase of learning. And river runner (higher volume?) is what I think would fit her now, but I know nothing about kayaks!
I looked it up and the it is was the Axiom 6.9 but is now Rewind XS. Same boat, just a different name. They made a new boat called the Rewind, which is brand new and completely different for the Small, Medium and Large but they just turned the Axiom 6.9 into the the extra small version of the Rewind if that is clear).

I think that boat, and a few others I can't remember the name of that are true river runners for people her size are the best way to go. Still have a little play in them, but not so much to make it edgy and tail happy. Longer and higher volume but still a little slicy so you can learn to carve turns and such. I think you can go wrong going the other way too...too much volume and it'll feel huge on her so I personally never recommended full on creek boats for this kind of use (sorry T-Boss...not trying to block your sale).

·
Registered
33 Posts
The axiom 6.9 is much too small for your daughter, although she is light she is too tall for any kids boat at this point (and if she isn't, she will be in a few months!) The small Jackson Zen is a great boat that is fairly narrow, stable, and small. Would be a great boat if you can find one. If you can find a Jackson Fun Runner 60, that is probably the perfect boat for someone of her size/ability. I'd avoid old boats with crappy outfitting, as that will make things difficult for her, and I'd avoid creek boats that are really wide with tall decks that make it awkward to paddle.

·
Registered
47 Posts

Go2water is located in Arvada 303-981-9843

·
Registered
5 Posts
Small Jackson Zen 3. Probably the most stable boat there is, and she’s not at the bottom of the weight range. Tracks very well and is very compliant. There are not a ton of them used, but I was able to find one for $750 a few months back.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I looked it up and the it is was the Axiom 6.9 but is now Rewind XS. Same boat, just a different name. They made a new boat called the Rewind, which is brand new and completely different for the Small, Medium and Large but they just turned the Axiom 6.9 into the the extra small version of the Rewind if that is clear).

I think that boat, and a few others I can't remember the name of that are true river runners for people her size are the best way to go. Still have a little play in them, but not so much to make it edgy and tail happy. Longer and higher volume but still a little slicy so you can learn to carve turns and such. I think you can go wrong going the other way too...too much volume and it'll feel huge on her so I personally never recommended full on creek boats for this kind of use (sorry T-Boss...not trying to block your sale).
No worries on the sale block. One of those boats buried in the shed that "I swear I'll paddle it again, I'd hate to see it go" even though it needs to go. I probably agree, sound like she is taller and growing, so the boat would fit well, but maybe a bit much volume wise.
Something with at least some edge would be a better choice for learning eddy turns and would prevent her from getting comfortable in a rounded hull then having to re-learn when she progresses and wants a more edgy feel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have two daughters, 2 years apart, that both kayak. When they were about your daughter's age, I got them each used Zen 2's, medium, since they were a little heavier than your daughter. These were terrific boats for them to gain confidence, planning hull with edges, super stable, it helped them advance from class 2 to 3 now 4. They still have these boats, they are now 19 and 21, and use them when they want something more stable. My younger daughter kayaked a lot last year and learned the weakness of these boats, not playful enough. She tried out a friend's Antix and loved it, and just picked up a used one for the coming season. Can't say enough good things about the Jackson Zen, 2 or 3. Well worth the money since they're still paddling them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The axiom 6.9 is much too small for your daughter, although she is light she is too tall for any kids boat at this point (and if she isn't, she will be in a few months!) The small Jackson Zen is a great boat that is fairly narrow, stable, and small. Would be a great boat if you can find one. If you can find a Jackson Fun Runner 60, that is probably the perfect boat for someone of her size/ability. I'd avoid old boats with crappy outfitting, as that will make things difficult for her, and I'd avoid creek boats that are really wide with tall decks that make it awkward to paddle.
Bingo. Perfect answers. For the Zen, look for generation 1 Zen 55. If you think she will stick with it and want a higher perf boat later, the Zet Veloc is a modern, high perf creek boat for lightweight people.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Buzzers.

I'm looking for a kayak for my 15-yo daughter. She is 5' 7" (on her way to 5' 9" prolly) and is about 105 pounds.

She had her roll in the pool at age 8 in a Fun 1 and then later in a Fun 1.5. She had a short (safe) swim in the Ark at Big Bend and got nervous about kayaking and has been out of it for a couple years. I'm psyched she recently asked for another boat.

We're looking for a stable, easy to paddle, used kayak for someone her size. She's not the play boater type (I think a down-river kayak would be her style?) and she's strong, but not super-aggressive.

Advice? Thanks in advance!!
Hey! I'm about your daughter's size and have some of the same paddling qualities you've described. I'd really recommend she try out at RPM. It's a classic design: confidence inspiring stability, fast through holes, and easy to roll! Not to mention incredibly easy to find at an affordable price. Due to these qualities the RPM helped me become a more aggressive paddler while sparking my interest in downriver play.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Hey! I'm about your daughter's size and have some of the same paddling qualities you've described. I'd really recommend she try out at RPM. It's a classic design: confidence inspiring stability, fast through holes, and easy to roll! Due to these qualities the RPM helped me become a more aggressive paddler while sparking my interest in downriver play.
It's a classic boat for sure.

Not to mention incredibly easy to find at an affordable price.
Surely you jest? There's such a newfound demand for them, the old RPM's that people once sold for $150 they won't now let go for $500!
If you find RPM's or XXX's in decent shape, snap them up. There's definitely a second market for both of them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's a classic boat for sure.

Surely you jest? There's such a newfound demand for them, the old RPM's that people once sold for $150 they won't now let go for $500!
If you find RPM's or XXX's in decent shape, snap them up. There's definitely a second market for both of them.
No jest, I bought my rpm 2 seasons ago for $200. Being a small paddler means options are limited, so boat swaps, facebook marketplace, and patience are my allies.

Finding a decent XXX on the other hand....

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey, I want to thank everybody for the great advice! I was away from the holidays and am psyched to dive into your advice and see what I can work out! She'll be so happy!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just wanted to close this one out...I did a Craigslist search across the country and found two good RPMs for $350-$400 but they were 1,000 miles away so I was considering a boat shuttle plea on the buzz. Then a friend connected me with a facebook post for a boat for just $80 that included a skirt. Couple photos later and my friend confirmed it looked to be in good shape so I set out for the 7-hr r/t drive. Bottom line, I got my daughter an RPM with excellent outfitting, hardly any wear, and a nearly new skirt for $80.

Thanks for the advice, and watch for those deals!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey! I'm about your daughter's size and have some of the same paddling qualities you've described. I'd really recommend she try out at RPM. It's a classic design: confidence inspiring stability, fast through holes, and easy to roll! Not to mention incredibly easy to find at an affordable price. Due to these qualities the RPM helped me become a more aggressive paddler while sparking my interest in downriver play.
Thanks www - your experience was super helpful!

·
My name isn't Will
250 Posts
Yay for the RPM. I was reticent to suggest it because I ~always~ recommend it.

I had three of 'em, and I only paddle one at a time. I finally let one go last summer. The person that bought it was stoked. A couple looked at it first, and I told them it really wasn't the boat they were looking for. They realized I was right, and that's fine. This other guy knew what it was, and from all his reports, he's been loving it. He lives on the river (moving water only), and uses it most every day for an upstream paddle workout.

The oldest one is now a guest boat. I picked up one of the "Limited Edition" versions that actually have factory outfitting.

Almost completely worthless for self-support; no room in the stern. I have a Tornado for that, but the RPM is so comfortable to sit in, and is very predictable. I wasn't that surprised when some of the design elements started showing back up in newer boats.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts