Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I moved up to Montana last weekend about 35 miles north of the northeast corner of Yellowstone NP. I don't know any of the water around here and am really itching to get paddling anyone with any beta would be greatly appricated thanks

Bracken

·
Registered
60 Posts
Alberton Gorge on the Clark Fork, just 1/2 hr. west of Missoula, is a great option with a good playspot called Triple Bridges...Downstream of that, it gets probably III+ or IV, above it is easier, probably II

If you are looking for more, try the Lochsa along Rte. 12 going into Idaho...a bit beafier than Alberton, but pool, drop style

Enjoy....

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've done a little III-IV boating around there. Shoshone thru Cody is a great little play river, with flows for most of the summer. Also the Yellowstone in Gardiner and Yankee Jim Canyon (boiling river is worth the $20 park fee). Seems those are the two in that area and my ability range that I would recommend. Also the stuff outside Bozeman (Gallatin?). I'm sure there is plenty of V's around (e.g. Clark's Fork Box), but someone else will have to chime in there...
Try Core Sports in Cody and Flying Pig Rafting in Gardiner for partners/ beta.

·
Registered
132 Posts
boating around NE corner of Yellowstone

You don't know it yet,but you just found valhalla. Yes the Shohsone is a hidden jewel right behind Cody, (thats in WY), class II- IV+ at normal flows, Northfork Shoshone class III, Moving north, The Clarksfork (also in WY), class III-VI various sections, from alpine to desert canyon, as well as the variety of creeks flowing into it. Moving north, you have rock creek near Red Lodge, the East and West rosebud drainages near Roscoe and the Stillwater and westfork near Absorkee. Nice class III play abound, check at Beartooth whitewater?? in Absorkee for flow data. Then,closer (or so it sounds to you) is the good old Jellystone, 80++ miles of fun. Near Big Timber and Reedpoint are the Boulder River, with good III-IV++ runs, note Hells canyon?? and the Bible section, and thenBig Timber creek with huge slides, (sorry, no time for accurate punctuation or spell check.) Go to Sunshine Sports in Billings for beta and the Beartooth paddler's society for boating partners, and when in cody, visit Gradient Mountain Sports, 307-587-4659, Gradient Mountain Sports - Welcome for the local run info, good luck

·
Registered
71 Posts
Locate a copy of Montana Surf.

You won't regret it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts