Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Water Surfboard Sports equipment Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Watercraft
Hey everyone, I’ve been reading topics for a couple days, and have gained a lot of insight. Thanks! I have a lot of whitewater sup experience, mostly day trips in the NW, along with a raft support MF salmon and a few lower salmon self-support sup trips. I’m trying to get my wife and 2 kids on the lower salmon before they leave the house, so I just picked up a used 16’ Aire Lion Cat, and am trying to figure out how to outfit it. It came with a 120” x 72” nrs frame with 5 bays and 10’ cataract oars, and four big swivel chairs that I will sell. Leaning towards a canyon prospector cooler and vittle vaults for dry box. Drop bags and everything bag for random stuff. I’ve heard a round boat might be better for family hauling, but I like how easy it will be to put on or two of my sups across the tail of the tubes for the crux rapids, and can let the fam float the easy stuff in sups. It might just be one trip a year (I still like my sup self-support trips) so I’m not wanting throw a ton of money at it. I’m an over analyzer, so I enjoy hearing ideas from others. Thanks for any input you all might have.

- Alan

Plant Sky Motor vehicle Mountain Tree

Wood Gas Composite material Landscape Track

·
Registered
658 Posts
Awesome purchase. That rig will haul a bunch of gear and it will totally do what you have in mind. Your plans for drop bags etc are right on as is you instinct to ditch those friggin chairs. WTF are those??? How much stick time do you have? That’s a big boat and a lot to handle especially in wind so take it out and get used to it before you do a Selway or MF or any class 3 + for that matter. Enjoy, that’s a bad ass unit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome purchase. That rig will haul a bunch of gear and it will totally do what you have in mind. Your plans for drop bags etc are right on as is you instinct to ditch those friggin chairs. WTF are those??? How much stick time do you have? That’s a big boat and a lot to handle especially in wind so take it out and get used to it before you do a Selway or MF or any class 3 + for that matter. Enjoy, that’s a bad ass unit.
Thanks! Not much stick time. Two 5 day trips down the lower salmon rowing a friends 14’ RMR round boat hauling the plenty of gear and the rest of my family. Definitely not a lot of stick time, but I only practiced for bout 10 minutes on my local river with that boat unloaded before my buddy gave me the green light to use it. Things went pretty smoothly. Didn’t get out of position once. I was just following my buddy, so I just mirrored what he did. I’ve supped the MF salmon at 4.5 feet, and yeah, I’m not taking this beast down that river until I get some more experience. I just really love the lower salmon, since it’s not too far away and doesn’t require luck to draw a permit.

those big seats were for its previous life as a professional bald eagle watching tour boat on the nooksack. It still has the skagiteagles.com graphic on the bow. Not sure how much energy I’m going to put into changing that. I don’t love the dark green color …but maybe with some yellow tiger stripes it could become He-Man’s “battle cat” lol.
Water Boat Watercraft Vehicle Plant
Cartoon Organism Carnivore Animal figure Art

·
Registered
66 Posts
It is less conventional but I row my cougar from the front sitting on a dry box, with an open bay behind me, then a chair where my wife sits and contains our young one. We have a solid wood floor and side rail decks to keep him contained. Works well for us.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is less conventional but I row my cougar from the front sitting on a dry box, with an open bay behind me, then a chair where my wife sits and contains our young one. We have a solid wood floor and side rail decks to keep him contained. Works well for us.
Thanks. I’ve been thinking about doing something similar. My frame is 120” long, so I think I have enough room to sit on a cooler or dry box have a small empty bay behind me for my wife and kids to out their feet in while sitting on a bench. From back to front I’m thinking everything bag, drop bag under bench, passenger foot bay, dry box/seat, tower foot bay, cooler, drop bag. That’s 7 bays … kind of crazy. If I deleted one of the bays in front of me, would I be too far forward?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I purchased an Aire Lion 16' this year as well. I have a Rogue Gear Works frame (120") that was perfect on the maiden run of Deso/Gray in late July. I am not one with much advice other than being in support of a cool craft. I was running with an RTIC 110 and now have an additional Canyon Prospector 103. The RTIC was a touch taller, but it also allowed for a Scepter jug to sit beside it... the Canyon fits perfectly as the width dimensions of the frame were based on this cooler length. I have two dry boxes (one in front, cooler, rower bay, and dry box two with my seat). I have a rear cargo area as well as a passenger foot rest area in front of the passenger dry box. Bottom line is I am sitting back pretty far and definitely noticed some issues without a passenger up front and the initially rear heavy weighting. Over the course of the trip I was able to modify the weighting and find a better comfort zone for my first time on the oars.

The Vittles Vaults were mentioned earlier and I am a huge fan. I have used these for years for my dogs food, and thought they would be great to separate items in my dry box. They worked like a charm. I even swapped two vaults for loose items from friends that ended up in my dry box. The two vaults went to the rear cargo bay and were awesome under my crossover bag from Stitches and Stuff (KILLER PRODUCT). If you are going to be dealing with more than splashes and rain, these will not keep everything dry. But, for light splashy water contact they were awesome as well as square shaped and easy to pack around. I liked being able to bring up protected bags of chips and bread items in small boxes that were great at keeping the small critters out. They would not have been good for the black bear sow and two cubs we saw, but by then they were at least in the dry box.

Enjoy the boat! I know I certainly look forward to many more trips in mine. The He-Man battle cat idea is interesting... it would definitely stand out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts