Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
The Russian
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran WW last weekend. Thought I'd make another WW video with full footage of all rapids and rapid entrance for all of them as I have learned. Hopefully it would help new boaters on Westwater.

Flow was 5,100 cfs. Skull was huge at this level, I didn't get the footage of it.

No carnage, almost clean runs on everything. It was cold though! brrr

Westwater, Colorado River 5,100 cfs - YouTube

Alex

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Thanks for useful vid.

What was your reasoning for your line through sock it too me? I'm still trying to figure that rapid out. I flipped my last time (which was my first time) through at about the same level.

·
Registered
39 Posts
that was a smooth line through SITM. I always push hard as hell through the meat. Never seen someone backpaddle into the lateral. nice

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
End of the season.......say it ain't so :(:(:(
Thanks for the great videos Alex.

KJ

·
The Russian
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for useful vid.

What was your reasoning for your line through sock it too me? I'm still trying to figure that rapid out. I flipped my last time (which was my first time) through at about the same level.
There are as many approaches to the SITM as boaters you talk to! Everyone has their own lines. I only know of two defined lines. One is the line I took, where you approach it down the right current, meet the first left wave and then turn and bump the big right lateral.

Another approach is to approach the SITM on the very left, right by the rock on the left start pushing forward as hard as you can and if you time it right you should get on top of the river right lateral before the hole.

Whatever works for you and keeps your black side down.

Alex

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
Nice vid, other than the reminder that there are less than 3 minutes of actual whitewater in all of the Canyon proper.

Obviously your SITM line worked fine, but I do not endorse back rowing into features like this. Momentum is your friend.

·
The Russian
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dave you are right on both points. Westwater can be summarized in 3 minutes video! Granted, I did trimmed out a lot of smaller waves. And if we had any mishaps I am sure my video would have been longer to show all the chaos.

Ya I never have nailed SITM line yet, keep trying different approaches. Every time I seem to make it over the top still... I am sure one of these days I will get spanked.

And you are absolutely right about forward stroke, not sure why I pulled back, maybe to turn the boat faster to meet the right lateral...I guess it was a reflex. I advice all the newer boatmen to always push into the waves instead of pull. I guess I better follow my own advice.

Alex

·
The Russian
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for sharing. You elected to not attempt a visit to the RoD? It looked like you took a couple backstrokes as if you were thinking about it...
Ha! I knew someone would call me on it :oops:

I didn't. The Skull eddie was in the shade and it was cold, I didn't want to make everyone wait. This was my passenger's first visit to WW after 6 years since his dramatic flip in SITM, so I didn't want to freak him out even more. But in all honesty, I thought I was safer just to thank the river gods for not flipping me up to that point and enjoy the safe ride :) I guess I am getting older now and a little wiser to know when to say no.

Skull looked enraged at that level! I should have captured it on video.

·
Kjirsten
1,483 Posts
I've never seen that technique used at SITM either- I always thought a right sneak would be impossible there. I would be afraid to give up forward momentum...

I've also never seen the Funnel rock exposed to that degree before. Thanks for sharing- I'm glad we went the weekend before- Sunny and 80!

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
good lines bro.. looks mighty fun i think it may even be worth bringing the neigbors otter down next spring from Bozeman ..

·
Registered
231 Posts
Nice vid, maybe I'll remember the names of the rapids next time! Seems like there was another drop between Funnel and Skull; maybe it just felt that way, since both times I've been down there I've been chasing boats after Funnel, and wondering where Skull was :). That is a steep-walled section to try to get back into a kayak...

·
The Russian
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice vid, maybe I'll remember the names of the rapids next time! Seems like there was another drop between Funnel and Skull; maybe it just felt that way, since both times I've been down there I've been chasing boats after Funnel, and wondering where Skull was :). That is a steep-walled section to try to get back into a kayak...
Between Funnel and Skull you have two drops, one is Surprise and another is Son of Surprise. The Surprise left side is a nasty place to be, that's where my friend flipped my boat

1 - 20 of 46 Posts