Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Buzzard's
We're putting in on the Yampa next Monday. As expected, flow's have been slowing receding. We're planning on having 4 14" rafts, so we're a bit concerned about how this going to effect us.

Based on your experiences, as the water continues to drop, will we run into problems? Dragging? To slow?
American Whitewater - 06. Deerlodge Park to Split Mountain CG, Yampa Colorado, US

Any suggestions/thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We are launching on Wednesday 16th- same advice? We don't mind going slow and dodging but would like to know what the real cut off would be for people that have done some low water there… same stories, lightly loaded boats, some IKs

·
Registered
536 Posts
I used to say ~600 for rafts if you're comfortable with dodging rocks. Yampa at 800 is easier to pick your way through the rocks than Lodore at 800, and has better current as well. I haven't seen Warm Springs at those flows since the new rocks though, so YMMV. Warm Springs used to be a nice little slot at low flows, but the new rocks are upstream of where that happened, and what I've seen at ~1800 makes me think it might be tougher.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yampa Low Water

Thanks for the info asleepattheoars. Taken a little load off my mind about if we were actually going to be able to pull this off with the rafts. Should be around a 1000 when we launch and I've done quite a few low water Lodore Canyon trips.

Goat, you doin 4 or 5 days?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Biggest concern = mosquitos and biting flies

Just got back from the Yampa. Great trip! But the mosquitos and biting flies at Deerlodge and in Island Park were terrible! We had full-on headnets and long pants and shirts. Bring lots of repellant!
Once in the canyon they were almost nonexistant.
Saw lots of wildlife (a big bear about 1 mile up Jones Hole on trail to Ely Creek Falls).
Have fun

1 - 8 of 8 Posts