Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm a class IV kayaker/rafter and will be taking a small group of teenage boys to spend a week near Lizard Head Wilderness in mid July. Among other things, we are hoping to find a river we can float, anywhere from I (tubing) to III (ducky/rafting). I realize the Dolores is low, including the west fork, but are there any short stretches that might fit the bill without tearing up my boats too bad?

I'd prefer to stay in that area, but we'll be headed home by way of Pagosa Springs: Are there any other I-III runs you can think of between Cortez and Pagosa that might still be running (San Juan, Animas, etc.)? Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi, The San Miguel would probably be a better option than the Dolores at this time of year. It's running about 350 right now, and if it starts raining it could maintain for a while. The stretch from Specie to Beaver creeks is ok down to about 200cfs (local outfitters run rafts to that level, boney as it is). The short stretch just above the confluence with the Dolores is apparently still ok at pretty low flows. Call Jagged Edge (970 928 9307) in Telluride for more info.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts