Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Slaughterhouse is an awesome run! Add Castle Creek (watch for wood) for some additional excitement. Hit upper fryingpan too!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Directions to Rocky Mountain High Rock

The location where the photo was shot for the John Denver Rocky Mountain High album is along the Rio Granda trail in Aspen Colorado. Here are the directions.

From Aspen go east on Main street to Hwy 82W.
Turn right onto Cemetary Lane. If you get to the round about you have gone too far go all the way around and back towards town.
Cemetary Lane changes to Mc Lain Flat Rd.
Turn left into the parking lot for the Rio Grande trail and Park
There is a porta potty there so if you need to go, go now. there is nothing more on the trail.
Continue on the trail to the right. See how many cairns ( Cairn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) you can find on the trail and dont forget to make your own.
Eventually you will come to a pond on the right hand side of the trail. Go about half the distance of the pond and then turn around and look at the river... You will know the rock when you see it I promise. If you climb down to the river please be very careful as it can be very wet and slippery. Make sure someone stays up on the trail to take your picture.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
omg omg omg, I friggin love Slaugherhouse. The smooth rounded splattilicious boulders! The epic surfiness! The magic tea-cups feel of the eddys! The falls! At medium, go left young man, and boof! Lower water happy landings down the notch to boaters left of Jonny D! Horror stories about being caught behind the curtain if you go too far right and botch the boof.

We better get some snow so I can get my 2012 slaughterfix!

·
Boy Howdy!
1,064 Posts
To get the real John Denver experince down a fifth of whiskey while walking down and back from the falls and hit a tree with a porsche on your way back to your hotel room/ camp site

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Wow, Slaughterhouse looks different from that angle.
Saw it a bunch this past summer. It seemed to stay in the
wonderful range of 1k to 2k for weeks.

Any guesses as to the level in the photo?

·
Registered
10 Posts
To get the real John Denver experince down a fifth of whiskey while walking down and back from the falls and hit a tree with a porsche on your way back to your hotel room/ camp site
"Rocky Mountain High" was the song I played at my first guitar recital. RIP John Boy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone know who shot the cover photo for Rocky Mountain High? I can't find the credit online and my vinyl copy disappeared years ago. Thanks.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm not a big fan either but you have to give the guy credit for
A. Being good at his craft.
B. Being successful at his vocation.
C. Living large (he died flying a small solo aircraft).
None of which are easy.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'm not a big fan either but you have to give the guy credit for
A. Being good at his craft.
B. Being successful at his vocation.
C. Living large (he died flying a small solo aircraft).
None of which are easy.
He had lost his drivers license from to many DUIs. An ultra lite requires no license to fly one. John Denver crashed his ultra lite plane intoxicated! Some roll model. Lucky He didn't kill someone on the ground

·
Registered
1 Posts
John Denver was a licensed pilot flying a home built aircraft not an ultralite. He was flying a long ez which does require a pilot license, Coroner report showed no alcohol or drugs in his system at time of accident. Cause was determined to be a problem with the fuel tank switch placement.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The internet is a funny thing: I never thought I'd be defending John Denver. As I said earlier, I have never been much of a fan, but that doesn't take away the good things he accomplished. So thanks, Countingfish, I appreciate you putting the facts out there, as opposed to others who throw out trash talk just because they don't like someone.

Like all of us, John had good and bad traits. And who hasn't done some dumb crap in their lives? As for his accomplishments, they stand pretty tall, whether you like his music or not. In addition to all his record sales, giant fan base and multiple music awards he co-founded a renowned charity organization. Wish I could lay claim to any of those things.

Trash talking is easy, doing stuff well is hard.

And for the record, I never called him a role model (roll is what you do with a kayak), I just stated that he was good at what he did and "lived large", as in working at enjoying life.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The internet is a funny thing: I never thought I'd be defending John Denver. As I said earlier, I have never been much of a fan, but that doesn't take away the good things he accomplished. So thanks, Countingfish, I appreciate you putting the facts out there, as opposed to others who throw out trash talk just because they don't like someone.

Like all of us, John had good and bad traits. And who hasn't done some dumb crap in their lives? As for his accomplishments, they stand pretty tall, whether you like his music or not. In addition to all his record sales, giant fan base and multiple music awards he co-founded a renowned charity organization. Wish I could lay claim to any of those things.

Trash talking is easy, doing stuff well is hard.

And for the record, I never called him a role model (roll is what you do with a kayak), I just stated that he was good at what he did and "lived large", as in working at enjoying life.
kyle! i love you!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts