Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

A few friends and I will be floating the Service Creek to Clarno section of the John Day next week. This will be really my first time leading a multi day, though I have been on a few trips prior to this. A few questions:

1. We have a permit for four nights, which I realize is a bit much, but we are looking for a leisurely pace. Any suggestions for particular sections or campsites to spend a layover day?

2. We are going to be putting in fairly late on Sunday. Any thoughts on how the camping is in the first five miles or so? I had tried to order the boaters guide to the John Day, which I know has campsites marked, but accidentally ordered the BLM John Day River map which does not mark sites. Hope to get a hold of the Boaters Guide at Service Creek.

3. I have rowed plenty of class 2 and some class 3+, but not much in a fully loaded boat. Any general advice on tricky stretches on this river (I know for you experienced guys it is a cake walk)? I chose this over Clarno to Cottonwood (which I hear is nicer) specifically because I did not want to run Clarno my first time in a loaded boat.

Any other advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Dave

·
Registered
501 Posts
no worries

There are not really any tricky sections on that stretch. I'll look at my floaters guide for early camps. I annotated it on my last trip, though we usually float Clarno to Cottonwood.

The smallmouth fishing should be epic if the water clears a little!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Swiftwater. Thanks for the reply. Definitely will be going after the small mouth bass!

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

1 - 3 of 3 Posts