Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
skyus
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
John Day is supposed to peak at over 10,000 cfs on Sunday, May 8, the day we launch at Clarno. Any idea what Clarno rapid is like at that level? Big, or washed out??? thanks

·
Registered
151 Posts
John Day is supposed to peak at over 10,000 cfs on Sunday, May 8, the day we launch at Clarno. Any idea what Clarno rapid is like at that level? Big, or washed out??? thanks
We rolled through Clarno rapid at about 6k in May 2019. At that level there's not much eddy to catch for a quick look but were going to run and gun anyway. It's a bit juicy and looks big at that level but still pretty straight forward... just push through and square up to the lateral at the bottom. Sorry not apples to apples on flow but that's all I got! My take is that it won't wash out at 10k because of the way it channels but I'd also be curious to hear 10k intel. We put on 5/11

·
Registered
83 Posts
We did it at 7k in 2019. Really washes out IMHO at that level, not sure if it comes back at 10k.

We always stay left either way to stay off the hump.

You can expect to really move at those levels though. We did almost 4 mph at 7k on day one.

Bring lots of cocktails, as camp will come early in the day!

·
skyus
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We did it at 7k in 2019. Really washes out IMHO at that level, not sure if it comes back at 10k.

We always stay left either way to stay off the hump.

You can expect to really move at those levels though. We did almost 4 mph at 7k on day one.

BeerWaggin, any suggestions for an appropriate cocktail for a snowy evening? I am rethinking my gin and tonics, they are more for hot sunny afternoons.... The passes are supposed to get 6-12 inches of snow tonight. I hate shoveling snow out of the raft.

·
Registered
170 Posts
BeerWaggin, any suggestions for an appropriate cocktail for a snowy evening? I am rethinking my gin and tonics, they are more for hot sunny afternoons.... The passes are supposed to get 6-12 inches of snow tonight. I hate shoveling snow out of the raft.
Our go toos:
Chai Tea and Fireball= Chaiballs
Ice 101 Peppermint Schnaps and Hot Cocoa. Gotta be carefull with these since the schnaps is 101 proof.

Have Fun!

·
skyus
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Trip Report
Just back from the John Day. Launched just as the snow stopped, that was the end of the precip for the trip. River level was just under 10,000 cfs at the launch and went down every day. That is actually a nice level. Clarno is really the only rapid on this run, and it was straight forward. We didn't scout, ran it right of center. left would have been more exciting, with more of a hole. Further right would have worked as well. Just big waves, did't get any water in the boat (13' raft). About 100 or so yards downstream of the main lateral wave we hit a single wave all by its self that doused us. Only 2 groups out of the 5 reservations launched that day, us and Ouzel. All and all a very nice level. Very canoable except for Clarno nad maybe Basalt. Saw 2 canoes at the takeout.

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
Thanks for posting the report
Went the same time last year and had snow at the end of the trip...maybe kept folks from launching, but no shows are disappointing since other groups
could have snagged a permit
We ran Clarno during flood stage many years ago and could only run left of center and it WAS exciting with a huge hole
Sounds like a good time

Reactions: svskyus
1 - 13 of 13 Posts