Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like the new 2015 Fun series, but don't have the cash for a new one, so I thought I would ask some of you fine gentlemen what would be very similar that could be picked up on the cheap.

I am 6'2" and my weight is about 190 currently, (I bounce around between 185-195lbs typically). So perhaps the 4Fun would be better? If so, what other like-boats would fit the bill here?

Also, I currently own the following boats if anyone would be interested in a partial trade:

2013 LL Remix 69
2013 WS Diesel 80
2013 Dagger Axiom 8.5
...and an older Dagger GTX (I forget the year).

·
Abron Cabron
611 Posts
I really like the look of the 2015 (redesigned) 4fun. I had a 2009 4fun that was a really great boat for my purposes, and It sounds like the new ones are more like that gen of boats, (2010-2014 funs werent that great....) so if its a new one you're after i'd make sure you get a current one.
CKS in Buena Vista, and 4 corners in Durango both have beginning and end of summer (like in may and august) demo sell-off and boat swap sales.
thats what i would do.... take all your old boats you dont want, get whatever store credit you can off sale or trade-in and turn that into your new setup, with a much smaller cash investment. I do this every other year or so at CKS.... its only 4.5 hrs for my to the local store... def longer for you, but you get to paddle the Ark or anything else around. its a really cool thing they are doing there for us dirtbags, and it sure helps the economy to have Paddlefest and all the summertime visitors.
so there you go. there is hope.
and yes, definitely not smaller then a 4fun size wise.
Cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took a 4Fun on the San Juan at high water and hated it. Steer clear.
What didn't you like about it, and what year was it?

I really like the look of the 2015 (redesigned) 4fun. I had a 2009 4fun that was a really great boat for my purposes, and It sounds like the new ones are more like that gen of boats, (2010-2014 funs werent that great....) so if its a new one you're after i'd make sure you get a current one.
CKS in Buena Vista, and 4 corners in Durango both have beginning and end of summer (like in may and august) demo sell-off and boat swap sales.
thats what i would do.... take all your old boats you dont want, get whatever store credit you can off sale or trade-in and turn that into your new setup, with a much smaller cash investment. I do this every other year or so at CKS.... its only 4.5 hrs for my to the local store... def longer for you, but you get to paddle the Ark or anything else around. its a really cool thing they are doing there for us dirtbags, and it sure helps the economy to have Paddlefest and all the summertime visitors.
so there you go. there is hope.
and yes, definitely not smaller then a 4fun size wise.
Cheers
Thanks for that! What other boats would compare with the 2009 & 2015 4Fun?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2015 and I didn't like the seat and the silly Happy Feet bag. It played fine and was fun on sand waves :D Just not comfortable for a 6-day trip.
Ah, I see. That being the case, I am looking for a good 'river play' boat, not necessarily a multi-day trip boat.

Also, another boat that I have my eye on is the WaveSport Fuse 56. That should compare pretty close to the 4Fun, yeah?

·
Abron Cabron
611 Posts
Fuse is comparable, I dont like WS (6years with an EZG i can never have back....)
Pyrhana varun,
Liquid logic Freeride (that would be my second choice, probably, behind 4fun.)
https://www.liquidlogickayaks.com/product/LRFR5715.html
Fluid dope
dagger (???)
Imo JK has playboats dialed. the shape, dryness, and comfort are unmatched (for me)
usually the outfitting is the make it or break it factor.
Pyrhana Jedi looks like a badass boat, but that is their full on playboat.
(JK superstar 2012 is my playboat .....also a really good down river playboat, but more aggressive.... )

they also have foam blocks to eliminate the happy feet, and i think thats what comes with new boats now (happy feet are a separate purchase)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fuse is comparable, I dont like WS (6years with an EZG i can never have back....)
Pyrhana varun,
Liquid logic Freeride (that would be my second choice, probably, behind 4fun.)
https://www.liquidlogickayaks.com/product/LRFR5715.html
Fluid dope
dagger (???)
Imo JK has playboats dialed. the shape, dryness, and comfort are unmatched (for me)
usually the outfitting is the make it or break it factor.
Pyrhana Jedi looks like a badass boat, but that is their full on playboat.
(JK superstar 2012 is my playboat .....also a really good down river playboat, but more aggressive.... )

they also have foam blocks to eliminate the happy feet, and i think thats what comes with new boats now (happy feet are a separate purchase)
What did you dislike about the EZG?

·
Registered
312 Posts
I didn't like the happy feet at first, then I watched a video on how to use it, and now I find it pretty great. From what the Jackson website said, last I checked, the bulkhead and happy feet are optional. You have your choice of either.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The fun comes with both happy feet and foam foot rest, the happy feet was funny at first bit after watching video is much better.

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
JK 4Fun (& similar)

In the new Fun series, the 4 fun is the largest, whereas in years pat there had always been a super fun as the big one. Due to this, the four is bigger than previous versions. For me at 6-1 190, it is difficult to squirt, and since that is about my only play boat move I found it frustrating. It didn't even occur to me before purchasing, but I actually fit in the 2015 version of the Fun.

It is a great and comfortable river runner for me, and while it spins and surfs great, I need a smaller play boat.

2016 Rockstar acquired. Problem solved.

Low mileage red 4 Fun for sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Abron Cabron
611 Posts
thats good beta Dave. That is good to know about the 2015. i wanted a more aggressive playboat too, thus the superstar. I weigh more like 240, so i am still in the 4fun only category. how much for yours?

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
Listed it today for $900.

It's pretty mint.

Will consider offers, but new ones are 1200 plus tax.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
5 Posts
BruiseLee,

I have an older 4Fun, 2010 or so in good shape, that I would be willing to trade for your 69 Remix along with cash, assuming the Remix is in good shape. Like the 4Fun a lot as a river play boat, but need a larger river runner for my daughter more. If interested, let me know and I send you a number or e-mail. Live in Eagle, CO so would need to figure out transportation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BruiseLee,

I have an older 4Fun, 2010 or so in good shape, that I would be willing to trade for your 69 Remix along with cash, assuming the Remix is in good shape. Like the 4Fun a lot as a river play boat, but need a larger river runner for my daughter more. If interested, let me know and I send you a number or e-mail. Live in Eagle, CO so would need to figure out transportation.
I may be going out to CO before the month is up, so that shouldn't be a problem...that being said, I have a buddy who is also interested in the Remix, so I will give him first chance.

Do you have any pics of your 2010 Fun you could share? (Some showing the hull & outfitting especially would be great!)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts