Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been paddling a liquid logic jefe grande for a few years. I'm looking at a pyranha burn for something that carves a but better and is more of a river runner. Anyone else made that switch or recommend another boat?

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
I switched from a Jefe to a Pyranha a few seasons back, but I'm not very big (5'6 - 140) and this was before LL made the Grande and the Chico. My Jefe was too big for me and I had a hard time rolling it and maneuvering it quickly. The planning hull design on the Burn I found to be much more responsive, but yet subtle enough for running manky creeks. Plus, since it was sized correctly for me it was much easier to roll.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Stomper 90- perfect combination of chamfered edge and semi-planing hull. Cockpit has been moved forward slightly from the Jefe, makes driving this boat so much easier with plenty of volume directly behind the cockpit for extra stability

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Stomper 90- perfect combination of chamfered edge and semi-planing hull. Cockpit has been moved forward slightly from the Jefe, makes driving this boat so much easier with plenty of volume directly behind the cockpit for extra stability
and its fast!

·
Cpt. No Scout
517 Posts
Anyboat is slow compared to a remix, but if your talking normal creekboats than the stomper is quick!
I felt that the nomad and villain were both faster than the stomper. Now don't get me wrong, the stomper is a fine boat. I just wouldn't call it fast unless you were comparing it to something like a freeride.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
OP, don't listen to all of these LL paddlers scream Stomper non-sense... listen to the Pyranha paddlers scream Shiva instead!

In seriousness, if you are looking for something that carves better than a Jefe, a Burn is a good choice, but it's on the opposite end of the spectrum of most performance features. Decide exactly what you are looking for that your Jefe doesn't have first. Lacking speed? Go with the Shiva, Remix, or Zen. Lacking carving? A Burn is a damn fine choice if you want to carve. Lacking tracking? Shiva or Remix again. If you love LL boats (weird), and just want a new boat that's similar to a Jefe? Sure, Stomper. Or upgrade to a Shiva.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Jefe to a Burn is going to be a big difference. Just remember that it performs well in response to being aggressive, and that it doesn't exactly help you out when you aren't paying attention.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the comments. I'm looking for something NOT like the jefe. I want to make class IV fun, eddie hop, and something for big volume rivers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi

Have you thought of the new Dagger Mamba? I've just switched from a Villain, which I just did not care for (sorry!) and it's doing all of the above for me.

I so nearly got the burn, but hull just felt too playful to me (felt like it'd get me into trouble and say 'well you got us here') whereas the Manba felt like it'd stick with me.

I also had problems with the lack of centre pillar in the burn - just felt wrong to me.

Pete

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Yeah what you are looking for explains the stomper. I don't feel like its anything like a jefe. One of the reasons I still own a jefe. Regardless of who makes it the stomper is a slayer kayak. Carves down the river like a snowboard but still soft enough chin you won't be kissing the bottom of te river like the burn. Try one you will be surprised. I have buddies that have used them on big timber to the north fork payette as well as full loaded in the box! They are incredible kayaks....two words. Demo one

Jefe is displacement
Stomper is semi planning hull completely different kayaks

Also if the stomper is slow how come Adrienne whooped all you Colorado paddlers in one and cleaned up the race scene last summer. Beat all the boys doing it,, stompers are quick kayaks

Another good thing about the stomper is that it can be a one quiver boat.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Mike is correct that the Stomper paddles completely differently from the Jefe. It is faster, holds a line better, carves better and catches eddies better. I love mine and you would probably like it better than the Jefe, which is a slug. Still, the Stomper is a creek boat. It has a soft edge and is not as fast as some boats.

For class IV, especially bigger volume IV, where you don't need a pure creek boat, the burn is probably a better choice.

Or you can take the advice of the folks recommending boats that are not even on the market yet.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts