Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am told that there is a big gathering at Shoshone on Jan 1st. Is this true? If so, whos going and what time does everyone plan on going? Thanks.
matt

·
Registered
703 Posts
new years day--shoshone

Yep, there will be a group there. I know that ill be there sometime that morning depending on my hangover. A while back i was told that the weekend before new years is when ppl will start determing the time. SO just keep checking back, and we'll figure something out.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Noon is the usual time. Some folks put on earlier but high noon seems the best bet to meet the most paddlers. It is a great time and the post paddle champaign gets the buzz rippin' again!!

hobie

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ice null?

Sorry for the naïveté, but what does "Ice null" mean (under the phlows)? I am assuming that it means the passageway is blocked by ice damns somewhere along the run? Thinking of heading there for the 1st, but don't feel like portaging too many ice damns. Thanks for the Beta.

Perry

·
Super Moderator
2,841 Posts
ice null refers to the gauge's nonresponsive state. I doubt there will be ice portages, but maybe a local can confirm. you would almost certainly be the only one bringing a raft, not that that ever slowed you down before.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hey, when you work in the middle of the Bering Sea of Alaska, you've gotta take every oportunity to get out there on some icey waves :shock: ! We may do Ruby HT afterwards and do some goose hunting if it's allowed. Anyone know? I just got back from Thailand and did a whitewater rafting trip there that was pretty cool. Interesting experiance rafting in the jungle with waterbuffaloes next to you in the river and monkeys in the trees. Not like CO winter boatin'

·
Super Moderator
4,033 Posts
Hey Folks,

The info on the USGS website for "recent daily" data for Dotsero indicate that Shoshone's up to 1,260, or so. Anyone know if this is accurate considering that the station's supposed to be iced up?

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/co/nwis/dv/?site_no=09070500&agency_cd=USGS

So Perry, are you in town these days? Did you see the Jester on the cover of last year's DRE catalog? I 'm not sure if he knows what Ice Null means but I bet he's got the Beta on Shoshone in chilly weather...

Speaking of which, right now the forecast is for a chance for flurries with high 37° F / Low 22° F. If Sho Sho's going to be cranking 1200+/- I may be interested in coming along with y'all. I can't believe I'm thinking it but I'm sure its a sure-fire way to clear out a hangover.

--Andy

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey boyz,

I go to college in Durango but am in G-wood for winter break and did Shoshone last Wenesday with my Dad. My guess is it was at 800 give or take. The weather was great and the water wasn't that cold. Played a little and rolled with no ice-cream headache. There is practically no ice compared to previous years. It has snowed a lot since last week so It could have rasied some since then. Well, hope ta see you all out there.
JK

·
Registered
4 Posts
should be nice and warm, or at least above freezing. Will be there for the fun. Hobie-got a topper for christmas, interested in building me a rack to fit on my truck over it????????? Let me know, hopefully hook up tomorrow. :oops:

·
Registered
851 Posts
Biller,
Sorry I did not see you yesterday. E-mail me and I can get the measurements. I can build you up something sick-o next week. Just let me know the dimensions and what you would like to haul.

hobie
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
GREAT TIME

Just wanted to say to everyone Happy New Year. I had a great time boating with all you on the 1st. I had a ton of fun drinking, eating Brat and talking kayaking with some new and old friends. That one roll gave me quite the hangover eraser, but was worth it. The kayak season has officially begun.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts