Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am just starting to get into freestyle
kayaking and am wondering which of the Jackson Star
series is best for a beginner to learn flatwater cartwheels etc.

Thanks Sam

·
Registered
269 Posts
The 2013 star is better for cartwheeling. The volume is more evenly distributed through out the boat so you don't have to push as much volume in the knees down when initiating.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The newer boats don't have the flaws the the older boats have. If you can afford the newer boat I would go for it.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I think I read the newer ones have quite a bit more volume. Does it change the appropriate weight ranges? I have 2010 version and kind of preferred the pre-2010 version. The 2010 will definitely feel more unbalanced end to end doing cartwheels - I think it is more optimized for aerial tricks.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I think I read the newer ones have quite a bit more volume. Does it change the appropriate weight ranges? I have 2010 version and kind of preferred the pre-2010 version. The 2010 will definitely feel more unbalanced end to end doing cartwheels - I think it is more optimized for aerial tricks.
Agreed. I have a 2009 and prefer the more slicey ends. The newer versions have the bubble effect designed for more pop and aerial moves. Think of the best boats for cartwheels and we all think of the old style boats. EZG anyone?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi everyone, I am just starting to get into freestyle
kayaking and am wondering which of the Jackson Star
series is best for a beginner to learn flatwater cartwheels etc.

Thanks Sam
I own both the 2010 allstar elite and the 2013 allstar go pro Jackson boat. I would say that WITH OUT A DOUBT - ITS EASIER TO CARTWHEEL the 2010 IN FLAT WATER . the 2010 is 55 gallons and the 2013 is 59 gallons , that might not mean alot to some folks but....the 4 or so gallon difference and slimmer rear end in the 2010 makes slicing ability a huge difference. As a squirt boater I dont think the two measure up to evenly. I love both boats but by far the 2010 cartwheels better.( Ill add in flat water or in a hole, the higher volume 2013 is way better for aerial. it has a higher volume rear end. again I love them both!

Old school
Kendo

·
Registered
158 Posts
oh damn, I just realized my bad, I mentioned allstar and not the star .... sorry bout that...forgiveness please

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok thanks for all the advice, I think I'm going to
my hands on a 2010 star as I want to learn to cartwheel
In the flat water :)

Thanks Sam

·
Registered
325 Posts
I also own the 2010 Star and demo'd the 2013. Hands down I liked the 2010 better. The 2013 is wider, bigger and harder to throw around - and harder to roll. Hubby also has the 2010 All Star and thinks they aced it on that series. Didn't like the 2013 either.

·
Registered
461 Posts
When comparing 2010 to 2013 Star series boats most people will go down a size. The volume did get increased between the two models.

I loved the 2010 Super Star and now equally love the 2013 All Star. I know quite a few people that went from old All Stars to new Stars.

I think if you are in the correct size for your weight the 2013 will be better for flat water play and on waves and holes. I feel It is also faster and river runs better IMO. I love my 2013 All Star.

I just got my 2014 Rock Star and haven't paddled it yet. I have big plans for that boat....

·
Registered
461 Posts
I also own the 2010 Star and demo'd the 2013. Hands down I liked the 2010 better. The 2013 is wider, bigger and harder to throw around - and harder to roll. Hubby also has the 2010 All Star and thinks they aced it on that series. Didn't like the 2013 either.
Yep, some of the smaller women and kids prefer the 2010 Stars because they are smaller than the 2013.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts