Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how drastically the Jackson Fun changed with its' redesign? How do the older ones differ as far as volume, speed etc.? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Woody...

I work for Jackson and can share some detail with you. The new fun line is still built to be strong in the river runner catagory, still rolls better than any boat around, but has a stronger emphasis on playboating than it was in our last design. They are also even more comfy (believe it or not) and have a room for even larger feet for each size.

It's a perfect evolution for those that started out with the first funs and are looking for a bit more flatwater capability.

As you probably know, we use cross link for all of our current model boats, and for the first time we are going to start making our previous or "Classic" models (last mold of the Star and Fun series) in linear plastic and cutting the price down to 799! Linear is much cheaper and we decided that since our third and last year for the previous mold was our best selling year for them, that we would continue to offer them to the public and also allow to cut the price back.

All current JK products will still be Crosslink, but we wanted to offer a cheaper alterantive for those trying to get into the sport, but are looking for new as opposed to used gear.

Check out www.jacksonkayak.com for anymore detail, but the new Funs should all be shipping by the end of December and then the new Stars by mid Feb.

Craw

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks a bunch for the help. One more question, are there any 2007 Funs in cicrulation then? I've paddled one that a local paddling club ordered direct from Jackson about a month ago, is it likely that this was a new one or an old one?

·
Registered
911 Posts
It's possible that you paddled a new "Fun" as they have been out for about a month and a half, but the only way to know is what the decal looked like. If it was just the "Funguy" on the back, that was the old one. If it was a huge "FUN" (7x7inches) on the back then you got into one of the new ones.

I will be demo'ing the new boats in Laramie on March 4th in conjunction with our shop up there, so if you can wait till then you can try all sizes.

Livingston:

They are all going to fit a bit a a bigger person than the last mold, but not a ton bigger. It really has more todo with the knee and foot room than the whole boat. Put it this way, I actually fit in a fun now, but it's still not enough volume, so I will still stick with the 4fun.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Craw - So the linear plastic thing is only for the old line of funs? This isn't one of those things where you introduce it into the market and slowly slip it in under the radar on all models?? I think you saw my boat, it took a huge forklift ding in shipping and the only reason I kept the boat was the fact that it was cross-link. I can understand the cheaper line for entry level, though.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Tim, Not EVEN.

It is a huge part of our philosophy to stick with only the most superior of materials. So absolutely NOT... Our current lines are our bread and butter and won't be made with anything less than the best. Today that is Crosslink, tomorrow maybe something else pops up, but you can bet if JK is using it, it's the bomb.

The real driver behind using linear is that the previous models (now called Classics) sold more units in their last year and that same mold was three years old! So, now by going with Linear on the Classics, dropping the price to 799, and then coming out with our New 07 (crosslink) lineup at regular retail of 995, offers a wide array of options for the public.

Good question though...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hey Craw,

I put the 4th on my calendar. The guys at Big Hoss said you were coming, but didn't know when, last I talked to them, so cool to read this post.

I've been in an EZG 42 the last 2 years and love it. However, I'm on my 2nd warranty and am considering other boats. I've kinda honed in on the Fun. I've heard from others that I may have a harder time throwing down the bow. Could you speak to this, and how it would compare with my EZG in other ways? Also, could you please bring one my size? (5'5" 130)

Thanks,

Deb

·
Registered
911 Posts
Deb,

First off... you sound like a 2fun size and yes I wil have one there for sure.

With what is now called the Classic Fun (previous fun mold), you are absolutely correct. Not sure if the right word is "lacking", but that design was missing a more playful component. Bottom line though, it really is meant as a playful river runner first and I think we did very well with attaining that perspective.

With the new Fun series, we kicked the play element up a notch, while still maintaining a very stable, fairly quick, and easy to roll feature set. The result is truly awesome and your valid concern about flatwater tossing is now a thing of the past.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Craw, do you think that the folks at the Jackson factory would set up a boat as a C-1 at the factory? Like maybe just a saddle instead of a seat so that lazy outfitting guys like me would not have to do the hard part?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Have yet to come across that question... but I don't see why we can't help work out a good solution.

Mike pm me your email and I will get an answer directly to you.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Thanks Craw! I couldn't imagine EJ selling out...but after the many mergers and stuff with other manufacturers, just wanted to be sure there wasn't anything to read between the lines. 8)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Thanks Craw, I appreciate the info. I wasn't sure if the throw-down issue was a personal issue, or a boat issue, so the acknowledgement and subsequent changes, gives me a good feeling. I really look forward to checking it out. See you on the 4th.

Deb

·
Registered
88 Posts
2007 Jackson Fun

I've had the chance to paddle the 2007 fun at the local pool sessions the last few weekends. When I first paddled it I thought that the stern really went under way too easy (slicy?) The next time that I tried it I realized that it was actually just a really fun boat to paddle. Stern squirts and back deck rolls were both super easy. It was also the most comfortable boat that I had ever been in (besides the super rocker, but that shouldn't count.)

So now to my question... I think that I might really like the boat, but it seems a bit too low in volume. I weight somewhere in the range of 200 lbs depending on my paddling to work ratio. The boat is really fun in the pool, but I'm a bit concerned that I'll sit too low in the river. I'm really looking for a pure playboat since my EZG 60 is great for running rivers, but a little tricky for me to throw around. Any input? Am I too big? What about the AllStar? SuperStar? 4Fun?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Yo B,

Not too many are going to be able to chime in on this one, so I will for now, but in the coming month or so, there will be much more unbiased opinions.

SO, I am 6 foot and bit, weigh about 200, 190 when in paddling shape come April. And I paddle the 4Fun almost exclusively for rivers (creeking is really my thing and the new Rocker is sick). But I am also a crappy ass playboater. I hit a playpark on a rare occaision and since I have 1 of every boat, I will use the Super Star on those occasions.

Here is my lowdown.

Depending on how tall you are, the Allstar/Superstar is probably a better choice considering your EZG. As you noticed, (and also by design) the Fun series is for river/play. More river in our 1st design, and more play on this second design, but still not as freestyle as our Star series. They are full on big play toys and this year might look a bit similar to last years, but it's way different on the hull and knee area. On big waves the previous was noticably slower than others, but ours was better in holes. Now we have balanced that out and the hull speed is substantially much better and the each size a tad bit bigger than previously.

Craw

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hey Marty!
So I talked Josh into getting some creek boats for the club, we were totally going to buy some this year and now Britt and I are totally sold on the Jacksons.
We are thinking a Punk Rocker and a Rocker, do you think those two would be the best ones for the club?

·
Registered
911 Posts
I would say so... Unless you have some big folks in the club +210 lbs and over 6 feet that would use the Mega, the Rocker and Punk should be great.

I am not sure how accurate the club/school pricing was that I told you the other day, could be a bit more... so be sure to call Confluence and he will work that out with Carman (our Cust Svc Mgr).

I am stoked for you though. This should be a great spring with all this snow and at least for all those girls that were at the pool session... that Punk is perfect to learn to creek in.

·
Registered
23 Posts
07 fun beta

Marty's got good stuff above, but I got to paddle it all Fall - so here goes:

A. No one believes it when you say 'it does everything better' - so

Things I like less about the 07 FUN.
1. The size of the logo
2. The cockpit is bigger and higher
3. The seat is a bit wider because of #2, so I need thicker hip pads.
4. It's still not as slicey as an All-star.

Things I like BETTER about the 07 Fun
1. much faster on waves
2. much looser on waves
3. Bigger loops in holes, and easier to stay vert while plunging
4. Slicier in holes
5. Less trippy on the stern edges, more volume back there for stability
6. More forgiving downriver since edges higher and less sharp
7. Faster in flats and in chop
8. I was 'in between' Fun and 4-Fun and now I'm full Fun-guy! (168lbs)

·
Registered
23 Posts
As for sizing / boat choice

OK -

07 Fun IS a bigger boat. About the same to flatwater but bow-stalls higher so I know it's bigger. Also stern-stall is now a challenge (last years was easy) This at my 168 wieght.

I like it better overall, better for play, and better for downriver paddling.

I believe the 07 4-Fun is bigger than the last too, but it should play right on par with the old - since the volume is offset by the slicier shape.

You may want to raise your seat in these 07 boats - the paddle a bit more stable and more forgiving so there's no drawback. I feel that I sit LOWER in the 07 boats - that he cockpit rim is higher - so I added 1'' of foam under my Happy Seat and now I'm set.

Hope this helps -
Clay / Team JK

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hey clay,
what kind of foam did you put under the happy seat. I just got the new 2fun and have not started outfitting it yet.
So by adding the foam it raises your CG, which makes it easier to throw around, right?
If i added the foam would it make it less stable as a river runner?
thanks,
Christine

1 - 20 of 24 Posts