Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the kayaking scene and am looking at boats. I can paddle class 4 but dont yet own a kayak yet would this be a good option?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
the fun series from Jackson are great choices for river play. I paddle a super fun on class 3-4 rivers and big water. They are fun to surf, spin and cart wheel. They squirt and stall, pirouette and all.

It is a great boat, it will depend on how well you fit and your thoughts after you've paddled one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I borrow a kayak from my buddies on long trips or demo a kayak for day runs

·
Registered
708 Posts
Yes on the Fun

The Fun series is a great all around kayak. I'd suggest you pick up 2nd generation (2007) or newer. I use a SuperFun for 98% of the kayaking I do, class II-IV.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yay, great boat.. Perhaps the single best boat you can buy for the type of paddling you want to do.

But for more challenging class IV rapids, many people might prefer a bigger boat (creekboat.)

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Great down river boat.
I just bought one myself
Outfitting fits like a slipper and performs like a running shoe

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is it true that as I grow in my skill, I will rather have a creekboat and a playboat?

·
Registered
312 Posts
I just get the feeling that he has over estimated his skill level. He's only demoed and borrowed kayaks in the past, but seems to be ready for Class 5? I'm not sure what to think.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Fun Series

Certainly if you are looking to step up to more class 5 you will need a bigger volume boat than the fun series. That being said I have run my Superfun down Gore but did kinda feel like I was getting my butt kicked & only did it once :)

I do recommend the fun series for anyone regardless of their Actual ability. They are a great well rounded boat & do everything you want (other than creeking) in a single boat at a adequate performance level. They also have a great manufacturer backing it up.

Careful about biting off too much too soon. We are all better boaters in our own mind :)

·
Registered
302 Posts
I've paddled primarily a fun for the last seven or so years. Just like other posters have said, it's a great boat that performs pretty well at river running and basic playboating. I'm very comfortable in class IV in it. As a first and primary boat it's a good one. If you find yourself drawn to harder and steeper water you'll probably want to get a creekboat too.
Everyone starts in a single boat. If kayaking takes over your life like it has nearly everyone here, you'll end up with another, and another, and another. Have fun!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey boaters,
This goes along with getting the boat. You dont want to be up a creek without a paddle and the paddles come in differnt lengths and styles. I dont know what the length of the paddle matters. Is it easyier to paddle/roll with a shorter/longer paddle. Please fill me in.
Thanks, Owen
Ps. My armspan is about 5'10"

·
Registered
127 Posts
Paddles are a personal preference from what I have found. I like a longer paddle (198) but my bud who has the same height/reach prefers a 192/194. It will come down to paddling style and boat width/deck height ...start with a 194. Pretty universal size.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't know a single class V boater that doesn't own at least 2 boats. Fun is a great stable platform. Learn what you're doing, and then step up, with the right equipment (a creek boat). In spite of the mentality of a 16 year old boy, you are not invincible, you can die. Be careful and don't overestimate your abilities.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts