Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive had about every style boat out there and ive been checking this boat out I have a 8 year old a 11 year old and a 4 year old boy would this be a good boat to teach these kids and my friends i have lots of friends that are newbies and much smaller then me im about 220 6 foot with a solid roll will i be able to roll my friends up right about 160-180 range thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
356 Posts
No opinion of ease of use, but I do know that Landis over at Prijon/Wildwasser in Boulder has a bunch of Topoduoes. I would have to imagine they are for sale.
The original Jackson Creekboat designs seemed to have taken a lot from the Topo, safe to assume the same is to be said about the Topo Duo and the Dynamic Duo.

·
Super Moderator
2,854 Posts
If you have solid roll, you can roll your partner if they can truly stay neutral or better yet help brace. Its all about basic team work. I've seen a pair of class V boaters swim in an Eddy just trying to figure it out.

I had a non boater in the front on upper Mish. I couldn't believe how hard it was to keep the thing upright; I was literally bracing up to my elbows when I noticed his knees sticking up in the skirt! Once he connected with the thigh hooks it got much easier.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Duo info

I demoed a Dynamic Duo last summer and took each of my kids (ages 4-11) down a short class II/III run one at a time. I absolutely fell in love with the boat and the idea that I could take my kids down harder (more fun) runs than they'd be able to handle in their own kayaks. I also liked the idea of helping them learn various techniques, possibly more quickly than they would in their own kayaks.

I picked up a used Duo this spring and have spent more time in it than I have in my own kayak. It's been one of the best kayak related investments I've made.

Rolling with another adult who doesn't know how to roll can be tough. Rollins with my kids has worked out well - my oldest boy can help roll, my youngest boy just tucks and lets me roll.

I've only paddled it with kids on the rivers. The smaller the kids are the easier it is to paddle - they tend to be and stay more centered. The older/bigger they are the more their actions will affect you. In one rapid we caught a big cross current - I thought I had braced out of it - only to flip immediately after I finished the brace and relaxed. A friend who saw it all go down said that even though I braced, my oldest boy had his body/head out over the water and that took us over.

It's a long boat and has great speed but it can also feel like a tank to turn it. I've run Upper Mish down on the Poudre as low as 1 foot and it takes a ton of work to navigate the low rocky run. It's almost like rafting - if you can't go around it, go over or through it. I often have to tell my kids to stop paddling so I have time to make the move without blowing by it. (note - I'm used to uber slow river play kayaks). An upside to the long boat is you can more easily punch holes that might otherwise trip you up in a short boat.

My brother has an old TopoDuo and has paddled my Duo. His feedback is the Dynamic Duo is more ergonomically comfortable than the old Topo and overall easier to paddle, more forgiving, etc. I'm 6'3" 250+ and I can fit in the front and back cockpits. The back cockpit is huge and has tons of room. Some of the Duos have the Jackson bulkhead front and back (super easy adjustment, esp with kids). Others have footpegs front and back and sell (or sold) for up to a couple hundred less at retail price.

The boat is huge (140+ gallons) and heavy. JK lists it as 80lbs dry. It's possible for one person to heft it to the put in, throw it up on a car/SUV rack and take it off but it's quite the feat.

All in all I couldn't be happier with the boat. I've taken each of my boys out multiple times in it this year, as well as several of their cousins. Kudos to JK for re-inventing the Duo.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ive got a used orange Dynamic Duo for sale. Its at the Alpine Quest Sports here in Edwards. Im not sure on price, I think right around $800?
970-926-3867

·
Registered
461 Posts
We too have made the leap into the Dynamic Duo. My (8 year old) daughter has paddled quite a bit in her Fun1 and Side Kick. But the Duo allows us to do runs that might be too much for her alone. It has really helped her boat control. Her peel outs have gotten much better as a result of feeling how we do them together in the Duo. We did some big water class III in Oregon this summer and one wave was over her head and about sent her into my lap. She now lets the big waves hit her on the helmet top as she leans into them. We can even surf the duo and that has boosted her comfort surfing her own boat. It all translates and makes the learning curve less steep.

It is a really fun way paddle with kids. Way more fun than I thought it would be.

Now we will see what it is like with the mother in law next month. Can you say rock splat.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello
I have had a dynamic duo for 3 years now, this is a drema boat, we use it for commercial trips down a high volume class III IV river here in Southern Chile.
It is perfect to paddle down somebody light130-160 for me and I am light (around 160) but I even managed to paddle safely a tall friend that was approx 1m90 and almost 200 lbs, he was able to get in the kayak in the front (no shoes) and it was hard work for me but we made it.
For kids it is just perfect.
With 2 experienced paddlers you can paddle easily big rapids.
Really good boat

·
Registered
490 Posts
Duo's are awesome. Here's my experience:

I have run a tight creek with another experienced paddler and we aced it. Teamwork is everything. Comparable paddling style was also beneficial.

I have taken beginners out on solid class three and depending on their preferences for excitement, they've almost all loved it. Those who were less "excitement-oriented" said they still liked it, but they said they'd have preferred more scenery and less excitement.

The weight of the beginner up front is critical. If the person up front out weighs you and doesn't do things right, you might end up swimming. I've only swam once with a lighter weight paddler up front, but I've never felt sketchier than when the guy up front outweighed me, wouldn't take my instructions, and let go of his paddle everytime we leaned into something....so maybe don't take your old man out in it :grin:. Moms, girlfriends, and skinny male friends are great passengers. If you've got 40 lbs on someone, they can lean anyway they want and you're probably going to compensate just fine.

I've taken my duo on some self-support overnighters with non-boaters and they were PSYCHED. I could also see using it solo with a hatch cover if you needed to haul a lot of gear or something. Say like you wanted to do a climb across a river. You could ferry your partner, then go back and ferry the gear, too. Say you wanted to bring your chainsaw, whatever, you could do it fine in the duo, but you'd have to paddle Grumman canoe-style since you're not centered. Probably wouldn't want to run something too squeezy like that unless you're a Grumman OG.

Lastly, the things front surf like beasts. Find a fast green wave and get on it. All you do is rudder. If it's steeper you can perle the shit out of the bow and dunk your front passenger, too.

Anyhow, get one. They're fun and you'll love it. You kids will love it. Your friends will love it. Your wife/girlfriend will love it. Just do it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok so i took the leap and bought a demoed duo from Alpine Quest thanks Chris took my older brother down the colorado in grand junction mostly calm flat water just to test it and a couple surf holes hes about 5.8 170lbs size 11 shoes and im 220 6 foot size 12 feet. i was able to put him in side surf front surf and able to roll with him very well. he is alright at rolling as long as i felt him kick in we came up fine i also tried it with him leaning forward rolled him twice without his help had a swim 1 time id have to say this boat is alot of fun i learned tandem doin inflatables but this is a different story love the investment im happy with my purchase also i come from the wavesport line and i have to say jackson outfitting isnt half bad cant wait to take my kids out on the next run!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any of you Dynamic duo owners ready to sell? Most of this thread is ten years old so surely your kids are in there own boats now. I've got a 6 and 4 yo. So feel free to respond anytime in the next few years. [email protected]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts