Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
fat guy in a little boat
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm thinking about finally getting a good sleeping pad for an upcoming Grand Canyon trip and I want to get some opinions on which one to get.
Obviously Jacks makes the best pads available. But they're kinda pricey, especially considering I think I want a 4".
Maravia makes a similar looking pad that actually has leafield valves on it. It is like $100 cheaper than a Jacks, but is it as bomber as their boats?? Anyone ever have any bad experiences with one?? Weight and rolled up size will probably be more than a Jacks, but that's not too big an issue for me. Durability vs. a Jacks pad is my biggest concern.
In looking around the interwebs I also found a pad from Aire called the landing pad. It looks ok and is cheaper than the other 2, but I've never even heard of one before. Once again, does anyone know if it's as bomber as their boats??
OK, buzzards, I need some advise, so lets hear what ya got to say!! Any and all opinions greatly appreciated!!
Thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have had the jacks pads and the maravia silverback. Never had any dealings with the aire landing pad, I believe it is a pad they import.

The jacks were never comfy enough for me or the wife or my friends and the valve is completely irritating!! It takes forever to deflate so I got a silverback and it was a huge difference. My friends all bought sleep pads from Canyon, They are around 150.00 for a 4" thick pad I think and have a C7 leafield valve like the silverback which is great to inflate and deflate.

I just sold my paco and still have a maravia silverback up for sale on this site. I will buy the Canyon pad after my silverback sells just because they made my boat and it matches my colors :cool:, other than that everybody in my camp prefers the silverback or Canyon 4" pad.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I am curious if anyone with a Jack's Paco has ever put a leafield valve on it. That should solve the small valve issue with deflation.

Any one done this mod?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I don't know if a C7 will fit on the side of the jacks pad, the valve just fits on a 4" thick pad. The 4" pads roll up almost as small as the 3" thick pads but that extra thickness sure makes a difference sleeping :Dzzzzzz.
canyonpad.jpg

·
Registered
798 Posts
I’ve owned the Aire Landing Pad and Paco Silverback (make sure you know who’s referring to what since the Maravia is also the Silverback, both are 4”)

The Landing Pad for the price is a heavy duty pad but I got about 5 years of use on mine. The corners where the fabric folds started to the wear through (no big deal to pinhole patch with some UV repair) and I started feeling it on the hips so the foam was probably breaking down. For the price if you don’t mind replacing every several years it’s a good, albeit heavy and wide, pad.

The Paco Silverback I’ve only had for a year and it has been excellent. I sleep great on this thing….Ledges camp on the Grand and couldn’t feel the rock, it’s a great pad that according to everyone’s accounts lasts forever. I slept great on my two weeks down there on it and a few trips after.

I don’t have experience with the Maravia Silverback and every time this thread comes up there seems to be a lack of input on those. A few people will like them but I haven’t heard of anyone having one a long period yet. Apparently, according to jack’s website, they used to make the Silverback pad for Cascade and when Maravia starting making their own kept the name, thus two companies using it. Last year I heard Maravia started using different foam in their pad so you might also want to try to hear from someone using the current version. I keep being tempted to buy one for my wife to compare to the Paco but she keeps limping along on her Landing Pad.

I think it would be very easy to swap out a Leafield valve for the stock on the 4” Paco. If it’s thinner you could go with a Summit valve which is what they use on the 3” Aire pads. Seems like I read Jack will build one with a different valve if you want it. It is slower but you get used to it, the 4” has two. On the Grand I just used it across the front deck so never rolled it up.

·
Registered
79 Posts
[ Last year I heard Maravia started using different foam in their pad so you might also want to try to hear from someone using the current version.]

Osprey makes a good point , I forgot jacks makes a silverback also. Maravia was the one I was talking about. And also maravia pad did feel a little soft on the foam so I dont know how long it will last before the foam breaks down.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sotar makes a couple different pads and there valve is the same as there boats. I have seen a lot of them used and they look pretty sweet. Made in america...

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Ladderboy said:
Sotar makes a couple different pads and there valve is the same as there boats. I have seen a lot of them used and they look pretty sweet. Made in america...
I'm pretty sure i remember calling the factories and Sotar is imported currently. Last i checked (last summer) maravia says still domestic and Jacks for sure is

I have the jacks silverback and its very comfy. Got it used for $140. I use it on a roll a cot and sleep as comfortable as at home

·
I have both versions of the Maravia silverback and I can't say that I can detect a real difference between the two. On the river, I put one on my front deck for seating and one strapped over the cooler, so they do get a bit of abuse. So far they have held up well. My oldest one is 3 or 4 years old and still looks good and sleeps well.

I have no experience with Jacks or Aire pads.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I got a 3 inch Paco this summer and it's been a dream to sleep on compared to the therma a rest thing that I had been using. I actually prefer to sleep with it on the ground as opposed to on a cot now. Less to pack and I never feel rocks. But- because it's so comfy to sleep on I overlook the minor annoyances. #1 the valves are a little annoying (hard to twist- maybe it's because it's still relatively new?) and #2 if it's hot you must put down a sheet on top or else you'll stick to the pad (ewwww).

·
Registered
51 Posts
I bought an AIRE Landing Pad two years ago thinking it appeared to be as tough and comfy, if not tougher and comfier than a JPW Paco or Maravia. I was wrong.

Since I've had it, it's seen aproximately 40 days and nights on the river being used as both a deck cover and sleeping pad, plus a few nights a home. About a year from new, it started wearing heavily at the corners of the pad's ends. A year later, there's large holes on all four corners that I've had to patch, and repatch a few times. I don't baby the thing, but I haven't put it through hell either.

Also, not even a year from new, the foam broke down to a degree that I almost couldn't sleep on it any longer as a side sleeper.

I expected a little more longevity - I got what I paid for.

I just got off of the phone with Canyon Inflatables. They've got some tricks up their sleeves in terms of pads and I think I'm going to give one of their pads a shot this season.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yep - The new-ish company out of Southern Oregon. I've been trading some messages regarding their pads with them today. Sounds like they are building a better pad than anyone, and for less - I plan to get one after the holidays.

The extent of my dealings with them has been a brief phone call today and a few emails. Someone answered the phone and delivered information via email as promised. So far, so good.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
If you need a pad for use on your boat as well as sleeping, then get a Maravia. The JPW valves are a pain.
If you're just looking for a comfortable nights sleep, don't get any of them. Get a roll-a-cot and a Thermarest. Getting off the ground was the best thing I ever did for my back/hips/shoulders & knees. I'll never deal with one of those hot plastic monster pads ever again.
KJ

·
fat guy in a little boat
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
right on everyone. thanks for the great info.
i'm kinda leaning towards a jpw silverback, although it sounds like the maravias are just as durable. I already have a decent cot but it's too bulky and heavy for me to want to bring it on the grand. and i'm too big for a roll-a-cot.
any more opinions would be greatly appreciated, especially about the maravias, as i've never seen one in person.
thanks!!

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
If you need a pad for use on your boat as well as sleeping, then get a Maravia. The JPW valves are a pain.
If you're just looking for a comfortable nights sleep, don't get any of them. Get a roll-a-cot and a Thermarest. Getting off the ground was the best thing I ever did for my back/hips/shoulders & knees. I'll never deal with one of those hot plastic monster pads ever again.
KJ
OK, you say this lot. I typically discount it because I'm not going to get tents that would fit the cots (height). Except now I'm going on the GC, and taking my small cat so I don't need it on my boat. I do like my paco, but it takes fleece fabric and a sheet to make it so I can tolerate being on that plastic thing. My trip is in March so the warmth of those will help. But what about having to bring a tent that is tall enough for a cot? Is your tent tall enough to sit up in while on your cot? If not, it seems like it might be a pain. I am a tent person, not going to go sans tent probably, but you never know. I like to contain my gear and keep creepy crawlies out.

What kind of cot do you use?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts