Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Well Gary the old saying of " you mellow with age might apply to this site". Hell I turned 57 last Nov. and my entire life structure is definitely mellowing. As I think back to my 20's and 30's I should have been dead many times over. So maybe this site getting mellow might not be so bad, and I really don't miss alot of trash talking and downright nasty shit. Having moderators is really a pretty good thing to keep things somewhat in line. But yea things constantly change for better or worse is subjective.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Copy that. I am mellowing also, getting old is rough. Be safe this spring and summer.

·
God Amongst Men
1,993 Posts
The mods have been a lot more fierce over the past couple years. But it's very selective. It seems like a lot of the old time rafting crowd are allowed to shit talk but most others are not. A bit more family friendly these days. Seems like a lot of the focus of conversation has moved to social media.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Most of the Buzz would rather talk about what color of cooler keeps their ice colder, than talk about each others' mothers and sisters... I guess that's their prerogative.
Some of the Buzz won't ever paddle with me cuz I wear a wetsuit, use a Seven2 and think it's the best ever made, and I think swims build character... I guess they can go pound sand.
I personally feel that a little shit talkin' is good for everyone. It's healthy to laugh, and most of us don't do it enough anymore because we take ourselves and others too seriously.
So, you know, pull the panty wad out of your ass and live and laugh a little today...
and tell your mom I said "hi." ;)

·
Registered
846 Posts
There's like 4 people that actually boat still hanging around this website.
Which count doesn't include CGM haha!

I think there are more kayakers talking on facebook than mtnbuzz now, but not sure since I dropped off fb.

The frontrangers are busy making babies, moving to the PNW, riding "enduro" bro, and swimming bear creek. Can't even find a crew for USB anymore! Actually, Forrest is always game.

But things should pick up here once the spring dumps start hitting the rivers, just got 4' from this last storm!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Kick ass. Just came here for the first time in ages to talk about kayaking and here we have it! Shit talking has been banned because it's bad for the Man's bottom line. Although, a tapering number of clicks is probably worse...

To the point:
Any of team grey balls keen for Jarbridge/Bruno or Middle Feather May 7-12 week? Looking to rally the crew.

Joe

·
Premium Member
4,836 Posts
Great to see some actual kayakers post here once again....

don't worry, the mod's won't bust your balls for bringing back a little of the old flair that made this site something that was actually worth logging into for a solid boater, it just became necessary to eliminate some of the ridiculous hostility a few individuals brought to the site.

Cheers to upslope spring storms and getting on your local steep creek!

·
Registered
986 Posts
Kick ass. Just came here for the first time in ages to talk about kayaking and here we have it! Shit talking has been banned because it's bad for the Man's bottom line. Although, a tapering number of clicks is probably worse...

To the point:
Any of team grey balls keen for Jarbridge/Bruno or Middle Feather May 7-12 week? Looking to rally the crew.

Joe
Are you trying to start up the go swimming with joe thread again, and btw devils is a lot better

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
There was a post here earlier today about too many "gay ass ads," which appears to have been removed. In the spirit of community, and kindlessness, I wanted to let the author know that many websites use your browsing habits to identify products, and above all, services, that you might be interested in. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Miss you Gary, especially the trash talk. I'm getting old and more boring too, which is why I need to see more or your bull$*&# just to keep awake!

C-Mo, I'm up for some solid class IV front range action here shortly. J

·
Premium Member
4,836 Posts
There was a post here earlier today about too many "gay ass ads," which appears to have been removed. In the spirit of community, and kindlessness, I wanted to let the author know that many websites use your browsing habits to identify products, and above all, services, that you might be interested in. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
it wasn't removed, it was moved to feedback and support...

·
Registered
328 Posts
Miss you Gary, especially the trash talk. I'm getting old and more boring too, which is why I need to see more or your bull$*&# just to keep awake!

C-Mo, I'm up for some solid class IV front range action here shortly. J
Class IV. Sounds about my speed:cool:

·
Super Moderator
4,108 Posts
Things change over time, and the times change too

Yeah, Gary, the Buzz has changed from the old days. Things have mellowed out a bit, but maybe that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

Since Frenchy started this experiment in ’98, lots of things have changed. The Buzz has gone from a place where a small group of hard core kayakers on the Front Range swapped stories and smack talk to a place where lots of folks come for beta, to swap stories, and generally share things related to rivers. Lots of those original hard core kayakers have done the once-unthinkable – settled down, started families, and some have even bought rafts to share quality river time with the wife and kids.

Once upon a time, most of guys on the Buzz knew each other, trusted each other for their lives and gave each other shit on the Buzz just like they did at the takeout. With the arrival of lots of new folks, some new members saw the smack talk, and the digs at each other, as just how people communicated with each other on the Buzz. For some folks it got out of hand with the flaming and there were plenty of outright nasty personal attacks coming down hard on complete strangers – and that’s not cool.

Also just as society’s been evolving faster than I ever thought I’d see, and the Buzz is changing too. If you want to post a stuff that's homophobic or sexist, or that degrades people because of who they are, that’s not cool either.

Basically, as for what doesn't fly, if you wouldn't say it go a stranger next to you at a bar, or wouldn't want someone talking about your sister that way, it probably doesn't belong on the Buzz any more. The days of folks using the Buzz to sit behind a keyboard and spew at strangers are over.

Joe – You can talk trash all you want. It’s mean-spirited personal attacks, bigotry, and general assholery that aren’t tolerated any more. That's not who you are.

Q - How many MountainBuzzards does it take to change a lightbulb? A – 100, only one to change the bulb and 99 to complain about how much better the old bulb was…

Thanks for coming by. Stick around and contribute. It'd be great to have you.

-AH

1 - 20 of 57 Posts