Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
I never judge a season until it's over. We have the rest of January, February, March, April and even May for significant snowfall to fall. I will hope for snow, but no doomsday predictions are warranted yet.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Am I the only one who grew up in CO and remembers March as "dumper" snow storm month?

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
please.......snow.............must................ski.......................powder................like.....
.........................skiing............knee..................deep.............for.......days..........on..
....end.......cant..........resist..............the........early........season.........already......hit....
..........lots.........of................rocks.........over..........sugar..........skis...........starting...
...to......look................like.......shit......need.....ptex............no...........powder........ ...need...........more..............snow.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I doubt it will suck, but its not likely to be a banner year either. The state is currently sitting at around 75% of average snowpack. This is worse off than recent years, but still better than major drought years.

While march and april typically have more monthly precip than earlier in the winter, many basins are about at a statistical halfway point in the season where average snowpack is 50% of average peak, or in general where 1/2 of the snowpack has been dropped already from a historical perspective. 75% snowpack 1/2 way through the winter isn't getting anybody pumped up thats for sure.

Southwest looks poised to get nailed in the next series of storms, good for them! Central and northern mountains are still hurting though.

Cali is forecast to get rediculous amounts of precip, might be a good year to hit Cali.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Well were up like 20in of snow above total yearly amount here in Greeley...That means the Poudre will run longer as we won't call on much water :)

·
Super Moderator
4,023 Posts
Its waaaaay too early to get discouraged or encouraged about the boating season. Its not inconceivable that two weeks from now the Colorado River Basin could get slammed with some intense storms and be sitting at 150% or normal, and that March, April, and May could bring us a drought during which that snow would all evaporate and we'd be in severe drought conditions during the runoff season. On the flip side, the rest of this month and the next could pass with no new snow, and then we could get a string of spring storms that bring us an epic runoff season.

Now as for the skiing, you can be discouraged for what we've had so far, and hope that things improve. I remember plenty of winters in Summit Co. when we were counting the snowflakes until late January, thinking it would be a terrible year, and then storms came in and everything was great for the rest of the year.

-AH

·
Registered
150 Posts
Am I the only one who grew up in CO and remembers March as "dumper" snow storm month?
Thats what I'm sayn. We haven't had a dumper march in forever I think we're past due. Hold yur horses it aint over till the fat lady sings. Speeken of fat ladies a reliable source told me that it will dumpn if somebody hooks up w/ a fat chick. They said it also applies for ladies and fat dudes so please lets everybody do their part.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Speeken of fat ladies a reliable source told me that it will dumpn if somebody hooks up w/ a fat chick. They said it also applies for ladies and fat dudes so please lets everybody do their part.
So what are you saying Porkchop? That you are fat and need to get laid?:mrgreen:

·
Registered
328 Posts
So what are you saying Porkchop? That you are fat and need to get laid?:mrgreen:
Or that he has his eye on a fat chick and he doesn't want his friends to make fun of him.

I say what the hell, take one for the team if you think it'll help.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts