Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rowed the Rogue last October..flows around 1500cfs. Just looked at hydrograph; I'm having a hard time visualizing Blosson Bar at 97,000 cfs!! Any buzzards launching this weekend? Please post photos if you do, and be sure to get a selfie with Moses...

Attachments

·
Registered
811 Posts
97,000 ft³/s, epic - Yes.
Biblical - Dec. 23, 1964 290,000 ft³/s

My wife and I talked this morning about going down and taking a look, but decided not to.

·
Registered
503 Posts
97,000 ft³/s, epic - Yes.
Biblical - Dec. 23, 1964 290,000 ft³/s
I floated Blossom Bar at 33,000 ft³/s. All of the rocks were under water. There was a big hole at the top, formed by the center rock pile, but it was easily avoidable. Then everything funneled into a train of massive, irregular waves. I made it through unscathed, but swamped. A heavily-loaded barge raft behind me flipped, and a paddle raft dump-trucked. Exciting, but the only losses were because of poor tie-down practices on the flipped boat.

If you can find Glen Wooldridge's book "A River to Run" it tells of his 1955 rescue run on high flood waters in a drift boat. It's an amazing story.

·
Jared
733 Posts
Will Volpert and a small crew ran it from Almeda to Foster Bar in around 4.5 hours yesterday.
For those on Facebook, there are some impressive pictures posted at https://www.facebook.com/rivertrips...57522.1073741838.177100237&type=1&pnref=story
There is also a brief video of Mule Creek Canyon near Staircase Falls where a large hole had formed at http://youtu.be/IvZvSpg5PKE

Ahoy!
Malloy
Ya beat me to it! lol new vid posted of pre Blossom and Blossom as well now

·
Registered
984 Posts
The most impressive shot is that last one of the hydrograph. Steep as hell regardless of the ridiculous logarithmic scale. Being a Colorado Plateau guy (I've flaoted the Rogue 3 times though), my reference point is Cataract Canyon at high water: Serious fun with serious potential consequences. Enjoy it while Ya got up there folks, but watch yourselves! Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice work and thanks for posting....being a SW boater, where we watch for flow increases in the few thousand cfs range, it amazes to see such dramatic flow changes on any river......cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts