Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I know this has been discussed in the past but looking for the latest info. I am looking at new rubber this year, Yay! Wanting an AIRE 146DD and can't decide on what color to go with. Ive had Red,Purple,Blue boats. I really dislike the heat on darker colors and the Sun FADE. My friend got a white boat last year and loves it. He says its stays cooler and wont fade. Great, but what about dirt? Is it hard to keep clean? I am sold but the wife isnt. :roll:

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have a white boat AIRE boat. I would say it gets just as dirty as any other boat, but it's more noticeable because it's white, so it looks more dirty due to that. It doesn't get as hot, but there is a bit of glare off the boat from the sun. It's similar to what you get while skiing, with light being reflected off the white boat around you. But most importantly they just look cool, so there's that.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I would say it gets just as dirty as any other boat, but it's more noticeable because it's white, so it looks more dirty due to that. It doesn't get as hot, but there is a bit of glare off the boat from the sun. It's similar to what you get while skiing, with light being reflected off the white boat around you. But most importantly they just look cool, so there's that.
I've got a white Hyside and I agree with this, though I haven't really noticed additional glare because I boat blindfolded. My other boat is black and gets hot as balls so I went for the other extreme. White boats just look cool.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Yellow is another less heat prone color, as well. I picked up a yellow Hyside last season and it’s kinda been impressive how much cooler the tubes stay vs. previous raft colors of ol blue and darker gray ass burners.

Only weird thing with yellow is when rigging on a bright day, before all that yellow gets buried under gear, frame, coolers and people is that when I look away from the boat everything has a green tint until my eyes readjust. Other than that, I like it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I went with lime on my 146DD after having a blue 156R. I think it will be good in the heat but I didn't feel the blue one was bad either. I rented a lime super puma last summer and it was nice but it wasn't scorching hot out.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I haven't had the privilege to try different colors yet, I think a light grey would be the best combo of low glare, minimal solar gain and less obvious rub marks and straining.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ran boats on the Ganga that were off white/grey coloured and loved it. They don’t get hot and being that they weren’t super bright white the glare was minimal, and the dirt doesn’t stand out as much.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I also recently bought a white hyside and I love it! It doesn’t get hot and don’t worry about having to bleed it in the afternoon although there was a bit of a glare at first but after time it hasn’t been so noticable. I really like the white but the gray would also be a good compromise.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Zbaird said it.... Yes. That said...you shouldn't buy so I feel more special with my white boats.

I bought a white Aire 136DD in 2017 and it made me basically decide that I'll only do White boats from now on. It stays way cooler on hot days, you don't see many white boats so it sticks out, and I just totally dig em. Yes, they do appear dirtier and every little stain sticks out...but its still worth it to me.

Since I got the 136DD I've purchased a white Hyside Mini-Max and will be taking delivery on my white 146DD in the next few days.

Just for some perspective, the Aire boats have grey chafe pads, and on a hot sunny day... it feels like a 20 degree difference in temperature. I've never put a thermometer on it to check...but its very stark. The white material stays basically cold to the touch and the grey material is warm to hot depending on the day.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I boated with some folks recently and two of them had white boats. They were not very good river people, burning trash and plastic and showing little respect for the Canyon and others who use it. I can't say it was because they had white boats.......

So the only good advice I have heard on colors of gear is to get something that won't blend in with the color of the water in case you lose it. A swift water rescue instructor pointed this out right after I got my new Blue dry suit. He said that red or yellow would be easier to find if I was floating unconscious in the river.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Other considerations

Ordered white material last year for the 156 R forever raft family hauler. Cooler tubes will hopefully keep kiddos happy and stoked to boat. Also keeps the riverside couch in play when we’re pulled over for the day. I’m fine with some stains, just stories to remember.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Bwahahaha! Fuck you and your science!

And, dang, since the pocket protectors are out now...according to science, in the real world, I should be seeing purple PBR cans at the put in.

Good news is that raft will be burning out my retinas again here soon in a couple weeks so I can perhaps give two shits about what new colors I am seeing at the launch and report back to the breathlessly waiting buzz masses.

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
Have a gray, 18' Aire cat, almost 20 years old, surface stays comfortable in the intense sun. I look at all the scrapes, discolorations, etc. and fondly remember each trip by those marks!
Also have a 14' Saturn raft (yes, I have, use and like it!), medium blue...had it both on Deso this past June and had no problem keeping either cool with river "wash".

·
Registered
76 Posts
Very easy to clean a white boat with a bit of magic eraser. Don't overdo it, just an easy pass with some diluted simple green and a rag, then a bit of touch up with the magic eraser.

·
Renaissance *******
1,305 Posts
Bwahahaha! Fuck you and your science!And, dang, since the pocket protectors are out now...according to science, in the real world, I should be seeing purple PBR cans at the put in.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts