Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does pinning on a log and having to pull your skirt to exit the river count as a swim? Do I owe a booty beer for that? My thought are it wasn't that bad of a pin and I could have hung out there till the log washed downstream but to expedite the trip I pulled out and walked to shore. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Boof512 is an expert on what classifies as a swim. He should add something to this thread. Hell yes, if you got wet, it is a swim. I wouldn't drink from my booty, I wouldn't expect anyone else to drink from their's.

·
Registered
253 Posts
In the ice game it counts. Now if someone else on the river that day trumped you pin, swim, self rescue; say a full on swim, they buy the round of ice cream. IMHO booty beers are the dumbest tradition in any sport i have ever encountered. I dont think anyone should ever have to drink from a booty. So in my opinion, all you may possibly owe is some ice cream (ice cream can be substituted with another tasty food substance as long as the people you are paddling agree to it).

P.S to those who play and created the ice cream game... Thank You... it is a much better system.

·
Registered
36 Posts
booty beers are the dumbest tradition in any sport i have ever encountered.
booty beers and/or booty shots are a quensisential part of kayaking. I personally think it is one of the best traditions of any sport I have encountered.....The river gods demand their bootet PERIOD! Any swim, pin raft or kayak including falling out of your boat putting in or taking out is a swim.

I once did a booty shot for swimming out of a tube.

Take your bootet like a man. enough said!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Booty Beers are a tradition that protects us by showing our respect to the river gods. Not drinking booty beers gives you serious bad luck karma. To demonstrate this I will share a story.

When I just started to boat I was paddling at Smelter and practicing combat rolls. I swam and self rescued but didn't take a booty bear. Later, while driving back to my cabin I noticed blue lights in my rear view mirror. This was concerning because I had been enjoying the customary post boating bong hits. I also may have been driving with my knees. I did the responsible thing and pulled over, carefully placing my drytop over "gilgamesh the avenger". The officer, upon approaching the car asked for license and registration etc. While walking back to his cruiser he noticed the AW sticker I had just placed there. Coming back to the car he said because I was a boater he would let me off with a warning for a broken tail light. He also said if I happened to place gilgamesh on the curb and left, we'd be straight. While I lucked out to not wind up in jail, I blame the traffic stop entirely on not drinking the booty beer. The hot end of gilgamesh also happened to burn a hole in my brand new drytop which sucked.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
as another story.... drink your damn beer choad. the gods will have their rath unless you do it asap. perferablly in front of your co workers and boss's.

my sotry from this year.
swam in the hoback on friday thanks to a canoe. didn't drink up that night(same thoughts as yours) next day had the kingpin icon stolen out of the back of my truck thank good they left the beer and the jefe. to say the least proudly drank some good ole free beer out of the best damn stanky 4 year old dung'g up teva booties while holding in a big ol G.B. hit. the gods have been pleased since.

drink your beers always! ice cream is the rule for rolls only. and if you swim of coarse you owe ice cream anyways.

so unless you intentionally pinned against the log and wanted to do that; stfu, drink your damn beeer and fing smile. couldn't have been as bad as mine. its what you get. and the gods have already started demanding respect(hence the pin!)

its up to you respect them or possibly face a beat down of magnitudal portportions!

sorry still little drunk from last night

·
Registered
123 Posts
Swims a swim

I'll second TrevorB. You put yourself in a situation to swim then it's a swim. Pin and swim. Pencil, implode and swim. Big Hole and swim. Same thing when you are the one supposed to be controlling your craft.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Later, while driving back to my cabin I noticed blue lights in my rear view mirror. This was concerning because I had been enjoying the customary post boating bong hits. I also may have been driving with my knees. I did the responsible thing and pulled over, carefully placing my drytop over "gilgamesh the avenger". The officer, upon approaching the car asked for license and registration etc. While walking back to his cruiser he noticed the AW sticker I had just placed there. Coming back to the car he said because I was a boater he would let me off with a warning for a broken tail light. He also said if I happened to place gilgamesh on the curb and left, we'd be straight. While I lucked out to not wind up in jail, I blame the traffic stop entirely on not drinking the booty beer. The hot end of gilgamesh also happened to burn a hole in my brand new drytop which sucked.
That is some funny shit.....love the name - gilgamesh the avenger

And yes you need to appease the river and drink your bootie beverage

·
Registered
580 Posts
Booty beers in whitewater paddling are as traditional as shooting the boot in rugby. I couldn't ever imagine that rugby would switch to an ice cream system.

If you don't drink alcohol, then you should start...I mean if you don't, you still should have a booty drink of some kind. Believe it or not, but we enforce the booty rule with the kids on our trips, we just let them do it with a Coke or something. Forget the ice cream thing, it doesn't count.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Thanks

Intentionally placing your boat against the log in an effort to displace it and free this potential hazard is just proper consideration of the rest of your party.
They owe you a beer for showing them this courtesy.

On a lighter note, I don't remember bootie beers before about a decade ago. Maybe I was just swimming to much and it is all a blurr?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Geez- I can't believe we are constantly revisiting this. You were forced to exit your boat by something other than your own volition? You swam AND YOU DRINK.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I liked the gilgamesh story - LMAO

hey just think how lucky you are to be alive to drink a cold one out of your bootie, it could be worse like- someone elses bootie, or a case of beer for each person you were with who helped in retrieveing your stuff..

·
Registered
421 Posts
Any [email protected] who doesn't drink when he wet-exits/swims/otherwise becomes separated from his boat needs to sack up and drink their booty beer. Anytime you come out of your boat counts.

Give me a break with the ice cream. Sounds like my little sister's brownie troop.

·
Super Moderator
2,873 Posts
Just so you know the River Gods could give a rats ass about your river trash asses falling out of your boat and floating down the river.

When you swim and someone has to get your shit you buy them a 12 pak, case or a bottle of Jack or something. This bootie beer shit is dumb, dangerous and dumb again.

I do know that if someone washes your river cup you almost certainly risk a flip and there is nothing you can do about it.

Bwaaaahahha.

Edit to add I liked the Gilgamesh story. Sorry you lost the destoyer and ruined your top.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts