Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks! I've been watching the gage cited below and wondering is this really is a good reflection of the flow on the Upper C from pump house through to Pinball below Catamount. I'm hoping to take a trip rowing two boats - a 16 footer and a 13'5 - but not at 365 cfs! I'm guessing 800 cfs is a minimum for a reasonable trip.

Here is the gage i' watching. a whopping 335 CFS today: USGS Current Conditions for USGS 09058000 COLORADO RIVER NEAR KREMMLING, CO
USGS 09058000 COLORADO RIVER NEAR KREMMLING, CO

thoughts?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ran it last week at 330cfs in a 13 foot Hyside oar rig. Did Pumphouse to Rancho. Everything was runnable in that section. The lakes past radium were a bit low and sometimes could only get half of the oar blade in the water without touching the bottom. Have to run left of Needles Eye. Yarmony was just boney but very runnable. Definitely saw some boats headed down past Rancho as well when arrived at Take Out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
A very slow and boring float at this flow, unless that's what you are after, in which case it's an excellent time to be on the CO.

IKs and one man craft are the way to go until flows come up...if you ask me :) However, there has been no shortage of rafts running it since early April, even commercial rafting trips are going down it at these flows. Below state bridge the flows are higher.

·
Registered
9 Posts
How long of a float would you estimate it is from Pumphouse to Radium? Probably a good float for a 4 year old, yes?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A very slow and boring float at this flow, unless that's what you are after, in which case it's an excellent time to be on the CO.

IKs and one man craft are the way to go until flows come up...if you ask me :) However, there has been no shortage of rafts running it since early April, even commercial rafting trips are going down it at these flows. Below state bridge the flows are higher.
Thanks! As much as i like Needles Eye, I want nothing to do with competing with the commercials - and from how i've been treated, they want nothing to do with us privates. I just may skip that segment and launch downstream. Interesting that flow is higher below state bridge. I wouldn't have thought that the other inflows would be contributing that much.. Cheers!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Floated/Fished State Bridge to Catamount last week in a 16' raft. Catamount gauge between 700 and 800. Kremmling gauge between 400 and 450. No problem although some riffles were shallow especially where the river braids. River is definitely slower at this level so give yourself some extra time or oar more than normal. And we had almost no wind. Wanted to float higher up in the river but changed plans due to low gauge readings at Kremmling. Glad I did. I see Catamount gauge now at 900.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Floated/Fished State Bridge to Catamount last week in a 16' raft. Catamount gauge between 700 and 800. Kremmling gauge between 400 and 450. No problem although some riffles were shallow especially where the river braids. River is definitely slower at this level so give yourself some extra time or oar more than normal. And we had almost no wind. Wanted to float higher up in the river but changed plans due to low gauge readings at Kremmling. Glad I did. I see Catamount gauge now at 900.
So, how was the fishing? 2bridge to Cat is becoming my favorite fish stretch....

·
Registered
17 Posts
So, how was the fishing? 2bridge to Cat is becoming my favorite fish stretch....
You and half the front range :D :D

I might be the only person unhappy they put in the two bridges ramp. Used to be you had to float from State to Catamount, made for a very long day but you rarely saw anyone else on the stretch. Now those sections are just part of the show, crowded, lots of guide trips, way more rafters, etc.

Thanks! As much as i like Needles Eye, I want nothing to do with competing with the commercials - and from how i've been treated, they want nothing to do with us privates. I just may skip that segment and launch downstream. Interesting that flow is higher below state bridge. I wouldn't have thought that the other inflows would be contributing that much.. Cheers!
I didn't think there were too many to be honest, though definitely never had much alone time on the river, as expected on that stretch!

Needle's eye wasn't even a rapid at that flow. I watched a young girl take a SUP right into the wall, as she headed inevitably for it she laid down on the board holding on for dear life, hit the wall with a loud thud, bounced, looked at me and smiled, then hopped back up and kept going :D :D

Couple of very young kids were riding tubes down it. SMH

·
Registered
111 Posts
You and half the front range :D :D

I might be the only person unhappy they put in the two bridges ramp. Used to be you had to float from State to Catamount, made for a very long day but you rarely saw anyone else on the stretch. Now those sections are just part of the show, crowded, lots of guide trips, way more rafters, etc.
That is the norm everywhere....2Bridges is better than the old bond take out, but busy. I figured the water might be getting too warm....

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would rate it as average. I've had better and I've had a lot worse. We did two separate day trips. Evening trip State Bridge to Two Bridges and all day trip Two Bridges to Catamount. Still some stone flies hatching between State and Two. Surprisingly very little bug activity on the second day from Two to Catamount.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How long did that run take you?

·
Registered
17 Posts
That is the norm everywhere....2Bridges is better than the old bond take out, but busy. I figured the water might be getting too warm....
I felt like the fish above Radium were already lethargic. Flows are even lower now. This is crazy.

Looking across gauges at many places, records high temps this week, yet flows are dropping. I guess the peak for 2021 is over. What a strange year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts