Mountain Buzz banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
I will NEVER spend money on fancy buckets. Its just not worth it. Just kidding....I bought the Yeti bucket, admitted so on here and caught a ton on crap about it (even from a mod). But since I also put crap into it, maybe this all works out in the end. The pearl-clutching about the cost of gear, however useful it might be, is one thing that never seems to change on the ol Buzz.

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
I will NEVER spend money on fancy buckets. Its just not worth it. Just kidding....I bought the Yeti bucket, admitted so on here and caught a ton on crap about it (even from a mod). But since I also put crap into it, maybe this all works out in the end. The pearl-clutching about the cost of gear, however useful it might be, is one thing that never seems to change on the ol Buzz.
Well, when you put it that way, it's less expensive than an Ecosafe, a Coyote, a Selway, and a LOT cheaper than a Jonny Partner!

maybe someone needs to engineer a sealing toilet seat for it....would be quite worthwhile!

|Groover| by Yeti.
Gas Metal Rectangle Fashion accessory Aluminium

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hey Upacreek,
How do you seal your Yeti bucket? I always thought they'd make a great cheap groover if Yeti would make a decent lid for them that would stay on and seal, but I don't trust the Yeti lids, and when I was checking Gamma lids, they didn't fit the Yeti buckets.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hey Upacreek,
How do you seal your Yeti bucket? I always thought they'd make a great cheap groover if Yeti would make a decent lid for them that would stay on and seal, but I don't trust the Yeti lids, and when I was checking Gamma lids, they didn't fit the Yeti buckets.
put the gamma lid on a regular bucket and slide the regular bucket into the yeti bucket... there is a picture of this right above your post

·
Registered
33 Posts
put the gamma lid on a regular bucket and slide the regular bucket into the yeti bucket... there is a picture of this right above your post
Sooooo what is the benefit of the Yeti bucket in this scenario? Seems like it only works because of the regular bucket, in which case you could just use the regular bucket? Just a little stronger?

I've never been one for taking shortcuts when it comes to poop...just use the right tool for the job and you won't get poop in the river, on yourself (hopefully), and people won't get sick.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Sooooo what is the benefit of the Yeti bucket in this scenario? Seems like it only works because of the regular bucket, in which case you could just use the regular bucket? Just a little stronger?

I've never been one for taking shortcuts when it comes to poop...just use the right tool for the job and you won't get poop in the river, on yourself (hopefully), and people won't get sick.
it is way stronger... it turns a cheap ass flimsy bucket into an extremely durable uv resistant bucket. it makes the bucket crush proof, and has built in tie down points. there are a ton of folks that say "why would you spend $40 on a bucket?" that have $500 coolers in their boats. a $40 cooler will do the job in most cases but the hinges might break off and if you stand on it you might crush the lid and it will get brittle if exposed to the sun, ect.... same concept here. I wouldn't suggest you go out and buy 4 yeti buckets to use as general purpose kitchen buckets (unless you never want to deal with a broken bucket again). i think the yeti bucket serves an awesome role in my gear pile if its a dry box, kitchen box, food box, or a groover on a self support trip. the bucket in my yeti has probably 20 river trips and dozen utv trips and a bunch of road trips... I don't shit directly into the bucket I use wag bags in it. though I do need to replace the gamma lid on mine (the one i use as a groover) as its getting brittle due to uv exposure.

some one might go out and buy a piece of sewn river gear to secure buckets for $50-$100 or they could just buy a yeti bucket...

·
Registered
230 Posts
Well I don't use it exactly as a groover, per say. Like azpowell, I line it with a Wag bag for the dirty business then move those (hopefully) now-sealed bags into a smaller ammo can. But I'd challenge any naysayer to try and confidently put their keaster on a flimsy, regular ol bucket for their morning glory. Sure, I also have an Ecosafe setup...although on shorter trips and/or with a small group, this is an ideal option in my opinion. In such situations and being a stickler for efficient use of boat space, my personal preference is to nest this bucket inside two chicky pails, with two smaller ones inside that (hand wash station), all contained within a Tuff River Stuff's Dish Pail Bag sitting in a GSI wash basin.
Bag Luggage and bags Hat Gas Basket
Drinkware Cup Water Bucket Serveware

For another damning confession, I've since bought the Yeti bucket lid as well and its def burly enough to support a couple hundred pound (standing on it) with nary a flex. Although I am not about to trust it to contain a bunch of unsecured turds, nor should anyone imho.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts