Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Beginner
2,938 Posts
I'm going to just assume that no boater has ever used this gear. For soft gear, buy watershed. For hard, but medium-light, pelican or other plastic boxes. For boating kitchens and raft-supported trips, aluminum. I don't really know where this storage gear fits in to the world of outdoor gear cargo, but it probably ain't boating.

·
Registered
909 Posts
For soft gear, buy watershed. For hard, but medium-light, pelican or other plastic boxes. For boating kitchens and raft-supported trips, aluminum. I don't really know where this storage gear fits in to the world of outdoor gear cargo, but it probably ain't boating.

I agree. Seems sorta pointless. Not really secure, water proof.... I guess it's better than Rubbermaid totes?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree. Seems sorta pointless. Not really secure, water proof.... I guess it's better than Rubbermaid totes?
That’s the issue. Clearly not a dry box or a lovely dry bag, but also clearly not a weighty box requiring two people to lug to the kitchen. Organization in a dry box like Rubbermaid with in my view hurt to carry, become soft and then brittle and fail in the desert heat and sun, able to stay up top, not be overwhelmed unless it was a deluge of rain, soft, package. I have been looking at a variety of overland gear to augment my kitchen.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I definitely like multiple containers for a kitchen over having one big ole box with everything in it. I have one friend that has a kitchen box with just about everything you need, but it takes four people with strong backs to carry it up to camp. I'd much rather have 2 or 3 smaller boxes that one or two people could carry. I have other friends that have multiple York Pack boxes for their kitchen and it seems to work allright and one person can manage them...barely.

I don't hate the idea of a lighter weight collapsible bag for carrying a kitchen. I think I'd prefer it be more then "weatherproof" but I guess a kitchen doesn't always matter if it gets wet. I do worry about critters chewing through those bags when you bring em up to camp though. Even if you don't store food...they errant bit of food stuck to a pot or something might attract their interest. Its nice to be able to just close a lid and not have to worry about it.

They seem to be well built, but its a little on the spendy side for something I'm not sure would work. I wonder if there is a cheap version of it on Amazon or something that you could try out and see how it works and if you like it then buy these.

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
I definitely like multiple containers for a kitchen over having one big ole box with everything in it. I have one friend that has a kitchen box with just about everything you need, but it takes four people with strong backs to carry it up to camp. I'd much rather have 2 or 3 smaller boxes that one or two people could carry. I have other friends that have multiple York Pack boxes for their kitchen and it seems to work allright and one person can manage them...barely.

I don't hate the idea of a lighter weight collapsible bag for carrying a kitchen. I think I'd prefer it be more then "weatherproof" but I guess a kitchen doesn't always matter if it gets wet. I do worry about critters chewing through those bags when you bring em up to camp though. Even if you don't store food...they errant bit of food stuck to a pot or something might attract their interest. Its nice to be able to just close a lid and not have to worry about it
Agree on breaking down the kitchen.

IMHO dishes and pots don't really have to be rainproof or waterproof or critter-proof.

But your spices, food, stove, and paper towels should more often be in a hard/waterproof container.

·
Registered
376 Posts
You ever been to HD/Lowes/Costco and seem them fancy black and yella plastic bins? Woooooeee! Those things are cheaper than (you know what) and last just fine. My entire outdoor gear pile is sorted by those. Bike parts, Raft Repair, Whitewater gear, ski layers, fishing stuff, camping. etc etc. Sure folks are gonna buy them, but then again, people also buy Yeti's 5 gal bucket.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
You ever been to HD/Lowes/Costco and seem them fancy black and yella plastic bins? Woooooeee! Those things are cheaper than (you know what) and last just fine. My entire outdoor gear pile is sorted by those. Bike parts, Raft Repair, Whitewater gear, ski layers, fishing stuff, camping. etc etc. Sure folks are gonna buy them, but then again, people also buy Yeti's 5 gal bucket.
Screw carrying them...just make the whole boat out of them...

Product Asphalt Font Slope Screenshot

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a collection. Pros=cheap, cons=can hurt to carry, black color, if broken is sharp and thus not nice over time

·
Registered
402 Posts
All I've gathered from this thread is that the Yeti 5 gal bucket is the ultimate piece of equipment for all activities and I will never use a free pickle bucket from behind Applebee's again.
the key is to put the gamma lid on the pickle bucket then slide it inside the yeti bucket... i really don't understand the weird hate for a yeti bucket.... its one of my favorite containers, swap the inside bucket and it goes from a wag bag toilet system to food storage...

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
The free pickle buckets from behind Jimmy John's are superior. haha

The $3 red pickle buckets from Firehouse Subs are to be avoided. Even though the $3 gets donated to first responders, their buckets (as well as Home Depot's orange Homer Buckets) are out of spec with other common 5gal buckets and they will irreversibly stick together with in-spec buckets.

Plastic paint buckets from my painter's dumpster often have interesting colors spattered on them..which will peel off the plastic if latex paint....and are also in spec.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts