Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I bought a Jackson Zen 55 and I love it. Just for fun I was on Jackson's website and looked at the specs of the Zen... Anyways, the maximum recommended weight is 120lbs. I am 5'4 125lbs and still growing (haven't had my growth spurt yet either). I use it as my river runner/creeker and I know in creeking you generally want a higher volume boat and my Zen is only 55 gallons... Right now I run Shoshone, Dowd (ran a high water lap the other day and plan on many more) and I hope to be running Slaughterhouse, barrel springs, and maybe even Gore (probably portage gore and tunnel).

So I really just have 2 questions:
1) Am I too heavy for my Zen?
2) Even If i fit in it will it be fine on these runs and still be okay once I transition into class V?

Thank you!

·
Registered
950 Posts
I don't know the boat or specs but you will need a bigger/more appropriately sized boat...and since you are growing it's a no brainer. As you sink the boat you lose fine control over it. It's much better to be on the low side of the range because you'll eventually pack gear/food and such for longer creeking adventures and over-nighters.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just realized I f'd up the title haha it should be "Is my boat too SMALL???"

·
Registered
501 Posts
Caleb,

Yes, and for the runs you listed as planning to advance to ... you should get yourself into the Karma S (it's rated for up to 155 lbs). The Karma is the best whitewater kayak ever. Coming from the Zen, you will love it. I'll be posting a complete review of the Karma on Four Corners River Sports blog soon, but talk to them and get yourself the Karma S for enjoying your growth and class IV-V pursuits in kayaking. Congrats on loving the sport. Fell free to contact me if you have any questions.

Ken

·
Registered
325 Posts
Boat specs always confuse me...I own a mamba 7.5 and it is only 57 gallons (so they say). The weight range is 120-170. How can this be when it is 3 gallons less than the Zen 55?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts