Mountain Buzz banner

Is it OK to camp at Cisco?

7K views 22 replies 19 participants last post by  saline 
#1 ·
Thinking of camping at Cisco - arriving late in the evening, and then driving to the Westy put-in the next morning, so that our shuttle is already run. Is this allowed?

#8 ·
thanks to all for the replies. since we wont be meeting the rest of the group until the following morning (after we will potentially be camping at cisco), it begs to question - are there any facilities there- even just pit toilets??

#9 ·
Cisco landing has pit toilets at the parking lot. River Use Stipulations state no camping for two miles BELOW Cisco take out. I don't know why you couldn't camp on any of the side roads north of the Cisco take out. Watch out for the bugs. With all the high water this year the mosquito's are currently FAR WORSE than anything at the Desolation Sand Wash put in or Bug Island/Bug Park on the Green. Ran Westwater last week and everyone lost lots of blood at the take out. Never seen anything like it in all my years of running Westwater. Up river through Ruby/Horsethief only the usual biting flies and they only go for the person behind the oars.

#10 ·
BEWARE OF CISCO

The wife and I were driving I-70 late one night and itr was about 1:30 AM and we were tired. So we thought: "Hey we will just camo at the Westwater takeout. So we pulled down the road and began unloading our Paco Pads to crash on the ground. Then a drunk old guy walked up with a headlamp on and began rambling about our Nice Stuff and being generally creepy. He was milling about not leaving us alone. A couple minutes into it I noticed a pistol tucked into the left side of his pants with an unbuttoned jacket just covering it up. My adrenaline started pumping but I knew the guy was slow and drunk, and I am fast. So I decided to not say anything unless he went for the gun. A minute or two later he dropped his left hand and started to pull back his coat flap. I lunged over to him and grabbed the gun out of his pants just as his hand was hitting it. Needless to say some serious shouting and ranting ensued. I told him we would give it back in the morning. We started to lay down. He thought he had turned his headlamp "off" but he had turned it to "blink". We watched as a blinking light climbed the hill behind us and started to come down on our camp from above. We jumped in the car and sped down the road for a new campsite. Ended up chucking the gun out the right side of the car on the dirt road down to the takeout. It's probably still there.

Put Ins are some of my favorite campsites but there are sketchy people out there.

#13 ·
Was this in the ghost town of Cisco or clear down by the takeout?

The wife and I were driving I-70 late one night and itr was about 1:30 AM and we were tired. So we thought: "Hey we will just camo at the Westwater takeout. So we pulled down the road and began unloading our Paco Pads to crash on the ground. Then a drunk old guy walked up with a headlamp on and began rambling about our Nice Stuff and being generally creepy. He was milling about not leaving us alone. A couple minutes into it I noticed a pistol tucked into the left side of his pants with an unbuttoned jacket just covering it up. My adrenaline started pumping but I knew the guy was slow and drunk, and I am fast. So I decided to not say anything unless he went for the gun. A minute or two later he dropped his left hand and started to pull back his coat flap. I lunged over to him and grabbed the gun out of his pants just as his hand was hitting it. Needless to say some serious shouting and ranting ensued. I told him we would give it back in the morning. We started to lay down. He thought he had turned his headlamp "off" but he had turned it to "blink". We watched as a blinking light climbed the hill behind us and started to come down on our camp from above. We jumped in the car and sped down the road for a new campsite. Ended up chucking the gun out the right side of the car on the dirt road down to the takeout. It's probably still there.

Put Ins are some of my favorite campsites but there are sketchy people out there.

#11 ·
Wow! If Craporadon's post is for real, that's a huge concern. The "town" of Cisco has always kinda made us cringe, but that's kinda over the top. We've only ever camped there once, but it was on a busy weekend. Kinda makes reconsider ever camping there again. There's always other places to camp.

#17 ·
The Hills Have Eyes

Cisco always reminds me of the movie "The Hills Have Eyes" Super creepy. That said, I have a dog named Cisco 'cause thats where he looks like he belongs, napping on top of a burnt up old car ready to ruin someone's day. Junk yard dog for sure.

#22 ·
It happened at the Take Out. We found a nice spot just 1 mile downstream, so that could be a good idea to get away from any rif-raf that may be camping at the Ramp. I have camped at the Ramp since then though, I ain't afraid of Cisco, I just don't look at the reflections in the windows when I drive by.

#23 ·
Take the dirt road that takes off just prior to Cisco. There is a sign there that says Kokopelli Trail. It's good dirt road and there are good flat camping spots along the road. Up this road about 2 miles there is a sweet area of slickrock (near some power poles). We camp there often but I wouldn't want to drag a trailer down there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.