Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
I've an old acquaintance who just posted "I got prego so please fund me because I can't afford a baby right now"...I think you're ok asking for a boat!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Hi,

As an old coot with somewhat antiquated thinking, I can still applaud internet fund-raising in some circumstances. Most particularly, that would be when people whose life circumstances put them in genuine need are able to connect with folks who are generous in their thinking, and their ability to share their resources.

I also think if individuals want to kick in on a commercial venture for some reason -- knowing its risks and potential benefits -- so be it.

I am a bit less relaxed in my thinking when it comes to cases that stray from my mental models. But if someone wants to fund another person's recreational interests, it's still a free world for them to do so.

And if there are any ethical considerations, they don't immediately jump to mind -- as long as the internet organization acting as a broker for those transactions is operating legitimately. But I confess I don't follow this issue all that closely, so there might be some other factors that come into play.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Completely ethical.

If there are any wealthy benefactors that would like to fund my kayaking gear in order to enjoy carnage stories, hit me up. I need a new boat... and you really like hearing bedtime stories that involve gear loss, beatdowns, and misc. holy shit moments.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Completely ethical.

If there are any wealthy benefactors that would like to fund my kayaking gear in order to enjoy carnage stories, hit me up. I need a new boat... and you really like hearing bedtime stories that involve gear loss, beatdowns, and misc. holy shit moments.
Ditto! I would love for someone to fund me! I guess that is kinda what a sponsor is too. Woman can have sugar daddies, can river rats have rich people that buy us stuff?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well Gavin is creeping closer to his goal and I think he would get a kick out of how supportive the Colorado community is of his fundraising efforts.

·
Registered
797 Posts
That's creative I'll give him that....at least he's offering services to people who donate, so you could potentially get something back for your consideration.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
No! I bet you're a 20 something who has been raised with an entitlement mentality. Go find a second job(or first one-get out of your parents basement!) to afford what you need you dirtbag.

Jeez, the nerve! Crowdfunding should be for charity ie. people with cancer, needing transplants or for raising capital for a project. If you do have a job I'd guess you work for the government or a union!

·
Registered
610 Posts
No! I bet you're a 20 something who has been raised with an entitlement mentality. Go find a second job(or first one-get out of your parents basement!) to afford what you need you dirtbag.

Jeez, the nerve! Crowdfunding should be for charity ie. people with cancer, needing transplants or for raising capital for a project. If you do have a job I'd guess you work for the government or a union!
Wow! Tell us how you really feel...

Craig also has a thing up on Go Fund Me for a new park down by the river.
Diversion Park by Robert Schenck - GoFundMe

Kinda sad that the kid asking for a new boat has raised more money than the park.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
What's the ethical dilemma? That he wants a German made boat instead of supporting an American company? Globalization buddy.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I can't imagine there is any ethical issue as long as the recipient and website are being transparent with the donors. I think many of us find the idea silly and selfish but my worldview in this case shouldn't stop like-minded people from helping each other out. I see no difference between artist having patrons and anybody else especially if they get to live vicariously through the person's endeavors. I definitely don't find much value or support for the flimsy idea of the protestant ethic that believes there is an scale of inherent value, i.e. high versus vice.

Let bygones be bygones in this case as I see no real harm to anybody.

Phillip

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I see the kid's request as another way of asking for gift cards for his B-day, but just not to Best Buy or Target. Let's his friends and family contribute to something he actually likes.
On the other hand, I can also see the laziness factor. Dude's not 13 with no chance of a J O B. He's got a GoPro and some type of computer to edit and post youtube a video that shows he's got TWO chainsaws and other boats. If he was in dire need of this toy, then he could sell some of his other toys. I will pass on donating to him.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I don't think it's necessarily unethical if he's being honest and transparent. That being said, I'm not going to send him any money. I have my own boating gear to fund.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Can't say it's unethical, but unless you have no family and are too young to have a job, you should post in bold, "total loser in need of a handout." I you work for it, I'd be willing to guess you'd take batter care of it and appreciate it a lot more. Just sayin, not necessarily unethical, but not really respectable. You have a conscious, which is why your asking.

·
Registered
447 Posts
If people want to fund its their money they can do what they want with it. Not unethical at all.

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
Totally ethical, totally tacky and worthy of endless amounts of shit talking. No different than trust funding.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Need beer, whiskey, and weed. Just dumped 12k into a new rig, please donate to my go fund me page so I can afford to pull a permit.

You know, Frederick Fucking Chopin.

·
Registered
323 Posts
British Dictionary definitions for*ethicsExpand

ethics

/ˈɛθɪks/

noun*

(functioning*as*sing)*the*philosophical*study*of*the*moralvalue*of*human*conduct*and*of*the*rules*and*principles*thatought*to*govern*it;*moral*philosophy*See*also*meta-ethics

(functioning*as*pl)*a*social,*religious,*or*civil*code*ofbehaviour*considered*correct,*esp*that*of*a*particulargroup,*profession,*or*individual

(functioning*as*pl)*the*moral*fitness*of*a*decision,*course*ofaction,*etc:*he*doubted*the*ethics*of*their*verdict

1 - 20 of 40 Posts