Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or is it just an evil rumor? This area got 3 feet of snow last week, its just a matter of time, unless the reservoir near westcliffe is really big.

·
Registered
40 Posts
grape creek

not yet. we braved the snow paddled the royal gorge today. some water was coming out of grape creek, maybe 20-30cfs. not enough to boat on though
best regards
beaner

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
The DWR data shows grape running over 220 cfs on 4/26 - late in the evening 7:30pm or so - A few of us are going to try and get up there to run it wed in the afternoon 2pm or so - if it keeps up -

·
Registered
331 Posts
RDNEK said:
The DWR data shows grape running over 220 cfs on 4/26 - late in the evening 7:30pm or so - A few of us are going to try and get up there to run it wed in the afternoon 2pm or so - if it keeps up -
Where are you meeting? I live about 10 miles away from Grape Creek and would love to see it. I've not run it before if you don't mind showing me the lines. After I know how to get there, I could drive over and be the local "Eyes-On" to let people know when it's running.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
RDNek, I'd really like to go on wednesday, but I can't get there till 3:30 or so. I may bring some friends down and we'd really appreciate it if you'd give us a call as to whether it's running or not since we're coming from a couple hours away. Grape creek is notorious for running one second and not the next. Anyone who knows if it's running, please post here or call me at (303) 594-9733.
Joe

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
We are going to give her a try on Wed - If the flow keeps up - it has been dropping to 70-90 cfs early in the day and running 200-230 late in the day - It looks like it should be hot today so I have my fingers crossed for a run. We are going to meet at Ft Gorge RV park (up on 8 mile hill) on about 1:30 pm wed and try and catch the late day run off. Someone could meet us at the put in if running late the shuttle will be large enough. If anyone in the area can go and give it a look late in the day on Tues shoot a post up if it is running and how big - Thanks -

As far as the run it has been a long time since I hit it and it seemed to be a fairly easy Colorado creek with a couple of larger notable drops - take this for what its worth -

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm with Caspian, what's the beta on this one? Paddeled past the confluence into the Ark many times, always wondered what lies up stream.

hmmmm....mysterious.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Better get a visual on this one ... doesn't need much but it goes away fast! The gage that you are seeing is above the lake and unless it is full you may be disappointed. If you know any body in Westcliffe have them run over to De Wesse for a level check on the lake. Having done the run I would caution you on the shuttle (3:30 start time). The last time I was there the put in the road was pretty well washed out unless you have one hell of a 4X4 (walk wasn't bad). Don't use the Gorge take out either ... if at all possible. Temple Canyon Rd will cut off the bumpy end.

Super interested if there is water, ran out at the end of the last trip.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Hey Rednck (JV??). FYI, I floated by the Grape confluence today at about 4:30 (working). It looked like there was about 100-150 cfs coming out. Its hard to tell, especially 'cause its all braided now, but we definitely werent like "holy shit, its definitely running'. There was however more water than I've seen in there before. We tried once last year and got denied... Good luck if you go tomorrow and let us know how it went. I think it may well go this year......at least for a few hours.

-C

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pj is corect, dont waste time running the stuff below temple. many mile of fast class 2 and worse shuttle.

Ed I believe you can get a visual on the mouth, by walking upstream a little ways from the upper most take out. Binocs might help you see it better.

I also agreen that the gauge is meaningless, unless the res. is full.

I never saw the gauge the couple of times I did this run (97 and 98 maybe), but I bet 250 would be on the low side. For a small creek there is a lot of room in there. I think even at big water there would be good eddies in the flood plains near the meat of the run.

·
Registered
331 Posts
warning----excited rambling thoughts below.

Thanks for the info.... now if I could only locate my CRC2. I'll be up there tomorrow for a visual of the confuence with the Ark. I'll check-n-post around noon? ----If I check it too early it may not be up for the day and if I check it too late, there won't be time for people to drive down.---- If only I had a wireless internet connection and a lap top with a camera all hooked together. livefeed of the river. :) I'll take my cell phone and call----someone. Who? Or I could hit the Library in Canon City, or come home and type it out. I've never seen it running so I don't know what a good flow looks like for this creek. I don't know where the major drops are so I can't find them to look at them without walking the whole creek. Gotta find that CRC2 tonight!

See you tomorrow.

Ed

·
Registered
882 Posts
Ed, you can call me at 303-870-6991 and I'll post. I have a wireless connection that will work anywhere in Denver. If it's up, two of us may come down, but we'd be arriving close to 3 or 3:30, which from the post above, would seem to be the latest you can start shuttle (someone correct me if this is wrong!). Whether I can go or not, I'll post if you call.

Steve Phillips

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How much are they taking out above Canon city?

If we subtract parkdale from canon city, and add back in for any diversions, we should have a pretty good Idea of grape.

Also if grape is in fact showing a diurnal fluctuation, as seen at the confluence, maybe we can assume that the res is full, and that the upstream gauge is at least pretty close .

·
Registered
331 Posts
The link to the gauge currently reads 45 cfs, but I'll run down in a couple hours and report back. It's a nice day down here and maybe the warm air will kick it back up.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Thanks for all the good info - I think that we are going to wait until we hear if it is running or not to make the journey - if anyone gets up there let us know how it went -

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Alright, I talked to Ed Hansen this morning at about 10:30. He said that he was looking at the confluence of Grape and the Ark and that it was deep enough to float a boat, but looked boney. He's moving upstream to get a look at some of the rapids and said he'd call me back. It's also warm down there and sounds like it could be good to go this afternoon! I'll keep you posted. Looks like this afternoon may be the only run for a while because it's supposed to be 40 in denver tomorrow.
Joe

·
Registered
882 Posts
Ed just called - he says that from the view at the confluence, there definitely seems to be enough to boat right there. He has not done Grape before (nor have I) so he does not know if this translates to enough water in the rapids upstream. He is hiking up there right now to see what else he can learn.

In the meantime, you folks who have run this before - does a "looks boatable" level at the confluence translate to enough water upstream? It seems like several of us are planning our day around this, so all input is appreciated.

Steve

1 - 20 of 26 Posts