Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is an Oldtown Dirigo 106 10' 6" a good boat for Class IVs? I've never Kayaked but have ran IIIs in canoes with airbags. I don't want to do acrobatics just make it through hard water right side up.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
You can make it down just about anything in any boat. It might be a little more challenging on the maneuvering, but the boat'll make it down just fine. I remember the good ol' days (okay, they weren't that great) when the only boats out there were made out of fiberglass and longer than 10'.

COUNT

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
6' playboats.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
There is a wide range of "regulars" on this forum plenty of beginner/intermediates II- IV but mostly advanced /expert IV -VI,just look at the photo galleries!Most of the runs you're talking about would be considered very easy by most,those old school guidebooks and stuff put out by the Ark Headwaters tends to over rate rapids or go by what they would be at high water.Low wter runs could be pretty tough on your equiptment and hard to manouver those tanks through bony rocky stuff. Idon't think Old Town touring Kayaks are really made to take that kind of abuse,but could certainly survive ;Shoshone - Newcastle,LWR. Roaring FK., Deckers -Chutes,So.Platte through Denver, Lwr . Blue',LWR. tAYLOR, and the easier stretches of the ARK= Parkdale,SB to Salida,and Rincon. Fractions and Browns are not hard but maybe better in a more durable boat.All those runs are 2 -3 and should have late season water{Shoshone ,Browns,and Fractions are a little harder III}.

As far as what most regulars are running,whatever still has water,basically;
Waterton, Bailey, Foxton,Gore Canyon,low water runs on constricted sections of the Ark and Poudre,monsoon runs near Durango,and Westwater.

I should have mentioned Pumphose/ Statebridge ,runs late perfect for what it sounds like you want and easily combined with lower Blue or Shoshone. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The boat in question is a flatwater rec. boat. Not designed for whitewater at all. Keep this boat in the flats.

Steve Sell
Prijon/WildWasser Sport

There is a wide range of "regulars" on this forum plenty of beginner/intermediates II- IV but mostly advanced /expert IV -VI,just look at the photo galleries!Most of the runs you're talking about would be considered very easy by most,those old school guidebooks and stuff put out by the Ark Headwaters tends to over rate rapids or go by what they would be at high water.Low wter runs could be pretty tough on your equiptment and hard to manouver those tanks through bony rocky stuff. Idon't think Old Town touring Kayaks are really made to take that kind of abuse,but could certainly survive ;Shoshone - Newcastle,LWR. Roaring FK., Deckers -Chutes,So.Platte through Denver, Lwr . Blue',LWR. tAYLOR, and the easier stretches of the ARK= Parkdale,SB to Salida,and Rincon. Fractions and Browns are not hard but maybe better in a more durable boat.All those runs are 2 -3 and should have late season water{Shoshone ,Browns,and Fractions are a little harder III}.

As far as what most regulars are running,whatever still has water,basically;
Waterton, Bailey, Foxton,Gore Canyon,low water runs on constricted sections of the Ark and Poudre,monsoon runs near Durango,and Westwater.

I should have mentioned Pumphose/ Statebridge ,runs late perfect for what it sounds like you want and easily combined with lower Blue or Shoshone. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
yeah that's sort of what I was saying, not'really made'' for whitewater but you could 'survive" easy whitewater if it's not too rocky,you should have a 'more durable' boat to run Browns or Fractions ,and definitely for class 4,it may not handle the waves and holes very well on Shoshone.I didn't want to outright say you could'nt ,because you probably can if you kept it mellow.,THOUGH THERES A GOOD CHANCE OF BREAKING THE BOAT IF YOU MESS UP, if you are in reasonable shape,can swim ,wear a life jacketand helmut,there is minimal chance of serious injury on II AND EASY III AT LOW FLOWS. I suppose you could pin on something.I WOULD RECOMMEND THE APPROPRIATE BOAT,or keep it way mellow.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Mike,

Greetings I am the Old Town rep and that boat is 100% designed for flat water, it will be fine down a flat water river but that is all.

It has that huge open cockpit which is meant for comfort paddling around a lake but that is it. Paddling a whitewater run you will fill that cockpit up and be completely out of control, plus with the design you will just float around in the boat and not be able to control it properly.

Please do not risk your life paddling that down class 4 river.

If you want to get into paddling whitewater, visit your local whitewater shop and inquire about proper boats and classes or look into the swap section of this forum.

Danny

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just did IVs

For lack of better advice sooner we bought 2 Old towns last week and ran them. We did Salida to just below Badger and found excellent performance compared to our only comparison, 15 and 17' coleman open canoes with air bags.
Badjer is awesome!!!! On the 2nd attempt we even made it with a 15' coleman open canoe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts