Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm shopping for a kitchen box, and most of the ones I'm seeing "off the shelf" are 38" wide. that's exactly the distance between the tubes on my raft. Will this wear holes in the tubes? If so, how much clearance should I have between boxes and tubes?

Thanks, kip

·
Registered
554 Posts
On my current and last 3 boats I had dryboxes custom made so they would the entire space/distance between the tubes, but I put adhesive backed mini-cell foam (the thin stuff) on the box to reduce abrasion. It's probably overkill, but I do this to stiffen the boat because, after thwart removal, there is nothing to hold the tubes out where they belong from side to side. I think it helps. To each his own.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I recommend ordering an inch or two narrower than the tube to tube length. I also recommend setting up your boat with the frame and cinch it down then measure the space between tubes. I found that the manufacture specs are based on the width with thwarts, but when you use a frame the tubes pull in a bit when you tighten up the frame straps.

If it is close putting a buffer as BCJ said is a good option. Using the drybox as support for the tubes is not needed, the frame gives the boat the support in place of the thwarts.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
What kind of thwart attachment system does your raft have? If it has the "knuckles" then you'll need to take that into consideration, as they take up space. My Hyside raft's inside width is listed at 1 inch larger than my dry box width on the manufacturer specs. I can just barely fit the dry box in, but the hard knuckles prevent it from rubbing on the tubes.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I had them leave the thwarts and thwart attachments off of my new Hyside, for that reason exactly. It saved me a bunch of dough, too!

·
Registered
6 Posts
box sliding back and forth

I hadnt thought about the frame making the tubes a little closer Im looking at putting a frame on my nrs 12ft and have been looking for a box to put on it but all I can find is a 26 inch box and I have about 32 inches between tubes, do you think that this will leave a lot of room for the box to slide back and forth or do you think it will not have as much space between the box and tubes as Im thinking there will be

·
Registered
158 Posts
I hadnt thought about the frame making the tubes a little closer Im looking at putting a frame on my nrs 12ft and have been looking for a box to put on it but all I can find is a 26 inch box and I have about 32 inches between tubes, do you think that this will leave a lot of room for the box to slide back and forth or do you think it will not have as much space between the box and tubes as Im thinking there will be
Yea, going to shift like crazy. Are you familiar with the adjustable collars used to keep DRE captain chairs in place? Two of those will work like a charm or wait till you find a bigger box. I say max out your dry box space. Can't have too much in my opinion.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I havent seen them Ill look into them I really dont like the idea of having any space between the tube and box as I agree I want the most storage space as possible I just really dont want to pay for a custom made box is 32in just a weird size? I know from working on the river that every gear raft ive rowed was much larger than mine and the boxes where made for those much larger rafts but I havent had much luck finding one in the size that Ive been looking for, I guess a custom made box would be my only option unless someone knows of a company or place that makes different sizes

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I havent seen them Ill look into them I really dont like the idea of having any space between the tube and box as I agree I want the most storage space as possible I just really dont want to pay for a custom made box is 32in just a weird size? I know from working on the river that every gear raft ive rowed was much larger than mine and the boxes where made for those much larger rafts but I havent had much luck finding one in the size that Ive been looking for, I guess a custom made box would be my only option unless someone knows of a company or place that makes different sizes
I went through this when I was setting up my cataraft with a 66 inch NRS frame. I couldn't find a 34 inch long dry box. The smallest stock ones I could find were 36 long. So I got mine custom. Sorry, not answer you were hoping for.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I recently got a custom box and was not charged extra -- give a call or email to the supplier/ manufacturer-- they may help you out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
that would be great I love how nice they are I will have to get in contact with a company to get a quote, I did some looking around today and have come across some military surplus stuff that is roughly the size I am looking for, its a little wider than the normal boxes that are commonly used but they are sposed to be water tight and wont rust has anyone used these before or known someone who has the cheap price is really tempting to try it out

https://www.armyjeepparts.net/p-2953-waterproof-medical-cabinet-nos.aspx

ebay search I found one for about 70 bucks and I read a few forms that you can get them cheaper at auctions and such any thoughts?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Becasue the hinge on the army surplus box appears to be halfway down the box, you probably couln't open it w/o lifting it out of the raft frame -- for the price though, it might be worth it, especially if you only kept "night" stuff in it.

Edit: Oh, now I see it opens longwise -- maybe it could open while dropped in the frame -- would still need some clearance. Edit: And now I see a few differnet photos there (some for related product), looks like one has no hinge at all -- just lifts completely off.

Argh. I haven't had enough coffee yet! Basic point: be sure you know how the box opens and account for it in your thinking.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I recently got a custom box and was not charged extra -- give a call or email to the supplier/ manufacturer-- they may help you out.
I had a custom box made fro my 12 foot raft as well. No extra charge. That being said, if you put a 26in box in and strap it down swell, it should not shift too much. My current boat has about 6-8in of clearance between the tubes and it fits snug using two sets of loop straps to hold it in place.

·
Registered
787 Posts
that would be great I love how nice they are I will have to get in contact with a company to get a quote, I did some looking around today and have come across some military surplus stuff that is roughly the size I am looking for, its a little wider than the normal boxes that are commonly used but they are sposed to be water tight and wont rust has anyone used these before or known someone who has the cheap price is really tempting to try it out

ebay search I found one for about 70 bucks and I read a few forms that you can get them cheaper at auctions and such any thoughts?
I've used those boxes too, I love them for kitchen supplies because the opening is 31in x 19in. It makes it really nice to get in and out of in camp. A few concerns though, the box is going to fit in your frame sideways which means the seal needs to be really good to keep the box dry and you are going to have two buckles potentially rubbing up against the floor of your boat. When I used this box I rigged it on a false floor in the rear of the raft with the lid facing up.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have seen those in the local surplus store. The price is right but I could not find one in that store that actually seems to seal up tight. All of the rubber seals were shot I think. Or missing completely. It was metal on metal and there was clearly some play in the system leading me to believe it wasn't going to be dry at all. maybe splash proof. The latches did not snap tight, which is unacceptable.

I thought about getting one and finding some rubber stripping to seal it with but in the end that felt a lot like work and the result was not assured.

Then I thought more about the design of the medical cabinet and thought it would be hard to get it full with such a deep lid. You would have to carefully stack stuff and sneak the lid on I think.

Ultimately I went with a couple of frontier play dryboxes. I have been happy with them for the price. bone dry so far, though the softer outer weather stripping needs replaced after 2 seasons and 30 days of use.

Unfortunately it looks like 26 would be the only size that would fit.

I have about 2' of play between my cat tubes/frame and boxes. they do not seem sloppy to me. They never shift. I understand maximizing capacity but for the price I paid combined with my tendency to pack light I have been happy.

If this attachment works this is my entire gear load for a 5 day trip in the fall. 15' cat, frame broken down, 2 dryboxes, 1 pelican, 1 bucket with fishing gear that I should have left home.

Attachments

·
Registered
986 Posts
Those boxes are clunky and heavy. 19" is a pretty standard size of frame opening for rocket boxes, so there is a possibility it can fit right with a little Jerry rigging. But I used one of those boxes for about two weeks and sold it off. I much prefer the aluminum, hinged lid boxes, for both car and river camping. I echo the thought that a custom sized box is available for little to no extra cost, go that route if the budget allows.

·
Registered
245 Posts
On my current and last 3 boats I had dryboxes custom made so they would the entire space/distance between the tubes, but I put adhesive backed mini-cell foam (the thin stuff) on the box to reduce abrasion. It's probably overkill, but I do this to stiffen the boat because, after thwart removal, there is nothing to hold the tubes out where they belong from side to side.
That is one way of doing it....

Another way would be to put some D rings on the inside of your tubes where your thwarts are. You can then run a strap from the interior D ring out to your frame and use it pull your tubes out to where they would be if the thwarts were there.

So it would look something like this...

It works for me anyways...

:cool:

·
Registered
245 Posts

They are a little cheaper at Coleman's Military Surplus...

Medical Transport Chest, U.S. G.I. Aluminum Medical Transport Chest [134801] - $79.95 :: Colemans Military Surplus LLC - Your one-stop US and European Army/Navy surplus store with products for hunting, camping, emergency preparedness, and survival ge

Price has doubled since I bought some 5 years ago..

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I have a friend who uses one of those military boxes. She uses a drop bag to hold it. The only complaint I have heard is that she's not crazy about the 10 latches. I don't think she's ever put it through a flip, so no info on how waterproof it is?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Mine both passed the test of being held under water for the time it took me to drink a beer whilst sitting upon it when i got them.

They are still dry when I use them now.

The 10 latches do require some patience.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts