Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking around and I saw plateau was running. I need a good class four to take some people down. Is buzzard a good choice? I think piedra might be a little to much. thanks, Johnny

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Even if it's just barely running, I'd be up for a trip Friday and/or Saturday. Anybody know? Thanks.

COUNT

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, I just found a guage on american whitewater that says about 190cfs. Minimum would be 500cfs. The problem i have is relying on American Whitewater guages as they are sometimes the wrong link to the wrong guage. This one looks kinda legit so...anyone a little help?
thanks, Johnny

·
Registered
490 Posts
Hey Guys,

Buzzard's kind of a pile, IMO.

We ran it last year and were a little disappointed. It's not that it couldn't be good, but it would take some cleaning and then a lot of water (>1000 on Plateau) to get good. I want to say that the Plateau gauge was about 600 when we did it (mid-April) and it was super boney. It got upto like 2,000 for a while last year and that would of been rad. Lot's of little feeder streams between Buzzard and the Plateau gauge.

It's a class IV run, but with enough juice to make it fun the hazards would come up on you pretty fast. You should take this weekend to go clean it! Just take wire cutters instead of chainsaws. All the fences are probably seasonal and you might just be able to detach them and set them aside without even hurting anything.

If you have ethical issues with that, think about what 2,000 cfs and floating wood must have done to those fences last year anyway. Flood, barbwire, and wood, it would be like storming the beachs at Normandy except you're there voluntarily??? :shock:

·
Registered
703 Posts
Not yet Johnny, I wish it was. The barb wire isn't that bad If you know where to look for it. Im thinking cross mtn if I can get a group to go. Ive never done it though. Either day is an option.

Josh

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Do you have the link to the AW gauge and did you figure out whether or not it is one of their dependable gauges or not? Thanks.

COUNT

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
http://americanwhitewater.org/gauges/id/7916/
Hope the link works. It is only a link for plateau creek located on the buzzard page. Plateau page doesn't even have link to a gage.
When i looked at plateau yesterday (on mountainbuzz) and the link above (on american whitewater) the levels did not match. I am going to go with mountainbuzz/phateye on this one, they haven't failed me yet.
see ya, Johnny

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Yeah, I've been checking the Plateau gauge semi-regularly. I thought maybe there was a gauge ON Buzzard. Oh, well. Thanks though.

COUNT

·
Registered
80 Posts
the mesa

I was up on the mesa this morning to ski....it snowed up there a little the past two days. Not sure the level, but visually Plateau is up a little bit from last week, but still nothing much to write home about. From the looks of the snow level, the put in to Buzzard may have got a dusting too. So it's still not all that warm up there.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Count,

If I had to guess, I would estimate that 75% of what you get on the plateau gauge is what you'll have on buzzard. Per my previous post, I wounldn't bother unless you see about 600 or more. . .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts