Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to area/sport and looking for partners/clubs/groups to hook up with in the Denver area. Interests/thoughts and recommendations??

·
Registered
305 Posts
New boaters group

Were a group of Newbies, Rusty’s and Class 2&3 boaters from on the Front Range.
There is always someone from the group out paddling something mellowish somewhere, days, nights and weekends. Check out the link and join us for some fun, roll practice or maybe even a swim!!!

Colorado kayakers
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Coloradokayakers/

·
Registered
335 Posts
I too find myself in nomans land my bros either want to do stuff thats over my head or play the same hole/playpark endlesssly,on the other end my beginner friends are afraid of the stuff i like.Maybe we could start a group for intermediates to advanced but not hair boaters,like Rasdoggy's group,call it the CLASS IV CHACHIS
CWA is a good organization and everything but i prefer a less structured group just friends runnin' stuff and enjoying a few cold ones afterwards
rocky call me if you want to run something 303 399 8572 jay

·
Registered
40 Posts
cayo - I'm with you. Not into the club thing - just running rivers and having fun with friends. I am also looking for people to paddle with that like the more advanced but not 'the hair'. Give a call 303-870-3223 - Kris

·
Registered
25 Posts
I with you Cayo

Hey Guys, I just moved to Denver this past August from the Northwest. I paddle class III at the start of the season and usually progress in IV later in the season. I just boated the Westwater section of the Colorado two weekends ago.

I am a teacher and I am out of school as of this Friday. Unfortunately I am headed back to the Northwest for the remainder of the summer starting June 6th.

I would love to paddle: Pumphouse, Something on the poudre, Deckers, Lower Clear creek, Taylor, or Brown's canyon.

If anyone is interested give me a call:

local 303 - 306 - 7376 leave a message I never pick up this phoneline
cell 314 - 304 - 3074 best way to get a hold of me

Hope to find someone to paddle with this weekend.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My definition of intermediate to advanced runs: Numbers, Royal Gorge, Upper/Lower Mish., Browns, Lower Clear Creek.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Fort Collins Boaters...

For those of you in Fort Collins area or those that boat the poudre often, Check out the CSU "outing club" (outdoor club). Lots of kayakers in teh club. Its not very organized, just a mailing list where people send out messages to get together for "trips". You dont have to be a student either, i used to be but am not anymore so any fort collins boaters are encouraged to sign up. To sign up for the mailing list go here:

Also, Im setting up a whitewater saftey/rescue class throught the club being taught by Nick Wigston on the Poudre in June, the class is only $125 for 2 days of on-river instruction. Get on the mailing list for more details.

http://www.acns.colostate.edu/?page=frame&src=http://www.colostate.edu/Services/ACNS/listserv/subother.html

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replys

Intermediate to me is class two competent, class three capable and/or class four willing/learning. It covers a wide range. I just started paddling and have picked it up pretty fast. I have run parts of the Ocoee and Chatooga, but with people who know the river and the moves. Looking for similar paddlers interested in hooking up and learning/pushing/teaching.

·
Registered
335 Posts
HEY,
I guess my basic definition is III-IV- =intermediate,IV -V- = ADVANCED,I guess some people would distinguish easier class v from real hair eg. continuos solid v, v+ and vi drops.All that gnar is way beyond me.I agree with whoever said they like to start easy and progress to harder stuff through the season, with stuff crankin i'm perfectly content to stick to 3-4 stuff until after peak then when i feel i'm going good do solid 4 and survive some4+
i have done all those runs you mentioned,pumphouse and deckers are beginner runs,was thinking along the lines of dumont ,upr .clr.crk &lwr.,bouldercanyon,lefthand,big t(2-4-,4-4+,4 bookrun that bridge is no more)gore crk. upr. eagle etc.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My paddlig group has pretty much disintigrated. People quit, got busy....whatever.

I'm a III-IV boater done the majority of the local runs. Mostly boat the Poudre.

Anyone want to try to get on Gore Creek this weekend?
Maybe the Ark?

I would rather like to arrange something than try to hook up with people at the put-in.

-Andy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Boat'n the Ark

Hi Andy,

I'm looking for some folks to boat with down in the BV/Salida area this weekend. I'm a III-IV- boater. I'm going to be camping down there for the whole weekend. I'm not up for the Numbers yet (esp. at these flows), but up for anything else. Let me know if any interest.

Dallas
-------------------------------------------------
My paddlig group has pretty much disintigrated. People quit, got busy....whatever.

I'm a III-IV boater done the majority of the local runs. Mostly boat the Poudre.

Anyone want to try to get on Gore Creek this weekend?
Maybe the Ark?

I would rather like to arrange something than try to hook up with people at the put-in.

-Andy

·
Registered
228 Posts
For those of you who say "I'm not into the club thing"...

As a boater, the CWWA is still worthy of your support. They do a lot of great things for the boating community at-large. I'm sure you benefit from their access efforts...which are numerous and time & resource-consuming. Look how they've responded to the recent Elk River situation (from an email I received):

I wanted to give props to Mark Robbins for taking the time to drive up
to Steamboat Springs and address the Routt County Commissioners, who
were being asked by certain landowners to deny a Conditional Use
Permit to Bucking Rainbow outfitters. The landowners objected to the
permit on the grounds that boaters who float on water that flows over
their land commit civil trespass. Routt County granted the permit,
and Mark was there on behalf of CWWA to advocate for the right of all
boaters to float over private land (understanding they do not get out
of their boats and commit criminal trespass). It was a big time
commitment, but also a great opportunity for CWWA to advocate for the
right to float, work with a very respectable commercial outfitter, and
make CWWA's presence known outside the front range. Thanks Mark.

So, yeah...the CWWA is still worthy of your support, even if you "aren't into the club thing".

[/end rant]

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'll be camping near BV this weekend...

I'm going camping with a bunch of non-paddlers near BV this weekend, and I'd like to hook up with some folks too. Probably going to camp in the national forest around Mt. Princeton or Mt. Antero (free and less crowded). I'll be heading down there around noon tomorrow, and want to paddle Browns on Saturday, and maybe the Numbers on Sunday. I took a year off, and haven't been on moving water with my new boat yet, so I'm going to start easy, and my confidence level after Saturday will determine whether or not I run the Numbers on Sunday, or Brown's again. Let me know if any of you are interested in hooking up before hand...there should be plenty of room for extra tents where I'll be camping. We are a pretty roudy group of mid 20's that like to drink beer with loud music blasting late into the night. 4 wheel drive is necessary.

Clint

[email protected]

·
Registered
84 Posts
You guys who are in BV, Dallas, Eric, Clint...

I can only boat on Sunday. Anyone of you willing to meet up sunday Morning.

I am willing to do Browns or Numbers. Doesn't matter. I just want to get on the river.

-andy

·
Registered
335 Posts
No offense intended to CWWA,Iappreciate the work you do,not a member but should be,that goes triple for AWA.That said it's just not my personal style to meet up with 68 people at fishermans bridge,if thats your thing more power to you,but should,make that will support you guys financially for the access and legal work you do.
Hey you guys that tried to contact me,sorry not to get back to you my plans for this weekend are very indefinite as of yet to many damn variables.I wrote down the numbers will call you another time,hope you get in some good boatin'

1 - 20 of 20 Posts