Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Thanks Shapp. I really like it. Only problem may be size. The Kekla 30, which they call big, is about a foot wide and a foot 1/2 long. Good for small fires though. Man, this would be a GREAT new product tho - - a lightweight firepan that folds down compact.

·
Registered
490 Posts
shapp, great link! that site has all kinda cool stuff. Didn;t you get a tipi from them last year?

as far as firepans go i like this one (of course you'd need a barge to haul it in) and it has legs!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
It does have legs, although they look short. You can see them in their folded out position on the sticks so they don't sink into the snow. The only regulation on height I've seen is for Dinosaur (there are probably others) and it's 4" off the ground, plus a fire blanket. These legs might do that.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
When you read the "more information" part of the ad, it talks about there being many holes in the bottom of the firebox for good ventilation/air flow for the fire. Not sure if this would pass muster as a fire pan ???? I like the fold-up aspect.
KJ

·
Shapp
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While it may not meet regs at several rivers, the idea is what is more intriguing, the 30 is 20" x 12.6" nearly the same as a Partner Mini, but appears to fold much more compact. It would be easy to actually produce one with removable legs that meet any requirement as well as reduce the holes in the bottom if they are actualy there. Mostly I think it is interesting for kayak self support which I am increasingly interested in doing more of.

·
Registered
503 Posts
It appears to be made of sheet metal. I don't see where it specifies the guage of the metal, but I'd be concerned that lightweight sheet metal would warp and/or burn through. And if it really does have vent holes in the bottom, it is useless as a fire pan.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Possible warping/burn through is a valid concern. But these things appear to be sold to true nordics, where mild temps are just a few degrees below zero. The metal has crease-lines in it, and the ends are not welded, so remain free for expansion. I bet they hold up. But if they are bottom-vented, n/g. I've seen old sheepherder stoves made similarly and they will last. If only used a few times per season, I'd love to see someone build something similar for river use. The compact, lightweight features are what attract me. Getting lazy I guess. Don't like to carry tons of "iron" around anymore!

·
Shapp
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It appears to be made of sheet metal. I don't see where it specifies the guage of the metal, but I'd be concerned that lightweight sheet metal would warp and/or burn through. And if it really does have vent holes in the bottom, it is useless as a fire pan.
Its the idea of a good collapsibe fire pan that is of interest, a red flyer aint going to fit in my kayak yo! :)

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Its the idea of a good collapsibe fire pan that is of interest, a red flyer aint going to fit in my kayak yo! :)
Check out this idea from a recent fire pan thread. Looks pretty interesting.
The Fire Pan | Self Support Kayak Camping
http://kayakcamping.amongstit.com/2010/02/25/the-campsite/
Made from aluminum, so I had questions about warping? I was thinking about making one of these, only a little bigger, but decided to try and add legs to my collapsible Partner mini first.
KJ

·
Shapp
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Seen that a long time ago, what I am really interested in, is a small collapisble pan that meets regs with no bolts or screws and all parts connected. Warping is going to be a problem with any metal box subjet to high heat unless it is so thick as to render it to heavy for self support kayaking. Aluminum warping isn't really the issue compared to steel per say, I wouldn't make an aluminum fire pan because I think I could melt that thing with ease. I think making somthing similar to the collapsible pan I posted a link to made of titanium with no holes in the bottom and foldable legs would be a bitchin setup for kayak self support, like some of the material used to make the smaller wood stoves made by TiGoat or 4 dog.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Ok, so this does look really nice. Went poking and did find a review of it here:

Tentipi FireBox Mini Review

Which confirms it has holes in the bottom and also does not have legs, just rods to allow resting on rocks.

While it'd make it heavier, I wonder if you could cut some aluminum panels to fit in the bottom to cover the holes. It'd still leave the issue of legs to raise it up, but I think that'd be fairly easy to rig as well.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
In that Kayak self support thread I referenced above, it looks like they were lining the aluminum fire pan with a fire blanket. Would that work to overcome the high heat/melting problem with aluminum? Then you could do as jtnc suggests, and use some aluminum bottom panels with the Tentipi fire box and fashion some legs.

We're trying to make this idea work for you Shapp.:):):)

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I wouldnt build a fire directly on a blAnket for worry it will give off gases or otherwise deteriorate
True....Now that I think about it, the fire blanket instructions do say to build your fire on a 1-2 inch mound of soil. Not sure about the off-gassing aspect?

OK, scratch that idea :(
KJ

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Yo Shapp
I was just looking at the Partner Steel website, and it says they now have a smaller, lighter version of their mini firepan designed for kayakers that passes the size requirements. No picture, dimensions, or weight on the website. Might be worth a call or e-mail to see what they have.
KJ

·
Shapp
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It isn't about helping me out, I can pretty much build what I want, its finding the right ideas. And also spuring american companies to do something different. Look at the choices commercially available for a lot of the stuff we use. It is kinkd of stagnant in the rafting industry, small variations in the same thing. Ocassionally something very interesting comes out, like the wild goose engineering stuff, too bad the gusy seams to be a horrible bisness man (based on my attempt to procure some of his fittings). Anyway, just trying to stir the pot of inovation.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
. Ocassionally something very interesting comes out, like the wild goose engineering stuff, too bad the gusy seams to be a horrible bisness man (based on my attempt to procure some of his fittings). Anyway, just trying to stir the pot of inovation.
The Wild Goose stuff was really awesome. I was hoping for some of his oar towers. When I talked to Alexis, he said the problem was that in order for him to make any money at all (or break even) on his products he would have to charge a lot more money than what he was charging. I think he's still working on ways to make some innovative stuff, but keep the cost down. I hope we see more of him and his cool gear.
Good luck with the fire pan ideas Shapp.....let us know what you come up with.
KJ

1 - 20 of 47 Posts