Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
two or three of us are planning on doing the Milk run on the arkansas this weekend if anyone is interested. We would love to have more people. We are not set to that exact run or day but open for sat or sun or both.
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
milky

Access to the Milk Run, where 285 crosses the Ark is tricky. The State sign says no boating put in and the nearby rafting folks will demand a fee. They are negotible.

Have a great time!

-Dan

·
Registered
69 Posts
Milk Run is a good beginner run. If you want to step it up, the Rincon to Vallie Bridge is fun advanced beginner run. Four named rapids (II-III), Badger Creek, the Flume, Tin Cup, Red Rocks. Refer to the CRC for details.

·
Have paddled a Quest
102 Posts
I'm curious about the access issue at the Milk Run put in that Dan mentions. I haven't done it in at least a year, but the last time I was there access was free at the Johnson Village bridge on river right (next to AAE, across the river from Wilderness Aware). I thought I remember that it was a fishing access point, and open to the public. Very little parking right there, but access to the river was free and public. Has that changed? As far as I know, fishing access points are open to boaters as well; I have used several other fishing access points along the Ark in addition to Johnson Village.

AHRA provides great facilities at Rincon and many other locations along the Ark- I would encourage folks to pay the $2 and support AHRA if you are doing a run with access via AHRA locations. The Milk Run put in is not at an AHRA location, but the two take out locations- Fisherman's Bridge and Ruby- are.

Have a great weekend! :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Marco said:
I'm curious about the access issue at the Milk Run put in that Dan mentions. I haven't done it in at least a year, but the last time I was there access was free at the Johnson Village bridge on river right (next to AAE, across the river from Wilderness Aware). I thought I remember that it was a fishing access point, and open to the public. Very little parking right there, but access to the river was free and public. Has that changed? As far as I know, fishing access points are open to boaters as well; I have used several other fishing access points along the Ark in addition to Johnson Village.
The gate behind rafting company is closed. You have to pay the rafting company to walk accross their lot onto the ramp that you would have accessed through the public gate. There is also a sign next to the bridge that states that it is a fishing access point and off limits to boaters.

·
Have paddled a Quest
102 Posts
Lurch said:
The gate behind rafting company is closed. You have to pay the rafting company to walk accross their lot onto the ramp that you would have accessed through the public gate. There is also a sign next to the bridge that states that it is a fishing access point and off limits to boaters.
Hm. That's interesting. I had always accessed the Milk Run in front of AAE (not behind) right next to the bridge- actually putting in underneath the bridge. I had seen a fishing access sign there before, but no mention that it was off limits to boaters. Perhaps I was subconsiously ignoring that part... ;) However I have put in there at least 6 times in the past 10 years and never seen that it was off limits to boaters. I will likely be down there this weekend, and I will check it out. Sounds like something has changed.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I didn't notice it til this year either, during the river clean up, but there it is..."no boating access" on the sign next to AAE, right off the bridge.

If you're going to do the Milk Run, do yourself a favor, just put in across the river at Wilderness Aware. They have built a nice ramp/access, with plenty of parking. I'd prefer it over the slippery hill climb anyhow. It is only $3, come on!

Off to Gunnytown. Have a great run!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts