Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing a surf trip in California this winter and I'm taking my playboat for when the conditions get too shitty for fun on a surfboard.

Any advice on a few tricks to start with? I've spent a lot of time in the ocean in my boat but never really got past carving and flat spinning and the occasional lucky vertical move. My playboating skill level is at the level of throwing a few half-assed cartwheels in the bleacher hole at Golden and I want to get past that. Is a blunt about the easiest thing to throw on a wave?

·
Registered
269 Posts
If the waves are big enough and green enough to allow a bounce you can work on airblunts. Because of the extra push you get from ocean waves you can get some large bounces. The key to turning a bounce into a blunt is to switch edges as you ollie the boat, once you have that edge transition you throw your stroke to push the bow down and get the move vertical. Then turn that stroke into a backstroke to land and establish a backsurf. Edge to edge transfer is key for blunts on any feature.

If they are closing out, and the break isn't super shallow you can try wheels and loops in the pile. I also like to launch some wave wheels or kickflips on the way out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts