Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
KevMo
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been running rivers for for a number of years and am finally getting into kayaking. I don't see myself ever creeking and will focus on multi days in moderate to high flows on nothing above Class 1V. I have an opportunity to pick up a newish demo from most of the big names. Friends have recommended the Wavesport Diesel and Liquid Logic boats.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Liquidlogic Kayaks

I think those look sweet and would be a great way to multi day - but if your looking for a smaller boat I would look at:

Pyranha - Burn
Liquid Logic - Remix
Jackson - Super Hero

Just about any creeker can handle what your looking for as well and have the most room for gear, do you know if you want a displacement hull creeker or something with edges like the Diesel and those I listed above?

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have been running rivers for for a number of years and am finally getting into kayaking. I don't see myself ever creeking and will focus on multi days in moderate to high flows on nothing above Class 1V. I have an opportunity to pick up a newish demo from most of the big names. Friends have recommended the Wavesport Diesel and Liquid Logic boats.
Seems like if you are SURE you're not ever creeking or running really steep Class V, you might look at the bigger LL Remixes. They are super comfy, will hold a ton of gear, and yet have a hull design that's a little retro: speed and edges and fun to just surf. LL's have the best plastic, hands down. Otherwise, seems like a big Burn wouldn't be a bad choice, either.

·
Registered
269 Posts
There are a lot of great boats that will meet your stated goals. The choice comes down to which blend of handling characteristics suits your style. Any large-sized boat will accommodate the gear you need for overnighters, so it's less a question of volume and more a question of hull style and outfitting. You have the option of longer "retro" boats like the LL Remix and Pyranha Everest that will give you some extra speed while giving up some quick maneuverability and playfulness. Or you could go with river runner/creekers (not that you want the creeker part, but these boats will work in that application) like the Jackson Super Hero, Pyranha Burn, Dagger Mamba, or WS Diesel. These will all surf better and have more overall manueverability because of their planning hulls and edges, especially in big water.

True creekers with more rounded hulls like the Jackson Rocker, Dagger Nomad, WS Habitat, and LL Jefe are not as well suited for the type of paddling you are after, but they will work in a pinch.

Since you're planning to spend a lot of time in the saddle, pay close attention to how comfy the outfitting of a given boat is for you. IMO, Jackson and LL lead the pack in this regard. The Jacksons are more easily adjustable on the fly, which can help if you're decreasing the load in your boat over the course of a long trip.

-Mark, Team JK

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
A boat the would seem to work well for class IV or under overnighters is the Prijon Hercules. It is large and the HTP plastic requires no foam pillars so the storage space is HUGE! Its long so its pretty fast, and while I didn't like the boat for harder stuff, it would certainly be a good boat for overnighters if space is a major factor.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Demo Demo

I agree with Mark's statements regarding going with a type that is comfortable, since you are going to lean towards paddling for long periods. That said, you would be well served (IMHO) to spend a considerable amount of time demoing boats under some "real world" conditions. From personal experience, the way a boat feels on the shop floor does not equate to how it feels on the water, especially with gear in it.

I have a 2008 Jackson SuperHero and I love it (lots of room, comfy, easy to adjust on the fly, enough edge to carve with and so some surfing and handles big water without any problem at all), but I've heard raves from those who have the new ReMix... but I would try out the others mentioned in the thread...

Just my two cents...

jim

·
KevMo
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks...

There are a lot of great boats that will meet your stated goals. The choice comes down to which blend of handling characteristics suits your style. Any large-sized boat will accommodate the gear you need for overnighters, so it's less a question of volume and more a question of hull style and outfitting. You have the option of longer "retro" boats like the LL Remix and Pyranha Everest that will give you some extra speed while giving up some quick maneuverability and playfulness. Or you could go with river runner/creekers (not that you want the creeker part, but these boats will work in that application) like the Jackson Super Hero, Pyranha Burn, Dagger Mamba, or WS Diesel. These will all surf better and have more overall manueverability because of their planning hulls and edges, especially in big water.

True creekers with more rounded hulls like the Jackson Rocker, Dagger Nomad, WS Habitat, and LL Jefe are not as well suited for the type of paddling you are after, but they will work in a pinch.

Since you're planning to spend a lot of time in the saddle, pay close attention to how comfy the outfitting of a given boat is for you. IMO, Jackson and LL lead the pack in this regard. The Jacksons are more easily adjustable on the fly, which can help if you're decreasing the load in your boat over the course of a long trip.

-Mark, Team JK

Mark

I fully appreciate this reply. Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts