Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am trying to get a WW kayaking trip going for my school, we have a strong outdoor program (caving, backpacking, car camping, xc skiing, climbing, and lake kayaking).
Right now the plan is to do a 3 day raft supported Chama run, fri-Sunday somewhere from August-october. Raft carrying food and stuff that will weigh down the boats. The school does not have Boats, skirts, helmets, or paddles (which we need to rent, probably from NMKI but I kind of want to not necessarily give them a whole lot of money). Have the trip lead by an Level 4 ACA instructor, I have a friend who wants to do it and I am going for a certification later this summer. Spending the flatwater parts working on techniques and then scouting and running the last section of rapids then driving back on the sunday. Insurance we can register through ACA I think.

Any logistics im missing? What should I throw in to make the pitch more likeable?

·
Premium Member
4,836 Posts
Sounds like you have thought it through quite well. I would file the application for ACA insurance early. Sorry to be a buzz kill on NM water again, but my experience has been that's its pretty rare to find (baring a significant monsoon season) the flows necessary to float loaded gear rafts that time of year. Good luck, sounds like fun.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@caverdan It is going to be High school aged 9-12th graders

@imyers oh dude no worries on being down on NM water, it is true, there is nothing good down here, I just want to make sure theres enough water for probably one gear raft to float down and for kayaks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts