Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to find some information on older Riken rafts. I'm specifically looking at a 1997 Riken Hualapai. It seems to be really difficult to find much info. Does anyone have any references? Any personal opinions? Are these hypalon? Would this one be made in Japan? Thoughts?

Thank you!

Matt

·
The Russian
1,389 Posts
I had one from 1998 I think and it was a Riken Nez Pierce. It was a hypalon boat with i-beam floot and military valves. It was a 16 footer with diminishing tubes and 5 chambers. I still have plenty of video of my old boat on varies rivers on my youtube channel.

Everything on it was still original, the stripe had to be reglued and I had to change a valve in the floor. A couple of patches here and there and it was still in decent shape to go down any class 4.

Personal opinion: great boats, solid, even after so many rivers. I sold it to a good friend of mine who still uses it to date.

·
Jared
733 Posts
I started on them when I was 10 years old back in the 80's. My details might be a little fuzzy, but they were imported through a company called B & A distributing and retailed through Andy & Bax in Portland, Oregon. The grey/ silver color is the best, most durable material, and yes, it is Hypalon. My first IK was a Riken, and we have had several Riken rafts in our paddling group.
My Dad has a 1996 Riken Pioneer that is still in great condition, despite flips, pins, and regular use. (It was out on the North Santiam this week) It has never had a leak, puncture, or even an issue with the military valves. The only real problem I have ever seen is blown I-beams on the floors. The first raft I rode in was a Riken, and it is still being paddled today. (It's a blue 1986 15' self bailer)
I wouldn't pass up a good deal on a Riken, but I wouldn't pay a fortune for one either. The biggest thing to look out for is moisture in the air chambers. This will rot and degrade the material from the inside out. So if you are looking at one with a patched floor, do your best to check for any moisture in the chamber. The material is only coated on the outside, so water will ruin the backing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts