Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lemon Reservoir flows increase to raise capacity

Herald Staff Report

The Florida River Water Conservancy District has begun increasing the release of water from Lemon Reservoir to test recently repaired outlet gates, flush debris and sediment below the dam and make sure the reservoir has adequate storage capacity to handle the spring runoff.

The current flow, 100 cubic feet per second, will be increased over the next week to 800 cfs. That level of flow will continue for at least a day and then gradually decrease, depending on the level of inflow.

Water officials anticipate that the spring runoff will be 160 percent of the 30-year average.

http://www.durangoherald.com/asp-bin/article_generation.asp?article_type=news&article_path=/news/05/news050408_1.htm

·
Super Moderator
4,034 Posts
Dolores Operating Plan Available

Hey Dan,

Don't forget about us rafters that will be heading down to SW Colorado!

Here's the 2005 release plan for McPhee Reservoir on the Dolores:

http://doloreswater.com/Operating Plan.htm

--Andy

·
Registered
580 Posts
They did a similar test last year on the Florida. I wasn't able to get on it, but it looked sweeeet! There is a lot of wood in places on the creek, so be careful as it will end up in new places.

Anybody keeping up with the status of Miller Creek?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Andy- I guess I should be more concious of my counterparts who float ABOVE the water! :wink: Hope you have a great weekend!
-Dan

·
Registered
374 Posts
Checked on the flow of Miller Saturday, it was about 20 CFS. Late April/early May, it is going to be big. I am heading up next week to do some work if anyone wants to join me.

Anyone who has run the Florida from Lemon down knows what a pain it is trying to find a take out point. I live on it and run it frequently. Anyone should feel free to take out at my house. I live in Forest Groves. There is about 150 stairs on river left about 5 miles below the dam, you can't miss them.
My address is 521 High Trails Drive. Go right in to Forest Groves (10 miles up Florida from town) off Florida, right on High Trails Dr., cross the river, go to the top of the hill. my house is (2) story green stucco. Feel free to park in my driveway, just don't block the road. You can see the top of the stairs if you look towards the river from my house. Please drive slow thru my neighborhood.

Steve.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I ran the Florida on Friday at about ~300 CFS, this was by far the best level I have run it at. I think it will be a quality run if it goes as high as 800 like the paper said. Unlike the fall releases it picks up steam as you head down the river. I am running it today (4/11) at noon but looks like it has come down. Steve I really appreciate the access but I have never had problems with access. I always take out at CR245, it works great and there is ample parking. Is there any good whitewater further down? I am thinking of running it when the water peaks.

If anyone wants to run it after 5, give me a call
749-1789

·
Registered
374 Posts
Not sure what lies below 245. There are a couple of good surfers behind the ObarO, right above 245...

Can't make it this week after work, but next week for sure. I'll give you a shout.

Steve.

·
Registered
37 Posts
What class is Florida? Any decent beta on rapids for someone who has never run it? I wouldnt mind doing it tomorrow if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Today is the day, 825 CFS! I am going to try to run it on my lunch break if anyone wants to join me, if not after 5pm. I also have all of Wednesday off but I am afraid they are going to turn it back down.

Stonej, I always have trouble judging the class of a river. At fall release (162cfs) I took a class II boater that did not have a role down and he did fine and loved it. Last week at over 300 it was much more continuous and had some log hazards, the small ledge drops began to form holes but I would still say just a III+. I will let you know in a couple of hours what 825cfs is like. :D

·
Registered
399 Posts
Florida TR

825 out of the damn, the best level yet. The paper said it was going to hit 800 and then bring it down. I would go soon. I am not sure of what class it is but there is alot of wood and man made hazzards so be on your toes. I would not think a class III boater would have a good day on the river, it is very continuous. There are plenty of eddies, you just have to be ready to grab them. Stonej give me call in the morning if you want to go, I have the whole day off so I might be on the Piedra, otherwise I am in. :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sweet. I consider myself a class III/IV paddler and have done some steeps back in TN (where I am from). Shoot me a # to call you at in the morning. At the very least, I'll go up in the morning and road scout it to see what it looks like and determine if I'll run it from there.
Peace,
Josh
615-498-7831

1 - 12 of 12 Posts