Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to buy an inflatable kayak (ducky) for friends and family to run rivers with me during vacation. i have been looky looing at the sevylor riverx for some time now,but i dont believe it has thigh straps? any sugg?

·
Registered
1 Posts
marv said:
looking to buy an inflatable kayak (ducky) for friends and family to run rivers with me during vacation. i have been looky looing at the sevylor riverx for some time now,but i dont believe it has thigh straps? any sugg?
Marv, Thigh Straps are important. You get what you pay for. Air boats are bomber and user friendly. Riken is tried and true. The Sotar boats are more aggressive. I just bought a Sotar 11'. I have had Sevylor in the past. They are descent boats for the money. Hypolon rolls up easier than PVC and Urathane. Good Luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm pleased with the Aire Tomcat

It's Aire's cheaper imported model. The big difference, I think, is that the side tubes are thinner than the top-end Aires. The Tomcat is a little more money than River X's (and I know some people who like those fine), but I think you get a better boat -- more stable, more rocker, better quality. It comes with a nice seat, we added foot pegs and thigh straps and it was still only about $500. My fiancee is an inexperienced boater and she has used it on a bunch of Class III without any problems.
Only regret is that we didn't get the double - with one paddler, that would be easily big enough for self-support trips.

·
Super Moderator
4,035 Posts
I've been kicking myself for getting a Seyvlor a couple of years ago for friends to paddle on river trips. The one I have sits low in the water so your bum will be in 2" water, the valves bring to mind the expression about "there's the right way, the wrong way, and the French way" and the bracing system leaves quite a bit to be desired. The bladder construction can be a hassle also. The only really good thing about Seyvlor is that the seats have lots of nice features like pockets and adjustments.

Spend the extra money on a better IK with single-wall construction and bracing system. While you're shopping remember that one person can paddle a 2-person IK as well as do self-support or carry a couple of bags while you'll be more limited with a 1-person IK. So think about your planned uses of the boat too.

SYOTR,

--Andy

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
go with the thigh straps and foot pegs

Foot pegs are really important. Always feel like you are slumping and puts way too much pressure on the lower back. Thigh braces are key to for stability.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have a Sevylor svx and an AIRE Lynx II. I mostly agree with the comments above. The AIRE is great, the SVX, less so.

The Sevylor is a small one person IK. It's good for a kid or a smaller woman, say up to 140 lbs. More than that and, yes, they will constantly sit in water.

The AIRE is much more stable than the SVX. But, I've seen smaller people have quite a bit of fun in the SVX. A nice thing is that the SVX is small enough for them to easily maneauver it.

What Andy says makes good sense--think carefully about how you will use it. Spending a little more money may really be worth it here.

You can also rent IK's from Confluence Kayaks and that ski/paddle shop in Golden, forgot what it is called.

·
Registered
335 Posts
marv,
i am abig fan of aire duckies the lnyx and force.The lynx is agreat all purose boat plenty of room for multi day self support in the one man. the force is better for creekin and play but is less forgiving and not alot of gear space(i think they make a model without the float bags so more space).i like the one man but the best duckiest i know has two man he paddles solo on v and really big stuff they are guaranteed for 10 years this co. kicks ass!the tomcat is a knock off of the lynx made in china and has pvc instead of uerathane bladder to reduce cost it is probably adequate for most applications except bony creekin thats hard on boats don't know if aire warrantees them for as long.
i was interested in the sevy river x but seems to be alot of negative feedback a guy in the raft club uses a 2 man sevy on 3 4 sems to do just fine there 1 of each for sale cheap down at AAA inflateables downtown good luck

·
Registered
335 Posts
marv,
checked out some specs for you :the river x does come with thigh straps, the tubes one the tomcat are slightly bigger in diameter not thinner as someone said.
i don't know what Andy means by single wall constuction one of the main benefits of aires is that if the outer skin is punctured the inner tube still retains air the outer only protects and forms it

·
Super Moderator
4,035 Posts
Regarding single-wall vs. bladder construction - I personally prefer single-wall construction due to the hassles a bladder boat can have. Examples include the possiblity of wrinkles in the bladder when you air it up, grit and sand getting in between the bladder and outer skin and wearing it out, the fact that you'll always have some water between the bladder and outer skin (and nasty stuff if you boat someplace like Confluence) unless you open it up and pull out the bladder while allowing the skin to dry separately. If I were on the market again I'd throw down the extra bucks on a hypalon or bomber PVC duckie with durable construction.

Just my two cent's worth...

--A

·
Registered
90 Posts
Although I have an AIRE lynx II and am therefore biased, I recommend getting this IK. It is big enough that two 200 lb guys can float calm water without sitting constantly in 2" of wet, somethng that is a problem with most duckies. Here's a pretty extensive site http://www.theboatpeople.com/iks.html with info about many popular brands (excluding Vanguard) and applicable reviews. Have fun!

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
I don't have much info on IK's, but I've had Aire cat tubes for about 8 years and I haven't had any problems with grit wearing out the tubes. I had to replace a valve once, and the bladder system made that pretty easy. I think it's a pretty bomber system, but some might argue that the outer PVC hull is more susceptible to wear and tear. One thing for sure- you can repair a tear or puncture pretty quick on the river with an Aire repair kit.

·
Registered
43 Posts
hi. we've had several inflatables in the family as my boys progressed in their boating skills and for friends to use on float trips etc. here's my 2 cents worth. spend the extra money. your whole day can be killed constantly pumping up a cheap boat that springs a leak. comfort, stability, the fun factor all figure in. people who use inflatables need a positive experience to enhance their future river love.

in my opinion an aire lynx is about the best you can buy. strong, stable, hard, comfortable, good valves and worth the extra bucks. as close to a hardshell in performance as you can get in an open boat. i like the bladder system. we've had people with no river experience do just fine going down the san juan and deso and parts of the colorado.

we've had a nrs maver2k for many seasons. it's okay. small tubes make it a wet ride and for some reason folks who paddle it just don't take to it. it repairs easy, the valves are good. it’s a great downriver craft. lots of commercial outfitters use them though.

before he developed a bomber roll my older boy used a sevlor riverX. they come with pegs, thigh straps, etc. for the money it's a good deal. we picked ours up for around $300. but, we've also had leaky valve problems, one bad bladder they required a full boat replacement, and they skin up easy. i think they have to much keel but they do paddle well on the flats. it’s not a long term investment. as someone posted, the valves leave much to be desired. very stiff if you can keep the air in it. surfs well, maneuvers good, hard enough to punch big stuff. but they are nothing close to an aire.

some friends of ours used two different boats on long trips, and they loved the hyside 1k. big tubes. stable. stiff. comfortable. on another trip they used a jacks plastic something or other and didn't cotton to it at all. in the hyside they ran westwater with style. in the jacks they swam skull. which isn't running down jpw. i have one of their cats and love it.

there u go.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the great feedback. After what I heard hear about the riverx i decided to go with stearns IK116 1 person. Yeah its a cheepie (retail $479.00) I hope it's not a bathtub like the sevylor. I got a reasonable deal $369.00 no sales tax free ship from outback outfitters in MN. If my friends can run some class III safely then I'll consider it money well spent,and if I like inflatables as much as i love hard shells Im sure Ill have 5 of them this time next year.LOL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not that I can offer much, just thought I'd pipe in with my 2 cents. I think you will be happy with what you bought. I myself have the Stearns IK 116-SB, the open face self bailing model, and its great.

I just started in this sport, and I took this boat down Clear Creek from Idaho Springs to Kermits (class II - III or so). The run is alot of fun, and the boat held up well. My only complaint is that later in the season when the flows were really up, the self bailing feature couldn't keep up with all the water, and I would end up swamped a bit. Though, with the model you purchased you probably will not have as much of a problem as I did as yours seems to have a bit more enclosed cockpit.

Good luck!

Shaun

1 - 15 of 15 Posts