Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a recommendation on an infant PFD? I've only found the Stohlquist for below 30 lbs...which is fine, but just curious...anyone have one they want to part with? :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nemo

That seems to be the best one I can find. There are quite a few type II, but not many with a crotch strap, pillow, zipper + buckle, and a handle...

·
Registered
109 Posts
I bought an mti for my 2 yr old last summer. We tried it out on a 4 hr flat water river float and she hated it. I think it's a good pfd though and she'll be more into it this year. She also hated wearing a bike helmet early in the summer but learned to deal with it so she could ride on the back of my bike. The infant mti we bought at an outfitter so we got to put it on her and ensure it was a good fit before buying it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Does anyone have a recommendation on an infant PFD? I've only found the Stohlquist for below 30 lbs...which is fine, but just curious...anyone have one they want to part with? :)
For an infant ?

To each there own...but .....that is some precious, extremely delicate cargo for a raft.

Paddle on

Scott

·
Registered
250 Posts
He's grown six or seven pounds from last year, but we had success with the Stohlquist Nemo last summer.. Seemed to fit him well at just under thirty pounds..

I'm sure you'll be careful, but get your kiddos on the water!!!

-Micah

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hey micah

Wow....great stuff

I LOVE seeing my kids and yours having that level of fun ! :)

One paddling dad to another....a suggestion......

purchase a mini max, puma, class raft.

reason

1 ....VERY EASY to talk to each other....my son and I have had some wonderful conversation on river, because it is easy to talk, when you are side by side !

2......fun for the whole family ! 2 adults + 2 kids is a very safe and ride...2 adults can eaisly control the boat.....but your boy looks ready for a paddle :D

3....very small and light boats for strorage and transport.....heck my mini max will almost fit into a xl duffel bag from walmart,

I have had, and still have great fun on the river r2ing with my son....he is now 17....calling paddle comands.....I have similar photo as yours....mine is of him, in a duck....simlar look of escatsy on his face ! he ran all of gates of lordur, one summer all 4 days in that duck ! ...he never got into the raft...age was like 10-11

Glad your young one is stoked on the water !

Kayaks are Great ! ... just keep your mind open to r2 rafts...they have many benifits for father and son teams. :cool: ;)

paddle on

Scott

·
Registered
538 Posts
My wife and I just had a baby boy a week and a half ago. Not this summer but hopefully next would love to get him on flat water. What would be recommended for a 1+? And is that still to young to have out? I'm new father.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hey micah

Wow....great stuff

I LOVE seeing my kids and yours having that level of fun ! :)

One paddling dad to another....a suggestion......

purchase a mini max, puma, class raft.
Great suggestions.. I've been a guide for over fifteen years so I intend on doing plenty of rafting as well.. We have IKs but the mini max would be especially awesome over the next few years. Also intend on doing a little SUP with him.

Had a friend give me a kid's paddle so as soon as we see a little warmer weather we will be getting his arms moving.

Kayaking is my choice sport, but as I enter my 30's, I see myself as more of a waterman than exclusively a kayaker.. Will definitely look into investing in a mini max or puma soon!

-Micah Kneidl

·
Registered
250 Posts
My wife and I just had a baby boy a week and a half ago. Not this summer but hopefully next would love to get him on flat water. What would be recommended for a 1+? And is that still to young to have out? I'm new father.
The answer I love to your question is "if you have to ask, the answer is no.." But I don't mean that in a disrespectful way. However, I think that as long as your certain you'll be safe on flat water, the answer is yes. I personally would have taken my boy out on flatwater at six months.

Look at the previous suggestions for infant PFDs. I think the Stohlquist might be a bit big on a 1 year old. Any good fitting PFD is better than nothing, and on flat water, a whitewater PFD might not be totally necessary. This is for you to decide. I'm sure you have good judgment. :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Congrats on the baby Steamboatborn. When I bought the mti my daughter was one. We took our 12' raft on a flat water River run. I have a raised mesh floor I put up front. I had my 1 yr old and 4 yr old niece play w toys on the floor. Had my wife and sis in law up on thwart with them. Each kid had a parent so there was plenty of attention to snacks, warmth, toys, umbrella when it began to rain. Other than her hating the life jacket being on, she played and slept. We had a great day. My wife's pregnant now so I haven't been out with them this year. I don't want to push it. Rather go by myself unless my wife is up to the job. It's a lot of work. I've guided for years so it seems easy for me, but can be stressful for her, so I want it to be a good time for them so they don't hate boating. I can't wait til my little ones old enough to go without the extra adult or when she can r2

·
Registered
441 Posts

In my opinion, the decision on when to take your kid on a flat water trip should be based on the outcome of several car/tent camping trips. If they do well on those, it may be time for some floating.

I don't think that it should be a contest of who can get their kids the most time on the water at the youngest age, but with my kids I did find that getting them out camping and floating at a reasonably young age helped them get used to the dynamics of camping and river trips. If you don't ease them into this stuff, even a long car ride can be unbearable for a little kid (or parents). Just make sure that you are doing it for the right reasons, not so that you can be the most hardcore parents around.

It seems to me that if a kid isn't at least walking and capable of active play, then he/she will get none of the benefits of a river trip and won't be able to remember it. In other words, you will just be subjecting your baby to uncomfortable conditions and putting yourself through lots of work, but if it is neccicary for the parents mental health to get on the river, then I suppose that is a pretty good excuse.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Great suggestions...... Will definitely look into investing in a mini max or puma soon!

-Micah Kneidl

Hi Micah

You flater me with your euthanasia for my suggestion. :oops:

Aire makes great boats, the puma is a very good boat, and America made :grin:

For your use, I would recommend the mini max,...on water both boats are very good....it is off the water were they are different. The max is significantly lighter, and rolls smaller than the puma.

Do not underestimate this difference and its importance.

To me less is more....lot of gear in this game !

Paddle on

Scott

·
Registered
538 Posts
The answer I love to your question is "if you have to ask, the answer is no.." But I don't mean that in a disrespectful way. However, I think that as long as your certain you'll be safe on flat water, the answer is yes. I personally would have taken my boy out on flatwater at six months.

Look at the previous suggestions for infant PFDs. I think the Stohlquist might be a bit big on a 1 year old. Any good fitting PFD is better than nothing, and on flat water, a whitewater PFD might not be totally necessary. This is for you to decide. I'm sure you have good judgment. :)
Thanks for all the help!

Oh I would take him on flat water this summer If he was big enough for a PFD. I asked the question because of sizing, I am sure there is a minimum for the infant life jackets.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks!

I'll definitely check out the MTI. I have some friends that own the Stohlquist, so maybe I'll try it on him.

·
Registered
229 Posts
We actually put the kids in a LL Bean jacket for comfort. They were comfortable for long floats, kept their heads up when in the pool, and durable. Gave it away after two kids and it looked like new.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We actually put the kids in a LL Bean jacket for comfort. They were comfortable for long floats, kept their heads up when in the pool, and durable. Gave it away after two kids and it looked like new.
Wow, that LL Bean has great reviews for comfort, float and usage. I might consider the child for my daughter, too. She has a vest, but I think I might purchase something different. The neck area looks less restricted than other vests that I've looked at...and I have a big (little) boy!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts