Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Below is an e-mail I received from one of the water managers for the Chama:

Good morning all.
I am e-mailing to tell you all about a brief, but really significant flow planned for the Rio Chama this weekend. I apologize for the delay in sharing information, but the details were only finalized with all of our partners yesterday.
The release from El Vado will rise to about 1000 cfs and then to 2000 cfs this Friday, April 25. It will be maintained for several hours and possibly up to one day if there's enough water. The flow will be reduced in steps over Saturday and Sunday and will ultimately drop back down to about 300 cfs on Sunday. These flows are meant to flush out some of the sediment in the Rio Chama for the benefit of the trout and other species in the river. The water being moved belongs to the Middle Rio Grande Conservancy District. It will then be stored in Abiquiu under an agreement between the district and the Albuquerque Bernalillo County Water Utility Authority. It took a tremendous effort from all partners to make this spike flow occur and we are hopeful it will be environmentally beneficial. Please feel free to e-mail or call me if you have any questions about this.
Have a great and safe weekend. Regular weekend rafting flows will begin in about a month!
Mary Carlson
Public Affairs Specialist
Bureau of Reclamation
Albuquerque Area Office
(505)462-3576
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wish I could get out there this weekend but work and some lingering chest crud is getting in the way.

Someone please get out there enjoy it!:D
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
4,836 Posts
Looking like I am heading that way. Might need to hook up with someone for shuttle Saturday morning...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
I'll be there

I've been doing the wilderness run on the last weekend before permit season every year for the last 3 years, this will be year 4. This year looks like extreme wind, rain and possibly snow, with flows ending in elf conditions. I can't get there until ~noon Saturday so I'll probably miss the peak flow, but it beats not being on the river!!!
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top