Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided after much thinking that i'm going to thru hike the appalacian trail starting in march..cant wait...

·
Registered
844 Posts
So you are actually going to fly to South America to be with your mistress, right!:p

Sounds like a cool plan, how far are you going and how are you going to do it?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well its a hike that is over 2,000 miles long it starts in goergia and goes to maine..It takes 6-9 months to complete depending on speed and health..ah you walk the whole way well hike actually with everything you need on your back.

·
Registered
676 Posts
should be a life-changer. i had plans to do the PCT 6 years ago, but i let a couple of things get in the way and never did the trip. good luck. go light. eat plenty.

·
Registered
844 Posts
What I mean is are you going to cache supplies (doubtful) or just plan on where you can resupply. To tell the truth, I have never looked into the trail but I assume you can get supplies on route.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
have fun. beautiful trail.
beware the packrats
bring lots of peanut butter
fond memories of the lemon squeezer in Harriman (NY)

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Good for you! I've hiked the end - Mt. Katahdin in Maine - and started the thru hike many years ago from the southern terminus, but bailed due to poor planning. There are a lot of great resources out there to help you do it right.

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
There are huge failure rates for those that start. Plan it out well to make the initial effort worth your while. I used to live about a mile from the trail in PA. PA is considered the worst section because of the ankle breaking rocks and constant elevation gain/loss Most most thru hikers I saw were incredibly depressed and malnourished on the trail.

That being said, I hiked the trail regularly and enjoyed the trail and the many views if offered.

So have fun!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Definatly look around for info on the internet. There are a lot of differnet ways to do things...some better than others.

I know some ultra light thru hikers that are crazy but they have good ideas and know what works well and what doesnt.

Good luck and have a great time

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are huge failure rates for those that start. Plan it out well to make the initial effort worth your while. I used to live about a mile from the trail in PA. PA is considered the worst section because of the ankle breaking rocks and constant elevation gain/loss Most most thru hikers I saw were incredibly depressed and malnourished on the trail.

That being said, I hiked the trail regularly and enjoyed the trail and the many views if offered.

So have fun!
I have hiked the At in PA as well becuse i lived like and hour from it it does have so terriable awfull rocks but i cant wait i have done my research and have read many AT book and have read the guide covere to cover I should be ready..lol

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Most most thru hikers I saw were incredibly depressed and malnourished on the trail.
That's where the peanut butter comes in. I'm not familiar with any other product that offers the same cost/weight/calorie/protein content ratio of peanut butter. The ultimate provision for long distance eastern hiking.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I wouldn't forgo paddling. There will be plenty of stuff running from GA to Maine. Do some networking on Boatertalk or some of the other message boards. I bet you would find plenty of folks willing to pick you up at the trail and loan you a boat and equipment for a day or two.

·
Registered
769 Posts
If you're set on thru-hiking, be especially careful about injuries. I have a number of friends whose thru-hikes have been cut short due to nagging injuries. And nagging fiancées, but that's a different matter.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
What I mean is are you going to cache supplies (doubtful) or just plan on where you can resupply. To tell the truth, I have never looked into the trail but I assume you can get supplies on route.
Most people make re-supply packages and have a friend send them to way points during the hike. It's a big planning effort to figure out how many days of supplies and what supplies to put in each box. There are places along the trail (or within a few miles of it) that will hold the boxes for a few days or a week.

Ray Jardine wrote a book about how he and his wife did the AT, PCT, and CDT. This is a link to the new edition. There is a lot of useful info there - at least here was in the last edition - i haven't looked at the new one yet.

Amazon.com: Trail Life: Ray Jardine's Lightweight Backpacking (9780963235978): Ray Jardine: Books

·
Registered
146 Posts
Two pieces of advice:

1. Go light. If you're thinking about doing the AT, hopefully you've done some long-distance hikes and know this already, but the name of the game is covering miles, and it's much easier to do with a light pack. It also makes the experience much more enjoyable without 80lbs on your back.

2. Hiking poles.

Wish I had the time. Have fun!

·
H2 Hoes
107 Posts
hiking is for for people who cant party, partying is for people who kayak. Boating season is short take advantage of it.

Hey im just joking have a great time carry lots of hard booze beer is heavy

·
Registered
60 Posts
Take a packraft

An idea would be to take a packraft and float some of the big rivers parallel to the trail, esp. in VA and run some cool creeks (like Hazel) in NC.

Anyway, it'd be sorta cool to mix up trail walking with paddling. You could get away with just a boat (under 5 lbs), a Sawyer Paddle (under 2 lbs) and an LTI Livery PFD (under 1 lb) -- so that's a whole boating package for under 10 lbs and get off those sore feet every week or so.....

If I were 30 years younger.....

·
Registered
178 Posts
I attempted a thru hike in 97. Went north, made it to Erwin TN, which somewhere around 300 miles before I broke my foot. Stress fracture. There were at least 3 others up to that point that year that had to end their hike due to stress fractures. The point is, pack light, take your time, and plan rest days esp at the beginning while your body is adjusting.

You'll walk right through the NOC and can get a boating fix there. As for farther north, I'll have to write back when I complete it...

Have a blast! You are gonna meet lots of great people, lots of freaks, and some down right frightening creatures. The time I did spend was awesome and I would (will) do it again in a heartbeat... as soon as I finish things like raising my kids!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've done sections but a thru hike is a dream. Wish I could do it but my wife and the kids need to eat. I live out here in NC. Shoot me a message with some dates and I'd be happy to get you a resupply.

Note - make sure you check the springs you'll rely on for water with USGS. We've been pretty dry here for a couple of years and some good springs aren't consistent right now. I've been carrying more water because I've seen several 'good' springs dry this year. We're supposed to have a wet winter, so that may improve. Who knows.

As for boating, I've got some extra gear and a boat or two out in the shed. You'll be going through an area with some prime water at a great time. If you need a ww fix I might be able to hook you up.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts