Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for people who have experiences with these four boats. I'm looking for a boat that will perform well on Big Water class 4 . Not looking to carry gear. I am pretty experienced with my Tomcat Solo just looking for something with more maneuver ability.

Thanks!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have 2 Aire Force IKs. Love them. They are super responsive and a ton of fun! I can't speak for the other models you're looking at.

·
Registered
487 Posts
You said you were after "maneuver ability" - Thrillseeker tops that category. It may be slightly slower than the others in flat water, but not noticeably unless you're putting in 25 mile days... I've had a couple of Forces and loved 'em, but they are tippier than the others - except the Lynx, which I only paddled once for about 15 minutes and just didn't like, to be honest. Sotar felt (to me, some folks, especially big ones - 200 lb.+ - love 'em) like a pillow, sluggish and took an extra stroke to turn/go where I wanted (but stable). Thrillseeker - or if you can find one, the Stiletto - is in a league of its own for Class IV, even hard Class IV+. If you don't want to shell out/wait for the build on Thrillseeker, the Force is a great boat that you can get to fit well and is the easiest to repair on the list (Aire bladder cell system). You see more Thrillseekers in the Southeast, more Aire boats in the West/PNW. If you can, try both and see what you like...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You said you were after "maneuver ability" - Thrillseeker tops that category. It may be slightly slower than the others in flat water, but not noticeably unless you're putting in 25 mile days... I've had a couple of Forces and loved 'em, but they are tippier than the others - except the Lynx, which I only paddled once for about 15 minutes and just didn't like, to be honest. Sotar felt (to me, some folks, especially big ones - 200 lb.+ - love 'em) like a pillow, sluggish and took an extra stroke to turn/go where I wanted (but stable). Thrillseeker - or if you can find one, the Stiletto - is in a league of its own for Class IV, even hard Class IV+. If you don't want to shell out/wait for the build on Thrillseeker, the Force is a great boat that you can get to fit well and is the easiest to repair on the list (Aire bladder cell system). You see more Thrillseekers in the Southeast, more Aire boats in the West/PNW. If you can, try both and see what you like...
thanks for your help I will research both of those 👍

·
Registered
103 Posts
How do they perform in high volume class four rivers?
My only experience with them have been on the Main Payette, Cabarton, Owyhee, and a few trips down the Middle Fork. They performed quite well on those rivers! They can carry next-to-no gear, but that's ok with me. That's not why I got them.

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Not an IK guy really, had a Hyside padillac years ago and liked it, ran III and IV, this year on our Grand trip the kids brought a Cronin Ugly Ducky Products – Cronin Inflatables and ran damn near every rapid in it including Hance, Horn, Crystal and Lava. The only swim was in Granite, they were lapping it on layover day. Very stable, and very maneuverable.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I was a hardboater, but not very good at it, and never really got a roll, I found an aire force XL (same hull as the current tributary strike) and have been paddling the heck out of it since 1999. It is a great boat, and I actually found the force XL expedition on the buzz used and got that too. The gen 1 forces have very little rocker and can weather vane a bit( and get pointed by waves and water) but they are crazy fast. Because of the length of the water line, the boats are blazing fast. The newer forces have way more rocker, and turn faster, and resurface quicker, but there is a loss of hull speed. I have surfed, spun, and run big water, low water, and low enough water that I really should have done something else that day, and I really love the boats. I would like to get a current force for the fleet, but, I think I may have reached my boat limit. Maybe.
The Force family (with the exception of the expedition) achilles heel is absolutely no room for any kit whatsoever. I like to go out with a small FA kit, pump, and sometimes a repair kit too, and definitely water and snacks. (I have a winter insulation layer I have to maintain) and there is no room. I strap a seakayak deck bag on the stern and stuff things in there, and someone on the buzz modded a force for storage here
I would like to paddle a thrill seeker again, but I have found (6'2" 230) that the Force XL/Force family is it for me.

Cheers

·
Registered
122 Posts
I paddle a SOAR 14 foot inflatable canoe at high water down to low water on Brown's, Lawson down on CC, Foxton and love it. Have a big 7'6" kayak paddle and feel bulletproof. Was hoping to run Gore Canyon for Gorefest while there were many safety crews out but it was Covid'd. Hopefully next year

Super stable and very responsive. Bonus! It'll haul a lot of gear fore and aft. The Hypalon is bomber and it self bails quickly after punching big holes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Looking for people who have experiences with these four boats. I'm looking for a boat that will perform well on Big Water class 4 . Not looking to carry gear. I am pretty experienced with my Tomcat Solo just looking for something with more maneuver ability.

Thanks!
I concur on the Thrillseeker.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts