Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I started in an IK a little over a year ago l, and freakin love it! I’m in New Mexico. I bought an Aire Lynx 2 for a couple of reasons. I bring my children out for easy runs and they fit with me in there. Also, because I’m a big guy, 6’3”, 270 lbs. I love the Lynx, but I want to invest in a boat for when it’s just me and I’m going on harder runs. I want something with a little more maneuverability, and something I can just have fun in, maybe eventually getting up into bigger water.

I’m pretty much down to 3 options, but if you have more, fee free to add.

1. Large Ugly Ducky by Cronin inflatables.
Haven’t paddled one, but people seem to love them. I think I could handle bigger water, but might still feel like I’m driving a school bus.

2. Custom Inflatables Thrillseeker.
Haven’t paddled one of these either, but the concept seems pretty awesome. Send measurements to Attila, the owner, and tell him what you want, and he builds a new boat. Maybe a little more tippy, but could probably handle everything still, might just swim more.

3. Aire Lynx 1. Just get the smaller version of what I’m used to.

What do you all think?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
A list of the ducks generally considered the sportiest would be something like;

Aire Force
Thrillseeker
Sotar*
Lynx
Stiletto*

Tibutary Strike is a more economical duck with an aggressive design and an offshoot of Aire, so quality.

Just going from a 13 ft. Lynx to a 10 ft. Lynx will be a big improvement control wise .Outfitting it really well with he best footbraces-seat-thigh straps can also be a huge benefit.

* don't know if the Stiletto is a Sotar but they both have good reputations

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
My first IK was a ThrillSeeker. My advice is to talk to Attila tell him your measurements and see what he thinks. Long time hard shell kayaker now in IK due to back injury. The ThrillSeeker Attila built for me is the closest IK to a hard shell that I have seen.

I recently purchased an Aire Outfitter. Love that boat. Plenty of floatation in these tubes for me at 200 lbs. Easy to paddle in WW water and very comfortable.

If you want a sporty ride see what size Thrillseeker Attila thinks will work for you.

If you want comfort and stability talk with Aire about the proper size Outfitter. I have the solo and the tandem Outfitter. You might want to paddle the tandem Outfitter solo. I have not done that but the tandem Outfitter is a lot of fun with two paddlers.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Aire force recommends weight at about 185. Paddling an older one at about 220. So probably nix the force. I just paddle it because i have it.. NRS now has a design similar to the force in a bigger size. Migjt be worth a look.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Really can't go wrong with the Lynx, especially if you plan on never doing any super gnarly white water.

My vote is Lynx or Tomcat, whatever you can find a great local deal for.

·
Shapp
1,819 Posts
My brother in law is a big guy and 6'4" and in the 250-300 pound range and finds that the outfitter 1 handles his height and weight a lot better than a lynx. I don't know what "super gnarly" means, probably varies by person, but paddling solid Class IV is very attainable in a lynx or outfitter 1 for regular mortals such as myself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts