Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on an IK, preferably used, for Xmas.

My 1st choice is a used solo Strike. Anyone have one they may sell?

Next I am trying to decide bet an Animas[RMR], a tomcat or an aquaglide Klikitat. Any input wrt these to help me decide much appreciated.

I cannot find any really good end of season outfitter discounts. Even Backcountry is not having any good sales on this.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Tributary Tomcat, runs well big water I'm taking it on the grand ran it on cat and its good on technical rivers and creekish runs.

·
Registered
592 Posts
NRS Bandit. My buddy has been running one with us for years on some of New England's Classic IV/V creeks, Nesowadnehunk, Gulf Hagas, Bottom Moose etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That one is a bit too pricey. I might as well get a lynx for that amount. I am looking for something under 700$.

·
Registered
182 Posts
The Outlaw

Looks like NRS no longer makes the Bandit, and instead makes a very similar model called the Outlaw. I have a tandem Bandit that has been a great IK for me. It's super lightweight, which is why I bought it, and it's easy to care for. Perfect for packing into hard to reach areas and the boat plays super well in class three water. I've heard that it can be a little squirrelly in BIG water, but nothing that a confident paddler won't adjust too. Gotta love NRS equipment, and really its cost is approximate to the RMR and Aire stuff. Just sayin, I love my Bandit.

·
Registered
592 Posts
It's a great little inflatable, I used to C-1 a Bandit on the Kennebec all the time for a low consequence change of pace. Great option for a duck, and super durable.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Jared
733 Posts
I'd stick with the NRS or the Tomcat. I've paddled a Tomcat, and I like them for the most part. I think the NRS is a little more performance oriented, but I don't know what kind of water you are doing either. I had a Force XL for 10 years, and I loved it in some situations, hated it in others. I really like the hull designs of the Thrillseekers/ Sotar IK's, they seem to be the best blend of what I am looking for in an IK.
I have seen the Animas, and I have my doubts it is going to perform well with over 200 lbs in it. They are short, and there really isn't much flotation in the floor. I'd be curious to see how it did when it got buried in a big hole with 200 lbs of paddler in it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have the tomcat and love it.

That being said, the Animas does have the Leafield valves and includes built in thigh straps...with the tomcat, you have to add the thigh straps extra and the valves are downgraded...

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Learch, what in particular did you like/dislike in the Force XL. I paddled one for a couple of years also. Didnot like how the floor bulged out in the middle below the waterline . This "keel" caused me to flip when it hit submerged rocks. It was good in big waves, did not get to try bigger drops or falls in it.

Longmont, I have thigh straps so thats not a big deal. Did you find that the Tomcat seating was very high? Did this affect stability/tippiness?

·
Registered
181 Posts
With the tomcat, you have a couple of choices with seats...the boat comes with the thwart seat...I tried this out and chose to go with the cheetah seat instead. With this configuration I don't feel that the boat is tippy...but I haven't really had it in the gnar yet.

·
Registered
30 Posts
tomcat

Thought I would toss in my 2 cents. I have a couple of tomcat solos, lynx solos, Innova safari and sunny and a superlynx 2. I used the tomcat in rougher water and on longer trips because it is more stable and holds way more gear than the lynx 1. They are a bit slow on flat water and don't track well. I lucked into the superlynx at a great price. and there is no comparison to the other boats for quality, stability and speed, so it is the boat I use now. It is a bit more difficult to turn. The 2 downsides of aire products in my opinion is the liner system and the seats. All aire seats are crap. and won't support any back weight. so if my boat is empty for a day run, I have to put a cooler or 5 gallon water can behind the seat for support. The liners are a problem for storing the boats. unless you disassemble the boat after each use, it takes FOREVER for the water to dry up between the liner and hull. Even in N.M. I leave them outside hanging on the fence for a week to dry. If you do not and just roll them up, they will mold. One layer boats like the innova's, nrs bandits etc dry out in an hour or so and can be rolled up and stored. Another problem might be transport of invasive species between the liner and hull. something to think about unless you store your boat aired up which kind of defeats one major benefit of an inflatable. Other than that, I like the way the aire boats handle and their quality. Also the liner saved me on one trip when I ripped a 2 foot tear in the bottom and was able to finish another day and a half with the still intact liner hanging out the bottom.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
IK purchase

So I bit the bullet and ordered a Sevylor SK 100 DS. The deal on Amazon for $279 could not be passed up. Also, I did my due diligence and read all the reviews here on the Buzz, and by far the majority were favorable. The few vids on youtube showing it being paddled on cl 3 somewhere in Europe were quite convincing also.

Anyway, the die is cast, lets see how it goes.

·
Jared
733 Posts
I am a pretty big guy, (300 lbs, long torso, balanced like a drunk man on stilts) and I didn't like the keel much either. Low water stuff was where I would spear the bow on something because the originals had no rocker to speak of, or a rock would grab the floor.
That said, big water stuff was a blast, I could plow through big waves, pretty good size holes, and and even with all of my tonnage the extra float bags would help with bailing and keep me moving. Basically, any river where I didn't have to worry about hitting small rocks I was happy, but I like little creeky stuff.
I prefered my wife's too small for me Sotar 10' IK in 1000 cfs or smaller rivers. Lots of rocker, slick, flat floor, and just enough flotation to keep me afloat. I'd like to try an 11' Sotar, I'd probably fall in love.

·
Registered
1 Posts
JIMM, the Sevylor is actually a pretty good boat. I had one as my first IK and did very well with it in up to class III+. For the price, it's a great value. I eventually upgraded to an Aire Strike, but later bought a tandem of the same Sevylor that you just bought to have around in case I have some extra folks that want to get on the water. And because it has the plugs on the bottom, it's not a bad option for flat water either.

·
Registered
447 Posts
IK Forum

Yet another prime example of an IK forum specific topic, if you mods won't I'd like to know, why not?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts